The very many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is horrifying.

Seriously?

A nuker will bring a cup of water to a boil in 1-2 minutes. What more is actually necessary? Sure, tea will have to be left to steep in it for a little bit. But hot water is hot water is hot water. What's the difference to the outcome in the method of heating it?

I mean. This is why Trump won isn't it.

Using the most modern space age technology is barbarism.... TIL.

Haven't you heard? Everything Americans do is barbarism to non-Americans. It's part of that inferiority complex the rest of the world has. Non-Americans feel insecure about the stature and achievements (or lack thereof) of their own nation that they feel the need to take little digs at Americans at every conceivable opportunity.

Well I mean, boiling water in a microwave is actually rather dangerous due to the possibility of rapid boiling causing the glass to explode, potentially shooting scalding hot water and glass straight at your face.

Well I mean, boiling water in a microwave is actually rather dangerous due to the possibility of rapid boiling causing the glass to explode, potentially shooting scalding hot water and glass straight at your face.

Just goes to show how courageous Americans are. We aren't afraid to risk life and limb to save some time making our grocery store ramen.

EDIT: On a more serious note though, do you stand directly in front of the microwave while heating something up in it? I don't. I just set that timer and go about my business. Even if I'm only cooking something for 30 seconds, I can find something else to do in that time so I'm not just standing there gawking at the microwave.

Not really. Because the power goes off when the door is opened. And the door is strong enough to contain the mess. Now you don't boil water in a sealed container. So the pressure's not that great.

Just goes to show how courageous Americans are. We aren't afraid to risk life and limb to save some time making our grocery store ramen.

EDIT: On a more serious note though, do you stand directly in front of the microwave while heating something up in it? I don't. I just set that timer and go about my business. Even if I'm only cooking something for 30 seconds, I can find something else to do in that time so I'm not just standing there gawking at the microwave.
If it's a liquid, I stay and watch to make sure it doesn't boil over. Soup is a rather messy thing to have to clean up.

I remember a US Marine telling of one instructor asking his men who was scared and then who wasn't scared. What you speak of is not courage, but foolhardiness.
The original Mad Max was overdubbed in the States.
From Australian in English, I suppose?

The problem is the boiling doesn't occur until you disturb the glass (i.e. take it out of the microwave). Disturbing the water in the glass causes vapor to form rapidly which can explode the glass. It has nothing to do with whether or not you stand in front of the microwave while the water is being heated.

Granted the danger is significantly reduced if you use an older glass with scratches that help allow bubbles to form during the heating, or if you stick something in the water like a teabag, but it's a needless danger considering an electric kettle is safer, allows you to boil more water at a time, and is nearly as fast as boiling your water in the microwave.

Last edited:
Granted the danger is significantly reduced if you use an older glass with scratches that help allow bubbles to form during the heating, or if you stick something in the water like a teabag, but it's a needless danger considering an electric kettle is safer, allows you to boil more water at a time, and is nearly as fast as boiling your water in the microwave.

I thought it was a generally acknowledged life pro tip to never have a single-use tool in your kitchen.

Pro tip: don't give too much importance to pro tips.

I thought it was a generally acknowledged life pro tip to never have a single-use tool in your kitchen.

Boilng water isn't really a "single use". Plus kettles are like ten bucks and last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom