The outdated tech you use (and why)

The things I use that are outdated, I guess the main ones are discs. I still use CDs for music, which are hated for not being as good as vinyl records or as convenient as mp3s. I use blu rays to watch films instead of downloads or streaming.

Another thing that could be seen as outdated is my Nintendo 3DS, even though it's only a couple of years old, some will say there's no point as phones and tablets are better portable gaming devices.

Also, I have a dedicated mp3 player instead of using a phone. I don't own a phone or have even used a phone. The mp3 player I use oddly is based on the Samsung Galaxy, so it looks like a slightly larger phone.

I also own a digital bridge camera, another thing made obsolete by phones.

The computer that I own is a desktop, which is about five years old. I guess it's outdated because of laptops, but even those are outdated as people now do the same things on phones and tablets.

Desktops foreva. Even if you plug a laptop into a real monitor/keyboard/mouse while at home the price for power on a desktop is much lower than on a laptop and they're easier to tinker with replacing the parts as you franken-computer the computer for several years to expand it's lifecycle.

Phones and tablets can function as computers, but they suck as computers. Badly.

Dryer sheets? Dude, outdated. I love my bar.

Interesting! I use downy balls, are those outdated? Noclue.

Desktops foreva. Even if you plug a laptop into a real monitor/keyboard/mouse while at home the price for power on a desktop is much lower than on a laptop and they're easier to tinker with replacing the parts as you franken-computer the computer for several years to expand it's lifecycle.

The main problem with the desktop is that it takes up a lot of space. Using a laptop as a desktop takes up a lot less space. I think it's become easier to upgrade laptops, as someone I know upgraded their laptop to have 10 GB of RAM.

Desktops suck. They always completely freeze when running 3-d games and graphics intensive software such my favorite space software, forcing me to do a total reboot. It's why I stick with laptops, 'cuz I get error messages instead of system freezes. It's been my experience my entire life. My only issue with laptops is the manufacturers make it damned difficult to update the graphics drivers properly for my space software to render properly. :mad:

Desktops suck. They always completely freeze when running 3-d games and graphics intensive software such my favorite space software, forcing me to do a total reboot. It's why I stick with laptops, 'cuz I get error messages instead of system freezes. It's been my experience my entire life. My only issue with laptops is the manufacturers make it damned difficult to update the graphics drivers properly for my space software to render properly. :mad:

That should be a software issue rather than a hardware one, unless you have parts with loose connections, are clogged with cat hair, are dying/etc, but that happens with laptops too.

I've tried to use a tablet to modify an excel spreadsheet, it was horrifyingly bad. I suppose you could get a keyboard/monitor/mouse attachment for a tablet, but then it's just really really slow for the money.

And they certainly don't game. Given that I don't like having a cell phone on me, how well do you think I'm going to tolerate the miserably clunky interface of "mah fingerz too big pokepokepoke" slowing me down? :)

This post makes no sense at all. If anything a properly built desktop will own a laptop across the board. More room, more ways to get rid of heat, much easier to upgrade, etc.

I have a stack of failed laptops sitting out in my garage in the time I've had my current desktop. A well built desktop will out a well built laptop 10 out of 10 times on performance.

This post makes no sense at all. If anything a properly built desktop will own a laptop across the board. More room, more ways to get rid of heat, much easier to upgrade, etc.

I have a stack of failed laptops sitting out in my garage in the time I've had my current desktop. A well built desktop will out a well built laptop 10 out of 10 times on performance.

I assume he just mixed up "desktop" and "laptop".

I've tried to use a tablet to modify an excel spreadsheet, it was horrifyingly bad. I suppose you could get a keyboard/monitor/mouse attachment for a tablet, but then it's just really really slow for the money.

Something like the Surface Pro isn't that slow - performance is going to be better than any sub-$1000 laptop without an SSD, and the type cover is pretty good for typing.

Why would you use a tablet to modify a spreadsheet? In a pinch, yes, but you wouldn't do it regularly. That's just not what they're made for. It's like, I'd have a hard time modifying a spreadsheet with a spoon, but that doesn't mean that spoons are bad.

Buy some call-girls on your new credit card!

(You know, for the credit history...)

Why would you use a tablet to modify a spreadsheet? In a pinch, yes, but you wouldn't do it regularly. That's just not what they're made for. It's like, I'd have a hard time modifying a spreadsheet with a spoon, but that doesn't mean that spoons are bad.

Sure, spoons aren't bad. They're very good for vapid media consumption. So long as it isn't a game. Or requires nuanced input. I mean, it's flat and it moves easy and makes you feel like you're on ST TNG! They're basically a portable TV with more functions with miserable sound unless you plug in headphones. Which would be useful if I generally ignored the world when I was out and about in it. Which I might if I lived in a city as a coping mechanism. Hrm, guess I can't fault anyone for that after all.

They're also connected to the entire internet. Like, 90% of my internet activity is just me reading stuff, or looking at stuff, or scrolling through stuff, or clicking on stuff, for which a tablet is very well suited. I can lay on my sofa and do internet things while I watch TV in the background.

They're also connected to the entire internet. Like, 90% of my internet activity is just me reading stuff, or looking at stuff, or scrolling through stuff, or clicking on stuff, for which a tablet is very well suited. I can lay on my sofa and do internet things while I watch TV in the background.

I was thinking the exact same. I'm lying in bed as we speak readin', lookin', scrollin' and clickin' etc. If I was sitting at a desk I wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested.

It's probably just lifestyle differences really then. I get enough random reading and processing at work(yay for mandatory unpaid long lunch breaks and no parking to be able to move your car). If I'm at home I still haven't managed to hook up TV reception(and I'm not paying for TV) 3 years after I last moved, so I don't think it's going to happen at this point as I've stopped missing it. Basically, if I'm going to read at home it's going to be a book, if I'm going to use my computer it's either going to be for composing something, or modifying pictures, or gaming or maybe even now and then a movie, all of which I find incredibly either incredibly clunky on the interface a tablet. I don't usually like doing bills/budgeting all that much to begin with, the interface slowing me down over mouse keyboard just pushes it over the edge from a mandatory mundane chore to infuriating. I'd rather use paper at that point and keep a file. Plus I guess it's somewhat just cash factor. Once you have a decent monitor for that desktop the parts, by comparison for relative computing power are just dirt cheap. And I can manage to replace them one or two at a time when they die/go obsolete.

Top Bottom