The outdated tech you use (and why)

A digital screen isn't very easy on your eyes either, a book is. Its sheet paper doesn't have a faint, cutting glow. It's also much easier to browse than a .pdf file and easier to take notes in (albeit a Search function would be nice)

I haven't updated my pistol to a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range yet :(
You mean you haven't installed a Cranial Psychic Amplifier that allows you to telekinetically throw objects at enemies or take control of their mind?
Luddite.

I still use "The Wheel" ^^ Mankind's greatest invention :) (right next to "the fire" and "tools" :D hehe)

WTF is an e-ink ? :confused:

Remember to blink regularly while viewing a computer screen. I know it is old fashion, but it keeps your eyes from drying out.

Remember to blink regularly while viewing a computer screen. I know it is old fashion, but it keeps your eyes from drying out.

You can also follow the 20-20-20 maxim - every twenty minutes, focus on an object twenty feet for twenty seconds. This will allow your eyes to take a break from constantly focussing at close distances, as constant computer use for months or years on end can train your eyes to be become short-sighted.

You can also follow the 20-20-20 maxim - every twenty minutes, focus on an object twenty feet for twenty seconds. This will allow your eyes to take a break from constantly focussing at close distances, as constant computer use for months or years on end can train your eyes to be become short-sighted.

How do you do that in a cubicle?
;)

Alternatively, get up and take a short walk. Your legs will thank you. :)

Yes this, e-ink causes me no trouble to the eyes. The narrower screen also makes it easier to read faster, because you have the whole of the line in your field of view.
I still prefer books though. Marking is easier. But most of all - I like having a book in my hands.

Some of this stuff is probably already covered:

I prefer to play board games for multiplayer interaction over computerized stuff.

I read paperbacks, largely because the price point is still not quite right for the stuff I like compared to discount paperbacks. And I guess I have a lot of older books I've collected that do not have electronic versions.

I run without an MP3 player--my old iPod nano has broke and I haven't replaced it. I don't think I've ever had an MP3 player with a color display.

I have never had a smart phone. My 6- or 7-year old Samsung flip phone still works fine and I haven't felt the need to replace it.

I have to wash dishes by hand (which sucks) because my tiny apartment doesn't have a dishwasher.

While I do use a washing machine, I don't use a dryer except for underwear and socks (too expensive). The rest of my clothes are line-dried.

I don't use much in the ways of social media--I don't have Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, or anything else like that. This is the only forum I am active on, although I used to have logins for a few others. I thought Facebook and its ilk was just a lame gimmick at the start, and now it just looks like a big waste of time. If I want to keep in touch with people, I use email or text them. Or call them.

I feel like people are mixing up "old" and "outdated".

A cast iron pan is old technology, but it's not outdated, because it still has plenty of legitimate uses and advantages compared to more modern pans.

An iphone 3G is outdated, because an iphone5 is better in every significant way.

I love my ereader, and will probably never buy a physical book again, but ereaders aren't at the point where it's fair to call books "outdated".

To be fair though I did leave it up to everyone to come up with their own definitions or criteria for what counts as 'outdated' in the OP.

Line drying might extend the life of your clothes, maybe this is a controversial opinion but i think it probably does.

It probably does. You just have to use liquid fabric softener or do without, which is fine with me as I hate those stupid dryer sheets anyways.

Top Bottom