The very many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't you heard? Everything Americans do is barbarism to non-Americans. It's part of that inferiority complex the rest of the world has. Non-Americans feel insecure about the stature and achievements (or lack thereof) of their own nation that they feel the need to take little digs at Americans at every conceivable opportunity.

M8 you lot boil water in a microwave you don't get to talk smack about us any more.

especially as the us have the highest incarceration rate in the world outside australia hue hue hue

The problem is the boiling doesn't occur until you disturb the glass (i.e. take it out of the microwave). Disturbing the water in the glass causes vapor to form rapidly which can explode the glass. It has nothing to do with whether or not you stand in front of the microwave while the water is being heated.

Granted the danger is significantly reduced if you use an older glass with scratches that help allow bubbles to form during the heating, or if you stick something in the water like a teabag, but it's a needless danger considering an electric kettle is safer, allows you to boil more water at a time, and is nearly as fast as boiling your water in the microwave.

Or you could not use a glass to boil your water. I've never put anything glass in the microwave. It's always been plastic microwave-safe containers and then I transfer the contents to another container if necessary.

I put glass in the microwave all the time it's fine. Don't over set the timer?

For the past 30 odd years I've nuked soup in the nuker in a glass bowl with a glass plate laid over it to stop splashes. Never had any problems at all.

What does English word "thassh" mean?

Not in either Oxford English Dictionary or Urban Dictionary (and odd spelling for any word in English, ssh). Where are you finding it?

From Broken sword 5:

Hey, thassh private!

It's implied to be the slurred speech of a drunk. :)

Or you could not use a glass to boil your water. I've never put anything glass in the microwave. It's always been plastic microwave-safe containers and then I transfer the contents to another container if necessary.
I never cook in a plastic container, certainly not in a reusable one. They leak chemicals into the food that mimic estrogen to its receptors. Results are uncertain *, but I the obvious candidates are feminisation of men, breast cancer in women and potentially much stronger effects on the early embryo.

Spoiler :
Results googled are not clear, but I used to work with someone who studied it for her PhD and she thought it was a really major risk and would never cook in plastic, even when new. It leaks out more after the container has been used a few times.

Well what's a safe temp to heat water in the microwave then? Cus you don't need boiling to make most things. Certain types of tea might be like one exception. Instant coffee crystals like the dissolve kind need very hot water, not boiling. I make instant potatoes all the time in the microwave. The instructions say right on the bag heat water in microwave for 3-4 minutes, add potatoes. According to the links that's surely dangerous. Potatoes like this. They actually are quite tasty too.

My wife always tells me not to heat the kids food in plastic cus of bpa. Which is ridiculous since all the new plastic containers say non bpa right on them. But I wasn't aware of the estrogen stuff, though I have heard of people who don't use plastic water bottles because of that.

every new kitchen utensil these days seem like some weird super-specific thing

Exactly, lohren.

And this isn't me saying this. I heard this protip from Anthony Bourdain and/or Gordon Ramsay, I can't remember. An actual kitchen pro.

I think you might be taking "single-use" a bit literally, there. If a kettle is single-use because it only boils water, then an oven is single use because it only heats air, and a knife is single use because it only concentrates force along a sharpened edge. "Use" really has to be interpreted in terms of the tasks it allows a person to complete, and a kettle is used for a lot more than just making tea, even if that is its most sacred and profound of duties.

The original Mad Max was overdubbed in the States.
I did not know that. Do we know if it was a marketing concern, or where they genuinely concerned that audiences wouldn't be able to understand Aussie?

I did not know that. Do we know if it was a marketing concern, or where they genuinely concerned that audiences wouldn't be able to understand Aussie?

The distributor thought that the American audience couldn't understand Australian slang. Some of the changes seem a bit pointless, like changing "windscreen" to "windshield".

The Blu-ray edition contains an option to play the American dub.

I think you might be taking "single-use" a bit literally, there. If a kettle is single-use because it only boils water, then an oven is single use because it only heats air, and a knife is single use because it only concentrates force along a sharpened edge. "Use" really has to be interpreted in terms of the tasks it allows a person to complete, and a kettle is used for a lot more than just making tea, even if that is its most sacred and profound of duties.

AFAIK, the resistance to "single-use" are those really niche tools for one intended purpose, like the coring tool that only fits an apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom