The Rood and the Dragon - the Anglo-Saxon scenario

I'm having an issue in that when I start the scenario it comes up with a file error saying missing text for rise of Rome, paltrion.text icon bld.metal i have no idea what is wrong, I also have a similar issue with another scenario.

Then you must be putting the files in the wrong place.

Every scenario will have a .biq file and also a folder. In the case of this scenario, it has Rood.biq and a folder entitled Rood. Both of these should be placed in Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios.

Heh, that happened to me the first time I installed it. Went for an ingame Wiki-walk.

I have now updated this scenario. You can find the download in the usual place.

The update is mainly a graphical one, making full use of the best and most appropriate units and leaderheads that have been made in the years since the last release - and with a few new ones custom-made for the scenario, too. At last it looks how I originally imagined it! See the new screenshots on the first page of the thread.

I have also made some small changes to the rules. Corruption is higher, making the Cuneus more worthwhile building. Oh, and the Vikings will attack now. If you don't like this, there is a second biq included entitled Rood Classic, which is the same as the previous release (1.5), though still with the updated graphics, of course.

Hope you like it. Please post reports of the inevitable bugs.

OK, guess I'll have to play both the old version and this one on every playable civ and maybe unlock the Vikings, Irish, Picts and Welsh (according to the etymology, everybody's Welsh!) for good measure. (If you want full bug reports/testing I can schedule to do them as soon as I get my CD drive working again :))

Nice work! Looks very pretty, Plotinus.

If we already have the original can we just update it or must we download the entire scenario again?

I'm excited about this update as I'm considering doing a kind of prequal to this mod focusing on the romanised britons rather than the Anglo-saxons starting in 410AD when the last legions left. If I do it I'll probably use your mod as the base for it if you don't mind.

Nice work! Looks very pretty, Plotinus.

If we already have the original can we just update it or must we download the entire scenario again?

I'm afraid not - it's a single download for the whole thing.

I'm excited about this update as I'm considering doing a kind of prequal to this mod focusing on the romanised britons rather than the Anglo-saxons starting in 410AD when the last legions left. If I do it I'll probably use your mod as the base for it if you don't mind.

That's good to hear, and of course you can! Have fun.

Those poor hermits... :sad:

I had almost forgot how much fun this scenario is, and now it looks even better. Jolly good show, old man! :thumbsup:

By the magic of the editor provided by Sid.

All you have to do is make them playable factions. Although, yes, given that the Vikings are supposed to be sort of timed, it's pretty pointless to try. but Ireland is a good bet if you have the guts for it :)

I'm not sure which faction is which (in the editor it's England, Japan, etc., and I have to chose 8 of them) and yes, what I wanted was to play Ireland.

This is the playable factions list:
Mercia
Gynedd
Wessex
Essex
Pictavia
East Anglia
Lindsey
Dumnonia
Kent
Norse
Powys
Sussex
Northumbria
Deira
Ireland
Strathclyde
Hwicce
Denmark
Rheged

Check the Players tab in Scenario properties (Alt+Enter) and check the 'human player' tag for whoever you want to play. Player numbers are assigned in the same order as above.

Hi there. Long time player, first time poster. I am currently on my third download of this scenario, and I must say it really is a first rate game. Thanks and congratulations to Plotinus for all the effort, which was surely worthwhile.

I have a couple of questions, possibly which could be answered by trawling through this thread, but I was never much of a fisherman, so:

OK, I downloaded the new version, and settled in for a go with Mercia. I killed a few dudes, kept up with the tech, kinda. Built Sutton Hoo, tormented the Welsh, usual stuff. However, just as I enter the Christian period, I am informed that I have been culturally nuked by the Irish, and the game is over.

Here come the questions: Is this usual? I never even saw an Irishman. How could I have prevented this? Is this likely to happen every time? I swear it never happened when I played the game before. Can I disable the cultural victory option somehow? Also, when I elected to keep playing on a no point basis (so many Welsh to kill still), the original Rood music was replaced by the golf-hole flyover rubbish supplied with the vanilla game. Can I change this? How?

Thanks for your consideration, and, hopefully, advice.

LOVE, Boris.

Top Bottom