• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The very many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really sure what you want here...do you want the latin form of an English word with a Latin root? In that case http://www.etymonline.com/

If it's a latin version of an English word without a Latin root...uh, really not much you can do there. If you speak Latin you might be able to get something that *sorta* sounds right, but I mean, the language is dead; it's kind of impossible to extrapolate how the language would grow to incorporate modern words.

What I'm looking for is basically an appropriate scientific naming methodology for encountering fictitious flora, fauna, and sapients in science fiction. Weird reason, I guess, but there's your answer. :blush:

What I'm looking for is basically an appropriate scientific naming methodology for encountering fictitious flora, fauna, and sapients in science fiction. Weird reason, I guess, but there's your answer. :blush:

Well, I mean, aside from picking out the genus name (just pick up a basic latin dictionary and be literally descriptive of what it is), the species name tends to be whatever the scientist wants to name it. I kid you not, there is a Knopflersaurus because that particular paleontologist was listening to a lot of Dire Straits at the time when he made the discovery.

There are bunch of common plants with explicit sexual names because there was one particular 18th century botanist who was the first to formally classify them had a filthy sense of humour. I forget his name, I'm afraid.

Edit: Moved Star Trek discussion here.

Edit 2:
Borachio said:
Ha! That's funny! I was thinking the very same thing only today.

They were reviewing some play on the radio, talking about two British women pretending to be Americans. And apparently they'd spent all their effort getting the accent right at the expense of the acting. Not a great success. It's apparently an extremely hard thing to do. As Hugh Laurie claims for House. Though he seems to manage well.

I can't see why it's done though. Surely any reasonably sized country has enough native acting talent so that importing a foreign actor isn't worthwhile.

But I suppose it's a matter of a big name star, more often than not.

So, we have to put up with the likes of Mel Gibson, and Dick Van Dyke.
The chick who plays Hermoine in Harry Potter does a pretty good American accent in the movie 'The benefits of being a wallflower' (I think that's what it's called)

I hadn't realized it was an especially hard accent for Britons to mimick, though I do catch myself going tssk tssk at some actors when I realize they aren't American and are making a hash of it. Not that often though - I'm sure I'm fooled 90% of the time.

BTW - Do American actors generally make a hash of British accents?

There are bunch of common plants with explicit sexual names because there was one particular 18th century botanist who was the first to formally classify them had a filthy sense of humour. I forget his name, I'm afraid.

You mean this guy?

But I'm surprised you would have forgotten him. So maybe it's not him. I've never heard he had a sense of humour.

Oh, it is Linnaeus? He was the name that came to mind, but I figured that was just because he makes up 100% of the list "18th century botanists I can name".

edit:

Is there any legal distinction between a "state" and a "commonwealth" in the United States, or is it just a matter of style? (Setting aside Puerto Rico, obviously.)

Well, that's true of me too, with regard to Linneaus.

Isn't Puerto Rico in the "Commonwealth" of the US?

It's a "commonwealth" too, I think, but it obviously has its own constitutional arrangements. (I think the Philippines were also a "commonwealth" during American rule.)

Is there any legal distinction between a "state" and a "commonwealth" in the United States, or is it just a matter of style? (Setting aside Puerto Rico, obviously.)

Entirely style I think? Mostly a word to toss an extra expletive at the concept of a crown?

Entirely style I think? Mostly a word to toss an extra expletive at the concept of a crown?

If we throw out Puerto Rico then it is entirely just a style issue as Farm Boy says. I think Virginia is the only Commonwealth, but I'm not sure. Either way it makes no difference if a state goes by State or Commonwealth, excepting Puerto Rico where it is a big difference although even then I don't think it's actually the title that matters. What I mean is that I am not sure if there is a different definition for Commonwealth as it applies to Puerto Rico - if it gets statehood, for example, it could still be a Commonwealth. So I'm not sure that Commonwealth, as it applies to Puerto Rico actually has any implications as to its political status. Could be wrong though.

Massachusetts, Kentucky and Pennsylvania are also "Commonwealths". Also, looking at it, the fact that these are all very old states (VA, MA and PA are all founders, and iirc Kentucky was the second new state after Vermont) does lend weight to Farm Boy's suggestion that it was mostly intended as a middle-finger to the Crown.

I'll say yes and I'm not even very good at recognising accents.

Massachusetts, Kentucky and Pennsylvania are also "Commonwealths". Also, looking at it, the fact that these are all very old states (VA, MA and PA are all founders, and iirc Kentucky was the second new state after Vermont) does lend weight to Farm Boy's suggestion that it was mostly intended as a middle-finger to the Crown.

I think Kentucky part of Virginia originally.

I don't know about generally, but this guy certainly did.

Link to video.

To the extent that most British people would seriously consider licencing firearms for the entire population, simply to put Dick out his misery quickly.

You mean this guy?

But I'm surprised you would have forgotten him. So maybe it's not him. I've never heard he had a sense of humour.
It seems more likely it's in the mind of the Scots.

I'm watching the Scottish National Party conference on C-Span which has me wondering (again):
How likely is Scottish independence now? Has the independence movement gained any traction since the last time I asked?

I'm watching the Scottish National Party conference on C-Span which has me wondering (again):
How likely is Scottish independence now? Has the independence movement gained any traction since the last time I asked?

I very much doubt the Scots feel like paying for a military on their own. So isn't the question more along the lines of what shape and scope is Scottish self determination likely to take? Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe they'll appeal for statehood instead. What would they rate, ~4 Representatives along with their 2 Senators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom