The very many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK, the resistance to "single-use" are those really niche tools for one intended purpose, like the coring tool that only fits an apple.

I actually found one of these in the stuff which the former tenants of my appartment left behind, and I have to say it's really useful if you e.g. have to make an apple pie :D
But yeah, would never buy that.

AFAIK, the resistance to "single-use" are those really niche tools for one intended purpose, like the coring tool that only fits an apple.
At least a corer fits in a draw. It's when you get stuff like this steampunk monstrosity,

That you need to take a hard look at your life.

Is it normal to wonder if you are normal?
Is it normal to wonder if it normal to wonder if you are normal?
How long can that loop go on?

Is it normal to wonder if you are normal?
Is it normal to wonder if it normal to wonder if you are normal?
How long can that loop go on?

Jim's dad says it's perfectly normal :D

At least a corer fits in a draw. It's when you get stuff like this steampunk monstrosity,

That you need to take a hard look at your life.

Actually, this is great, except you need the kind that really clamps down rather than being held by a suction cup.

Apple slinkies are great for tempting kids to eat more apples, and it lets kids peel potatoes before you want to let them use a knife. You can adjust the thickness of the peel (or not peel it) and good ones let you adjust the thickness of the slicing by swapping the screw. Plus, it fits in a drawer and is quite inexpensive.

I have 7-8 months or so to get in shape for a 16 day 160km long hike through extremely high altitudes. 5,500m/18,000 feet is the highest we're going to be at. You don't need oxygen tanks or anything like that, but it's going to be intense. There are 3 mountain summit ascents planned, as well as a crazy looking alpine pass.

My starting level of fitness is "ok". I'd like to figure out a workout plan for the next 8 months that eases me into the hike instead of pushing me too hard at the beginning (and I burn out or change up the plan because it's too intense, etc.)

This is my "sort of" rough "plan" for the next 8 months. Month 1 is already underway:

Month 1 - Start doing chin ups, try to get in 4-5 every couple days (Proper ones)
2 - Join gym and go once a week and ride a gym bike until I'm spent, also start doing reps of pull ups at home, instead of just one rep of 4-5
3 - Start going to gym twice a week and increase chin up routine at home
4 - Three times a week at the gym, light workout at home on off-gym days
5 - Find a set of stairs somewhere closeby and start walking up and down stairs a lot - once a week, decrease gym to 2 times a week
6 - Increase stair walkups to 2 a week, weather permitting, try to keep up with gym allotments at twice a week.
7 - Stair walkups 2 times a week with weights on my ankles (I already have these ready). Gym 2 times a week.
8 - Gym 3 times a week, stop doing the stair thing (make the whole routine less intense a bit so that my body has a bit of time to relax a bit before the big hike)

This plan hinges on a relatively long set of stairs being around somewhere where that I could use, and run up and down on, until I'm exhausted. I am not sure if it's going to be easy. I have read that this is a really good way to train for high-altitude hiking, but I can't really think of anywhere nearby where I could do this. If there's a place near work, I could do it there.. so I'm going to have to start looking.

At the gym all I plan on doing is getting on a bike and biking until I am done. That seems like a good way to work on your general stamina, which should help with long-distance hiking. Plus I like to bike and this is how i trained for Norway, so it's in my comfort zone. Plus the gym is cheap and near my work and I could easily fit it into my routine. As for the chin ups, I have a pull/chin-up bar in the doorway to my walk-in closet, so it's something I can easily do before sleep.

I am not a gym or fitness guy so I'll take any advice as to how to improve my plan or change it completely or whatever. I am just making this up as I go along

My question, if you didn't read any of the above: How do I put together an 8 month long fitness plan to get me ready for an intense long distance high altitude hike?

Last edited:
Yeah, there's a pool! That's a great idea. My preferred swim style is.. "the frog". I'm really good at it though. Swimming by putting each arm out in front of you is awkward to me, and I don't move nearly as fast, so I never do that. With that out of the way, what should I be doing in the pool? Swimming back and forth, however I want? Good enough? Or is there certain technique that's good to stick to as to make the whole thing a bit more efficient?

Yeah, there's a pool! That's a great idea. My preferred swim style is.. "the frog". I'm really good at it though. Swimming by putting each arm out in front of you is awkward to me, so I never do that. With that out of the way, what should I be doing in the pool? Swimming back and forth, however I want? Good enough? Or is there certain technique that's good to stick to as to make the whole thing a bit more efficient?

When I was younger and far healthier than I am today, I prepared for long hikes (nothing like yours, however) by swimming laps while underwater.

But, this is apparently not recommended unless you're already fit. Everything I read says the front crawl is best (because of speed control) and that pacing is the most important aspect. Breathe at very specific times and maintain the same speed with minimal breaks. It definitely shouldn't be a leisurely swim, it should be as intense as an endurance run.

That worked out well for me since I'm more of a swimmer than a runner. If you prefer running, however, you might be better off doing inclines on a treadmill or something similar.

Swimming is actually a good idea for me because I do not want to put too much strain on my knees. They have been known to flare up on long hikes. That's why the gym bike worked well for me last time and is included in my plans.. but swimming might be better and/or is at least an option to break up the monotony of always doing the same thing.

Mind you running up and down the stairs isn't good for knees either, but hey, that's what I'm going to be doing on the hike more or less, I need to get in the mood whether I like it or not.

