The thread for space cadets!

IIRC Hawking predicted that they can be very small and the smaller they are the faster they lose mass due to Hawking radiation.
So, the smallest ones have quite short lifespan and eventually disappear, probably with explosion.

I don't see why they should explode. They just stop being black holes and start interacting with the outside. They might evaporate even faster once the threshold is crossed, but that should not result in an explosion.

That we are not seeing an abundance of almost-black-holes (or explosions for that matter), is probably a good argument against an abundance of microscopic black holes. If there were many of them, we should also see many leftovers from those that recently evaporated.

I don't see why they should explode.
I read about this possibility a while ago, probably in "Brief History of Time".
That should depend on the rate of evaporation at the end of their lifetime. It can be "runaway evaporation" when the rest of their mass is radiated in very short time. Not a supernova-like explosion of course, but can be on the scale of megatons TNT.

Why would they stop being Black Holes if they get smaller, that is news to me that you could reverse the black holing of an object by just waiting it out.

The main problem with the tiny black holes is that we have no working theory how they would form at that size. The ones that do form are big enough that Hawking radiation losses are made up by the cosmic microwave background. So you need to wait for the universe to cool down before they'll start shrinking.

Stephen Hawking theorized in 1974 that large numbers of such smaller primordial black holes might exist in the Milky Way in our galaxy's halo region. All black holes are theorized to emit Hawking radiation at a rate inversely proportional to their mass. Since this emission further decreases their mass, black holes with very small mass would experience runaway evaporation, creating a massive burst of radiation at the final phase, equivalent to a hydrogen bomb yielding millions of megatons of explosive force.[21] A regular black hole (of about 3 solar masses) cannot lose all of its mass within the current age of the universe (they would take about 1069 years to do so, even without any matter falling in). However, since primordial black holes are not formed by stellar core collapse, they may be of any size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primordial_black_hole

I'm surprised not to see more about the NASA/SpaceX joint launch today. It's only a test mission, but it's the first manned launch from Florida since the last shuttle mission in 2011.

J

Very exciting. I read this from spacex website:

https://www.spacex.com/launches/index.html said:
The instantaneous launch window opens at 4:33 p.m. EDT, or 20:33 UTC, with backup instantaneous launch opportunities available on Saturday, May 30 at 3:22 p.m. EDT, or 19:22 UTC, and on Sunday, May 31 at 3:00 p.m. EDT, or 19:00 UTC. Tune in here to watch the launch webcast. Coverage will begin about 4 hours before liftoff.

What does "instantaneous launch window opens" actually mean? Will the rocket fire at that moment?

edit: this is the live stream on that page:

Last edited:
This is the jog before the 10K. Once the process is vetted, including the reusable booster and orbiter, NASA can get serious about a permanent base on the moon. That would be sweet and it could happen in five years.

J

well , the whole North and Northeastern of country lighted up by a meteor/fireball with the attendant boom , first reported to have hit a hill , now said to be either in Georgia or exploded mid air over Blacksea . Oh , the trolling opportunities , it rains in the US and showers meteors here ? No , ı will not give away the Moon either ...

I was going to post this as a question but decided to do some research on my own. I surmised that since gravity slingshots can be used to accelerate an object travelling through space then the acceleration can be negative, i.e. that you can use it as a brake. Turns out that I was right, so I'm happy to see that I am not that rusty regarding this classical mechanics thing, even with my brain affected by the lockdown. :)

Of course, building a spaceship (except for our thread starter) is impossible, but I can dream (and write fanfics).

Also, @hobbsyoyo I am trying to send you a PM but I'm not even allowed to access your profile.

would surely agree the Saxton figures (the guy who started the SW guides thing) must be divided by a million especially with regards to weaponry . You know turbolazers being my thing .

and of course it was right on track . New Turkey now being attacked by meteors and the country totally defiant . 'Cause you know , it was on the night they opened an hotel project , no , sorry , a museum on the island where the Prime Minister of 1950s was hanged after the May 27, 1960 coup . Also a victorious operation against Hafter in Libya in the cards . Also , only God Knows what . The venue being the brain burning TV show on Gökçek's ... One of them said it was HAARP , other said meteor because he will say better things and must look level headed . But before reaching there , such good stuff . Mother of Elon Musk's kid ? Proven to be devil's servant . Do not listen to her songs with windows closed or you will be taken . Yes , ı have no doubts that they investigated her video clips frame by frame . America has stuff to fight rocks in space so nothing real will ever fall on America's bestest friend , Musk will place thousands of satellites to defend against aliens and the aliens are just made up to justify a one world anyhow . As Orson Welles trialled back in the day with the famous broadcast of Martians landing . Which was also a Rockefeller conspiracy . Who was ordered by the US Military to start so many radio stations to propagandize against Germany , no , actually Nazis ... Didn't all one worlders totally support Adolf so that there would be emigration to Palestine ? The level headed guy actually says he is so great a fan of Welles and everyone must see Citizen Kane , a movie that is inspired by and filmed against (Rupert?) Murdoch ! Also Musk fakely claimed bad weather because Black protests in the US against Police mistreatment and the delay in launch covered that up . The best part at about the end . 18th Century scholar in Ottoman times says a certain type of bad things are capable of travelling to other realms because they are of the devil and devil's servants of modern times tried to open a direct door to places with the CERN and those bad things eat Gold . (Westerner heretics might remember Harrison Ford / Daniel Craig thing if they can't imagine how evil it is to collect people's gold ...) Yeah , those bad people have been banned , they can't come here anymore . Level headed guy heard that from a source he can't name but it is so true . Because he knows Citizen Kane is against Murdoch ! (Can not tell who did this miracle .) Nothing to challenge them , no one ever even to try to stop them burning brains , because they also know fecebook has virtual cemeteries and come 2070 it will create holograms of the long dead and fake being god and re-surrection before Judgement . And not in 2030 or 40 and not because of the rate of tech development , but this only proves the West in real life has given them a further 50 years to rule over the land , before the one and only showdown takes place and we are all dead ... Boring small print , hard to grasp , pointless to re-itirate but against public scare that might ensue if there was even the slightest misconception against the power and stature of New Turkey , which incidentally re-opens the mosques today , with open air prayers near Ayasofya , which was mentioned alongside some superbly superb tweet from the Religious Agency of the country on how they will conquer the mosques , you know as if they were built by infidels , on the anniversary of the conquest of lstanbul today in 1453 ...

Very exciting. I read this from spacex website:

What does "instantaneous launch window opens" actually mean? Will the rocket fire at that moment?

edit: this is the live stream on that page:
An instantaneous launch window means they have to launch at that exact moment for the mission to proceed. This means they have no ability to hold the launch to let weather pass, which is why they ultimately scrubbed on Wednesday. The reason this launch had an instantaneous window is that they wanted to launch more-or-less directly at the ISS without setting up many intermediate staging orbits which means everything is on a strict timeline. Sometimes launch windows can be hours or even days long, it just depends on what exact orbit you are trying to reach and how your target lines up with that.

This is the jog before the 10K. Once the process is vetted, including the reusable booster and orbiter, NASA can get serious about a permanent base on the moon. That would be sweet and it could happen in five years.

J

This program is totally separate from the moon program which has also been accelerated to meet a 2024 landing date. Unfortunately for the moon program (known as Artemis), the White House has talked a big game about accelerating the schedule but then not requested additional funding to make that happen. Congress has been a bit better and has provided some of the funds but it's still an iffy proposition on whether or not NASA can make the 2024 target date. The biggest problem to meet that has been NASA's reliance on the SLS rocket for Artemis as Boeing (the prime contractor) and Marshall (the NASA center overseeing its development) have been terribly inefficient at pushing the rocket through development and manufacturing. The NASA administrator has been doing his best to work around the SLS but Congress has mandated its use so there's only so much to be done on that front. Right now the space community is almost hoping for a coup de grace from SpaceX in that they hope their new Starship vehicle will be built by 2024 and can be used to support the mission without the SLS.

This is unlikely though given that SpaceX just blew up yet another Starship prototype (this is the fourth one) and because it just extremely hard to build new rockets of that size inside 4 years.

ı could perhaps report Turkish business people owning radios or perhaps their family friend former newspaper editor-in-chief want us to believe that the golden age of space travel has just started with Musk and the two NASA astronauts . Or maybe could rant or whatever .

it starts with llya Murometz . Or however you spell it ... lgor Sikorsky design for large planes . When the war comes , it has a negative impact or German morale ; a superior race has only smaller aircraft ! Berlin declares in 1915 that there are no large planes , ever , and like also bans their mention , too .

fast forward to 1932 . Random examples them all , Hawker Fury (always chosen to be the best looking biplane and also first service aircraft faster than 200 mph) - Boeing P-12 (shooting King Kong off Empire States according to some book ı have) - Polikarpov l-15 . All in service or just about to enter service at the time and leading to "better" things in the future : Hurricane and the RDF affair by Dowding , Boeing's understanding of what bombers should do , 20mm armed monoplanes in Russia so widespread that Mikoyan will need some State interference from his big boss brother to get some business .

and B-17G of 1944/45 . Only as a visualisation aid . To imagine what a battleplane would have needed to succeed in 1932 . The term comes from Douhet and his cohorts , fleets of bombers that will always get through . Not only totally armed but faster and all than the fighters . Would probably need a 5th or 6th engine and aerial refuelling to do anything but even when only carrying a pair of binoculars it could have decided the course of history , say a maritime patrol plane , leading to discovery and destruction of the battleships of a country . Back to 1915 when some British battleship fired a 12 inch cannon trying to down the German airship following them . '17 when Hugo Junkers got going about building his all metal planes , with tanks also around . And of course , Maxim Gorki , a Russian giant of a plane with its own printing machine inside for leaflets . The paragraph ending with the B-17 again , which the Germans could not destroy with rifle caliber guns and 13mm was practically useless , too . Only 20mm and up . The Japanese , it seems , were totally paralysed with the Fortresses in the early times , too . Only to see the threat upgraded to B-29 , which totally outperformed so many Japanese types which had at least cannons by then . You guessing where this leads to ? Kamikazes of course . Bodily crashing into Boeings , in widespread use by the Russians as the so called Taran technique and to be used by Germans on a large scale . Hundreds of Luftwaffe fighters sortied out on April 7, 1945 , with martial music blaring on the radios to prevent some of the young volunteers chickening out . lnterleaved with a woman announcer on the radio , reminding how they were being raped in the territories where Wehrmacht had been driven out . Yeah , Americans had them , too . All American fighters available in 41 or 42 to be given extra layers of armour and a box around the pilot to crash into stuff . Seen somewhere else where they will naturally be like Captain America's Amerikabomber , insisting ı am talking about that or something and report me ... Hydra doesn't exist ... P-79 was designed to crash into enemy bombers with the pilots being lied to that they could get away with slicing tails of targets . P-77 , a wooden fighter with just 2 machine guns was ordered solely as a tactical suicide interceptor . Practically any American fighter of WW ll had something against them large planes , some figment of the imagination which at times imagined Nazis would win and like fly in from Siberia . Only the increasing levels of confidence in American warproduction stalled the suiciders and gave priority to 75mm carrying interceptors or light and fast types .

though ı also find it hard to believe in the very early 104 with the onboard nuke . Your visualisation aid for that would have to be B-2 , proofed against radar intercept frequencies of the day , so much that the interceptor would lack range data to lob Genies at you , as we have already covered some pages back in this thread ... So that the old wartime radars with huge wavelength would see you penetrating , scrambling the 104 , for its pilot to search visually and end his life when your wingspan filled the rings in this gunsight ...

impossible ? Totally silly ? Who elected Trump again ? Me ?

man , ı am productive these days ...

woke up with a name in my mind . Dreamcaster again , but ı couldn't find anything in my subconcious or whatever to associate with . A fashion model kinda before my time and being at home with tablet naturally leads to searches ı otherwise wouldn't . Takes me a forum in Turkish . Naturally divided into multiples . Arablovers fighting Racist Turks on how many women Cengiz of Mongols raped , should street dogs be killed , the inevitable football fans . And gotta stress that the forum is not yet dominated by New Turkey , so you can still find links to 2011 when the ranking Party newspaper woved to have a space shuttle to fly to the moon . ln 2023 . They might have bought some from the space branch of London , with the imagined hoards of gold they would find when they totally destroyed the Republic ? No , average election campaigning or whatever . No need to be real or anything .

then it happens . ı find the name to a long running thing . Nobody has to follow the youtube link , it is in Turkish anyhow .

(ı wrote the adress here but it doesn't open in my tablet , so it is YG_uCM5c19u and not necessary to watch either , will have a fuller thing when ı get to orbital bomb the US and stuff .)

the so called State Channel , which really deserves to be called TıRT these days , is putting its archives online and this one was apparently in February this year .

the year is 1978 . These people claim to have been working on a new set of scientific theories and laws only they know . A fantastic project to come , and it has never been disclosed in the 42 years since . A new type of engine that will "make the world go round" . No doubt a nod to Arşimet or whatever with his lever to move the same . And thirdly , Midan Dancer . Which the limited web references wrongly report as the thing you see in the video . The clip actually describes two things , Midan a "capital" ship thing and dancer , a scout plane or whatever . And definitinely not Mid Anatolian Dancer or anything as ı naturally have been online and stuff in places , because it is to turn around and around , right ? Maybe it is Midas and his ears or whatever . ı was never good with Greek myths , so can't exactly know what they would be mocking with that . Also remember that Dancer was an early name for Kfir , because you will also have to imagine these guys are quite likely to have some sheik or whatever in the background . Now that websites also have some .jpg that supposedly shows a Goverment Minister was much interested to provide them with funds but for technicalities . lt takes a sheik , some of the time .

the team leader is a mechanical engineer , claiming to be working on it since 1960 . Tried to build it in secret in '70 , and by '78 they have a thing fully assembled . Full Skunk Works vibe , because 3 years ago when they showed the parts around nobody believed them . From professors to shoe polishers in the street . Web sites also misrepresent the 11% figure , that's surely the number of people in the academia or whatever who follow or would follow the sheik . And no , they are not actually believing it themselves . Of the 16 people working on it and ı don't know why of that either , they have chosen two to interview and the last one is truly apologetic . He met the team leader in front of some academic building and people should study things to fight the backwardness of the country and he is only in the marketing ! Here you would have to know that the interviewer guy was probably one once under investigation by Congregation , ı can imagine him trying hard not to burst out laughing . Still has done a full job , you can see the woman without her head covered , signifying the Republic and people it raised could never understand anything of it . You know , secret projects being discussed with foreigners in the street and the foreigner totally jumps in to help . Read sheik dispatching another disciple . The team leader is still around , apparently last seen on fecebook with amplifying brainwaves to make enemy fighter pilots go crazy .

so , any discussion of technical merit ? Sure , taking advantage of websites its engine still needs an input of energy to go , but apparently their power stations will do much better in the future . lt is good to go for 150 years and can store energy for millions of years if left inactive . Or maybe even work for million of years if suitably reinforced . lt is true because he has documents 1400 years old saying it would , read Prophet Muhammed here , a very hard defence to deny . And yes , these documents have not been seen either , despite the promise that they would be announced quite soon ... Any websearch will find the cross-section with the juicy part out of frame . They have like failed to make it a full radial of oil barrels and boilers because the people they are out to impress would not be impressed with the boilers repeated . Love the spiral stairs , though . You will have transparent steel to look outside . And yes , it has Prime Directive allright , that Aliens possibly exist but they do not intervene and it is fully national and local in 21st Century terms . lt can hover and stuff , can do 200 000 kilometers per hour , because the marketing point is about taking your family to the Moon for a picnic . Was so much impressed when they start with telling that they have a flying saucer and the tech can also be used in ordinary cars ...

can it ? lt can't . Not just because it is a made up lie . You would have to see the video for the explanation . Where the full cross-section shows it has a shrouded propeller that impacts on the "4th entity" . Am pretty sure that relates to the phases of matter , solid , liquid , gas . Not plasma or anything like that though . lt can only be aether , because it was scientific back in the day and Ottomans have had quite an hopeless centuries long attempts to catch up with Europe and one can only imagine the sheik is just some hereditary ruler of a congregation once started by the Sublime Porte to make reforms easier with a belief system open to "Fen" as science was known back then . Only to see the once modernist ideas solidifying into gospel and stuff . And aether is not that unknown , with people like Newton doing calculations and hiding it from us fools , just like Nostradamus tells us fools that we will never either find the codes or solve his prophecies by other means . As such , a Mach 20 in atmosphere craft with Aether screws can only double it up there . Had Newton known how far the stars actually were , he would have faked his numbers accordingly . But then the trip to moon would like take 10 hours and who on earth would spend 20 hours for a picnic on the moon ? Actually going around today , ı saw there was an actual draft by a Japanese about a warship of half a million tons , 42 knots in speed and having only 50 twin turrets of 410 mm guns . Good old Lord Vader then informed me that aether screws or some other similarly faked BS would surely drive 4.5 ton shells , perfect for the job of sinking that Japanese ship . Asked him about the F-16 seat of the pilot and the shrouded submarine propellers , he didn't answer . Now that the claims and stuff so much angered the then President that he allowed a certain American company to send a delegation to check on the claims and support this great achievement with a plane load of patents and stuff . That story always mentions that their minder lost the Americans for about 4 hours and then found them in a nightclub with the belly dancer thing , so they didn't loose anything with the trip ...

Last edited:
Close stars as seen from New Horizons:

These composite images each show a star (Wolf 359 (where Star Fleet 1st engaged the borg cube) on the left; Proxima Centauri on the right) as seen from two points of view, one on Earth and the other on the New Horizons probe. The stars appear to move with respect to much more distant stars in the background.

Most space telescopes, from the venerable Hubble Space Telescope to the brand new European planet hunter CHEOPS, stay in the vicinity of Earth: being outside the atmosphere is enough to provide a great view, and there is usually no reason to venture farther. But there are sometimes advantages to making observations from deep space.

On 22 and 23 April, the New Horizons team pointed the probe’s main camera at Proxima Centauri — the star closest to the Sun — which is about 1.3 parsecs (4.2 light years) away, as well as another star, called Wolf 359. NASA asked professional and amateur astronomers to take pictures of these two stars, at exactly the same time, from Earth. Because New Horizons is now 46 times farther from the Sun than Earth is, the two points of view are distant enough that the stars’ positions look slightly different with respect to other, more distant objects. By measuring that difference, astronomers can calculate the two stars’ distances from Earth.

This is a good illustration of why you can't use stars for navigation in space - or at least not within the solar system. Satellites uses special cameras called star trackers to image the stars to help determine which direction the satellite is pointing. This is called the satellite's attitude, and if you image a bunch of stars you can tell by how they are oriented relative to each other how the satellite itself is oriented in space. But you can't use these cameras to actually tell where in the solar system your spacecraft is because the stars are always fixed on the celestial sphere.

If you are in a ship and you're heading up the coast, you can look at lighthouse or a mountain on the coast and tell where you are by how it appears to shift in your vision as you move around. As you move, the relative angles between these distant objects change and you can use this to calculate your precise location. This doesn't work in space - the stars are so far away that they always appear to be in the same spot until you get out past Pluto as this shows. And even then, Wolf 359 and Proxima Centauri are close by stars and you can see that none of the other stars budge at all!

You can use stars to navigate on the Earth since your viewpoint on the sky is restricted by the Earth itself and what you can see in the sky will change depending on where you are located. But once you're out in space then that is no longer the case.

Last edited:
Another group has decided they can solve the drake equation, and the answer is being reported as 36. I think they are referring to the table below, with the Strong assumption. So the confidence interval definitely includes 42. I am not able to comment on the maths in the paper, but I am a bit skeptical that none of the assumptions result in a confidence interval that includes 1 (ie. they are saying that we cannot be alone in the galaxy).

Spoiler Couple more figures :

Top Bottom