The thread for space cadets!

(Caption: LOFAR consists of 20,000 individual radio antennas spread across Europe)
So what is going on there? Did they build a moat to protect some but not all the telescopes, or did they build the telescopes where there was already a moat, for reasons?
Spoiler Also :
Google image search fails spectacularly with that image, it seems to think it is Mont-Saint-Michel

One would suspect this being the Netherlands, that the circular moat was build to keep the electronics from being flooded, with the other rivulets having been there before.

No, that would be a giant, Jules Verne style, cannon.
If we were going for that sort of solution, I would be more for it 'cos of the cool factor, if not the economics.
NASA Engineers Propose Combining a Rail Gun and a Scramjet to Fire Spacecraft Into Orbit

One would suspect this being the Netherlands, that the circular moat was build to keep the electronics from being flooded, with the other rivulets having been there before.

Or being trampled by indignant Friesian cows annoyed that these
damm shiny things are getting in the way of us eating our grass.

There is currently a comet visible to the naked eye:

It was discovered in March and reached its perihelion - the closest point in its orbit to the sun - on July 3.
The comet will make its closest approach to Earth on July 23, passing the planet at a distance of 103 million km - about 400 times further away than the moon.
Astronomers say it will be challenging to see, however, thanks to its low altitude and the long daylight hours of summer.
It will be visible both before sunrise and after sunset from mid-northern latitudes, but will never climb very high in the sky - meaning it could be obscured by trees, hills and buildings from many people's vantage points.
The brightness of the July sky means it could also appear quite faint.
According to the BBC's Sky at Night magazine, the best time to look for Comet Neowise will be on or after July 7 when it will be visible in the morning and evening.
It is currently moving slowly westwards through the constellation of Auriga, where it can be seen to the lower left of the bright star Capella.
Its path will take it into the constellation of Lynx by mid-July, when it will be visible all through the night but remaining low in the sky in the north.
It will move into Ursa Major on July 17 before passing beneath the stars of the Big Dipper towards the end of the month, and into Coma Berenices.

Dammit the world is so north-centric that they even get comets up there.

Finding the "Planet 9" black hole with a fleet of spaceships
A fleet of tiny spacecraft could prove the existence of a primordial black hole in the outer solar system – according to two independent proposals. The primordial black hole could be playing the gravitational role of “Planet Nine”, which is a hypothetical world that could explain the unusual orbits of certain Kuiper belt objects (KBOs) in the outer Solar System.
Orbits of these KBOs suggest that a body a few times more massive than the Earth currently resides about 500 AU from the Sun towards the constellation Orion. Searches for Planet Nine have come up empty – but this is no surprise because at that distance, even a large and reflective planet would be barely detectable with the kind of wide-field-of-view telescopes used for large-area surveys.
His proposal is a more modest version of the Breakthrough Starshot project, which aims to send ultralight (about 1 g) probes on a 20-year journey to the nearby star Alpha Centauri using an earthbound laser array to boost the spacecraft to 20% of the speed of light (0.2c). Using a similar system, Witten reckons a 10-year journey to 500 AU could be achieved at 0.001c with much larger spacecraft (about 100 g) – necessitating a less daunting feat of miniaturization. This is still 20 times the speed of NASA’s New Horizons Pluto probe.
By scattering a host of such probes in the general direction of the hypothetical black hole, a lucky few might pass within tens of AU of the object, accelerating slightly as they did so. If the probes send regular, timed signals back to Earth, the gravitational field of the black hole would cause a lengthening of the interval between pulses.
Witten calculates that to detect the black hole using this scheme, the probes’ timing measurements would need to be accurate to about 10^-5 s over the course of a year. This is well within the abilities of existing atomic clocks, but it is hard to imagine how such devices could be squeezed into 100 g spacecraft.​
Physicsworld arXiv preprint 1 and preprint 2

Gravitational pull: the six most distant known objects in the Solar System with orbits exclusively beyond Neptune (magenta) all mysteriously line up in a single direction. Also, when viewed in 3D, they tilt nearly identically away from the plane of the Solar System. Caltech’s Konstantin Batygin and Mike Brown have shown that a planet with 10 times the mass of the Earth in a distant eccentric orbit anti-aligned with the other six objects (orange) is required to maintain this configuration.
So it appears we do not need the hundreds of little space ships at all, we can do it with a telescope:
El Reg says:
The suggestion that the Solar System's hypothesized Planet Nine is actually a small black hole could be solved by searching for outbursts of energy using the Vera Rubin Observatory, scientists say.
The observatory, previously known as the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST), has been under construction in Chile since 2015, and is expected to begin observing the heavens this year. It will be home to a giant telescope that employs a “three-mirror, three-lens optical assembly” to focus light from the night’s sky onto the “world’s largest CCD camera.”
Avi Loeb and Amir Siraj, chairman of the Department of Astronomy and an undergraduate student, respectively, at Harvard University believe the new telescope will be able to determine whether or not Planet Nine, a hypothetical object, is a black hole or not within a year of the instrument becoming operational.
Their technique involves spotting luminous flares erupting at the outer edge of our Solar System. These bursts will be produced whenever the black hole gobbles up any comets and other stuff that flies too close to the proposed swirling disk of gas and dust.​
The paper says:
Planet Nine has been proposed to potentially be a black hole in the outer solar system. We investigate the accretion flares that would result from impacts of small Oort cloud objects, and find that the upcoming LSST observing program will be able to either rule out or confirm Planet Nine as a black hole within a year. We also find that LSST could rule out or confirm the existence of trapped planetmass black holes out to the edge of the Oort cloud, indirectly probing the dark matter fraction in subsolar mass black holes and potentially improving upon current limits by orders of magnitude.​
El Reg writup Paper

The point I had not got before is that if we can find a black hole near us, it indicates that there are a lot of them, and they may be a significant component of dark matter. I cannot be sure exactly what the top of the confidence interval means in years, I think it is 10^1.4 years, or ~ 25 years, so it is a while until we have a negative result.

There is currently a comet visible to the naked eye:

It was discovered in March and reached its perihelion - the closest point in its orbit to the sun - on July 3.
The comet will make its closest approach to Earth on July 23, passing the planet at a distance of 103 million km - about 400 times further away than the moon.
Astronomers say it will be challenging to see, however, thanks to its low altitude and the long daylight hours of summer.
It will be visible both before sunrise and after sunset from mid-northern latitudes, but will never climb very high in the sky - meaning it could be obscured by trees, hills and buildings from many people's vantage points.
The brightness of the July sky means it could also appear quite faint.
According to the BBC's Sky at Night magazine, the best time to look for Comet Neowise will be on or after July 7 when it will be visible in the morning and evening.
It is currently moving slowly westwards through the constellation of Auriga, where it can be seen to the lower left of the bright star Capella.
Its path will take it into the constellation of Lynx by mid-July, when it will be visible all through the night but remaining low in the sky in the north.
It will move into Ursa Major on July 17 before passing beneath the stars of the Big Dipper towards the end of the month, and into Coma Berenices.
Sadly, we're having a rainy summer here - lots of cloudy nights, not to mention there are trees and buildings in the way.

But I'll head up to the top floor and see what I might find up there. Down here there's so much light pollution, buildings, trees, and walls in the way that I'm lucky to see the Moon and a planet or two.

this comet may be related to the 9th planet, its retrograde with a period of several thousand years
Or it's more likely just a comet with no relation whatsover, as there are many, many comets with periods in the thousands and even tens of thousands of years.

Or it's more likely just a comet with no relation whatsover, as there are many, many comets with periods in the thousands and even tens of thousands of years.

I disagree, (retrograde) comets with orbits lasting 4-8k years place them close to the proposed proximity for a 9th planet. A relationship between certain Kuiper Belt objects has also been identified as possible evidence for this other planet.

Disappointed that the latest starlink launch has been cancelled.

What does the comet look like to the eye?

I saw what looked like a planet low and to the north - would that have been it?

I was lucky to have had relatively clear skies last night and saw some of last months starlink satellites pass over.

In my experience when astronomers say that something will be visible to the naked eye,
that only applies if you have very good eyesight and are looking in exactly the right place.

I'd recommend good binoculars.

I saw a comet and its cone on holiday in Greece once with a portable telecope.

I won't see anything from Norwich. To much light pollution from the city.

If there's a 9th-planet-actually-being-a-black-hole, that should mean there's a pretty strong evaporation ray sweeping across the solar system, like a lighthouse of death. It could hit us any second.:scared:

Disappointed that the latest starlink launch has been cancelled.

What does the comet look like to the eye?

I saw what looked like a planet low and to the north - would that have been it?

I was lucky to have had relatively clear skies last night and saw some of last months starlink satellites pass over.
Planets don't twinkle. Comets look a bit fuzzy to the naked eye. If what you saw didn't look fuzzy, it was probably Jupiter or Saturn.

According to EarthSky, the planets visible to the naked eye are Jupiter and Saturn in the evening, Venus in the morning, and Mars is also visible.

I've always found Jupiter to be very bright to look at, and Mars is easy to tell apart, since it's red.

There are plenty of charts and maps of where the planets are on any given night, and you'll need to adjust for wherever you are and what time you plan to try to find them.

It was fuzzy - like a very faint corona?
I saw Saturn and Jupiter close together in the east - i did think that might be it so I looked it up but the comment wasn't showing on my app.
Planets:
Spoiler :

Comet?: (to the left of the center)
Spoiler :

20200710_233820.jpg

Attachments

• 20200710_233113.jpg
    20200710_233113.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 288
The point I had not got before is that if we can find a black hole near us, it indicates that there are a lot of them, and they may be a significant component of dark matter. I cannot be sure exactly what the top of the confidence interval means in years, I think it is 10^1.4 years, or ~ 25 years, so it is a while until we have a negative result.

If I am reading this correctly, this is the number of predicted observations per year. For the solid blue line, the lower limit for a Planet Nine black hole is predicted to be ~2 observations / year. So if this is correct and we assume that these observations are statistically independent, there should be a >99% chance of observing at least one event in 3 years

It was fuzzy - like a very faint corona?
I saw Saturn and Jupiter close together in the east - i did think that might be it so I looked it up but the comment wasn't showing on my app.
Planets:
Spoiler :

Comet?: (to the left of the center)
I can't see any comets in the bottom picture. The one in the top picture is probably Jupiter, as it's normally very bright. It's one of the few things I can see here (too much light pollution).

Saturn is fainter than Jupiter (much farther away and smaller), but it's still bright enough to see with the naked eye.

Norther hemisphere the Comet should be roughly to the north while the Jupiter Saturn pair is to the SW at the same time. The picture looks more like the later

The comet will just look like a bright-ish star without a pair of binoculars, so I've read. The pictures showing it with a beautiful tail are real but under heavy magnification.
We wouldn't be, it would be shared with the Indians.
Yes and no. While the Indians will have a stake in the company, the UK can and likely would firewall off any satellite navigation projects from the Indians. This is pretty standard for space projects with national security implications being performed by companies with multinational ownership.

Last edited:
Top Bottom