I am pretty good at swimming under water, I think, but I wear contacts so I would not want to keep my eyes open too much. So it seems that swimming back and forth is probably the way to go. I looked up the front crawl btw, and yeah it's what I thought it was. I can swim like that but it seems really awkward and annoying. Meanwhile swimming like a frog can feel natural and majestic. So I'm probably sticking to that, and we'll see if it will lead to me getting tired and sweaty.

I guess the thing with swimming is that you want to stop well before you are so tired you can't swim anymore. That seems obvious, and it is, but.. that limits how much I can strain myself during a workout, it seems. So for example instead of pushing myself for 15 minutes on a bike thing, I might only be able to do 5 minutes of intense swimming before feeling the need to get out of the pool because I don't want to drown. So then I can either wait a bit and go in the pool again, or get changed and get on the bike again. Out of all those options just staying on the bike seems optimal, it's a "get in/get out" operation. Which in today's fast paced society is very appealing to me, etc.

I know I should be posting this in the "Computer Talk" forum but I kinda want a quick answer because this is freaking me out a little:

About a week ago I started noticing random wireless networks that keep popping up in my list of available networks. They are named "Connect" followed by a number (Connect1, Connect2, etc.) They all have the "connect automatically" box checked but as far as I can tell, I'm not actually connected to those networks. Well for the past two days, my laptop keeps randomly disconnecting from whatever wifi network I'm on and those "Connect" networks pop up no matter where I am. So I started thinking those might be the cause so I went to delete those networks and I am unable to do so. I don't even get the option.

Does anyone know what this might be? Is this something I should be worried about? If so, what should I do to resolve the issue?

I know I should be posting this in the "Computer Talk" forum but I kinda want a quick answer because this is freaking me out a little:

About a week ago I started noticing random wireless networks that keep popping up in my list of available networks. They are named "Connect" followed by a number (Connect1, Connect2, etc.) They all have the "connect automatically" box checked but as far as I can tell, I'm not actually connected to those networks. Well for the past two days, my laptop keeps randomly disconnecting from whatever wifi network I'm on and those "Connect" networks pop up no matter where I am. So I started thinking those might be the cause so I went to delete those networks and I am unable to do so. I don't even get the option.

Does anyone know what this might be? Is this something I should be worried about? If so, what should I do to resolve the issue?

If you look at the adapter settings, what comes up?

(Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings)

If you look at the adapter settings, what comes up?

(Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings)

Just the wifi network that I'm currently connected to. These "Connect" networks only show up in the little side bar of available connections.

I have 7-8 months or so to get in shape for a 16 day 160km long hike through extremely high altitudes. 5,500m/18,000 feet is the highest we're going to be at. You don't need oxygen tanks or anything like that, but it's going to be intense. There are 3 mountain summit ascents planned, as well as a crazy looking alpine pass.

My starting level of fitness is "ok". I'd like to figure out a workout plan for the next 8 months that eases me into the hike instead of pushing me too hard at the beginning (and I burn out or change up the plan because it's too intense, etc.)

This is my "sort of" rough "plan" for the next 8 months. Month 1 is already underway:

Month 1 - Start doing chin ups, try to get in 4-5 every couple days (Proper ones)
2 - Join gym and go once a week and ride a gym bike until I'm spent, also start doing reps of pull ups at home, instead of just one rep of 4-5
3 - Start going to gym twice a week and increase chin up routine at home
4 - Three times a week at the gym, light workout at home on off-gym days
5 - Find a set of stairs somewhere closeby and start walking up and down stairs a lot - once a week, decrease gym to 2 times a week
6 - Increase stair walkups to 2 a week, weather permitting, try to keep up with gym allotments at twice a week.
7 - Stair walkups 2 times a week with weights on my ankles (I already have these ready). Gym 2 times a week.
8 - Gym 3 times a week, stop doing the stair thing (make the whole routine less intense a bit so that my body has a bit of time to relax a bit before the big hike)

This plan hinges on a relatively long set of stairs being around somewhere where that I could use, and run up and down on, until I'm exhausted. I am not sure if it's going to be easy. I have read that this is a really good way to train for high-altitude hiking, but I can't really think of anywhere nearby where I could do this. If there's a place near work, I could do it there.. so I'm going to have to start looking.

At the gym all I plan on doing is getting on a bike and biking until I am done. That seems like a good way to work on your general stamina, which should help with long-distance hiking. Plus I like to bike and this is how i trained for Norway, so it's in my comfort zone. Plus the gym is cheap and near my work and I could easily fit it into my routine. As for the chin ups, I have a pull/chin-up bar in the doorway to my walk-in closet, so it's something I can easily do before sleep.

I am not a gym or fitness guy so I'll take any advice as to how to improve my plan or change it completely or whatever. I am just making this up as I go along

My question, if you didn't read any of the above: How do I put together an 8 month long fitness plan to get me ready for an intense long distance high altitude hike?
You might consider some outdoor hiking, such as in a park that has fitness stops. We have that in some areas of the Waskasoo Park trail system here, where you walk along and come to a place to do chin-ups, or a part of the trail that consists of stairs.

Have you contacted your ISP to see if there's anything they can suggest?

Have you contacted your ISP to see if there's anything they can suggest?

I'll try that when I get home from work. I was just seeing if anyone here might know what this is and if it is something to be worried about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom