The Very Many Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread ΛΓ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought cheesesteak sandwiches were the favourite food of New Joiseiyans?

Or politicians/corporate executives trying (and failing) to fit in at the Calgary Stampede. They really don't seem to realize how ridiculous they look.
TBF I only intend to use the boots in horse related activities. I'll might be able to pull of that but anything other than that I'd look ridiculous as well. My current riding boots are made of rubber and are quite lame. So I need an upgrade, and most of the riding gear available here is only in posh english style.

Also what is the Calgary Stampede and who or what do the stampeding?

I'm pretty sure it's just a big rodeo show in Canada where they do cowboy competitions like bull riding and whatever they call it when they lasso calves competitively.

TBF I only intend to use the boots in horse related activities. I'll might be able to pull of that but anything other than that I'd look ridiculous as well. My current riding boots are made of rubber and are quite lame. So I need an upgrade, and most of the riding gear available here is only in posh english style.

Also what is the Calgary Stampede and who or what do the stampeding?
I'm pretty sure it's just a big rodeo show in Canada where they do cowboy competitions like bull riding and whatever they call it when they lasso calves competitively.
Snerk, you're neither a politician nor a corporate manager, so I'm sure you will do justice to whatever cowboy boots you decide to wear. :)

@hobbsyoyo: The Calgary Stampede is one of the numerous annual summer rodeos that go on in my province. It's the biggest, best-known of them, and attracts tourists from all over the world. Back in 1988 when Calgary hosted the Winter Olympics, they put on a smaller indoor version for the international tourists who wanted a taste of the Stampede but couldn't be here in July.

Lassoing calves competitively is called calf-roping.

The Stampede includes a rodeo, agricultural fair, midway, creative arts competitions, various kinds of stage entertainment, some of the most bizarre food on the planet, and plenty of other things. Some of the people wearing western clothes are real cowboys. Some are fake - like the aforementioned politicians and corporate managers who look and act very ill-at-ease in shirts, jeans, boots, vest, and hat.

And before anyone asks, I haven't been to the Stampede. The closest I ever got was watching the parade. I don't handle crowds very well, so decided the parade was enough.

Derk "Snolly" Parton, eh?

Okay, I can't get on the flight to JFK because of the Passover rush. There's also no free seats on Delta flights from European capitals, so I can't buy a revenue ticket to one of them and then fly on standby to America. Most likely I'm not going to be able to get to Iceland or Alaska - unless I fly during Passover, which would only give me 2-3 days there at most.

I'm thinking Bavaria, Austria, or maybe Switzerland. Anyone from those places? I'd like some advice, especially regarding safety and not getting scammed or lost (I will probably be alone). Also, since the airfare is pretty high, would it be more cost-effective to fly from Israel into Greece or the Balkans and from there take public transportation up to the Alps?

Last edited:
Also @warpus? I don't know if he's been to those places but he's traveled a lot and I think to Europe.

Austria is nice. I spent a few days in Vienna.

Oooh, we can make Snerk the prince of the rodeo.

I've been known to take a train or two.

Being alone in Bavaria, Austria, or Switzerland shouldn't be a problem. I've never actually been there, but I really doubt you have to worry about your safety. As for local scams, read up on what exists wherever you're headed, even if it seems unlikely that such things exist there. The more you know, the better

As for finding cheap flights, I use a combination of (google "flight matrix" and cilck the first link), hipmunk, and random google searches. That matrix site (now owned by google) will help you throw out a bit of a "net" of possible itineraries, and it will dig up the best deals for you. It works best the more flexible you are (with departure time, place, and destination). Hipmunk works better once those details are a bit more set in stone. Random google searches help you decide what's a good deal and what isn't. I would also check local travel forums. My roommate found a flight to Thailand once for me on a local Canadian forum, it saved me $400-$600. It was one of those: "Just book through American Airlines directly and this and this price will show up". That deal didn't show up through any of those aggregate sites, but I would have never found it if it wasn't for that forum.

Other than that I've only been to Norway as far as Europe goes. I mean I've been to West Germany and Poland, but that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away

Is it advisable to join a tour group? I'm going tomorrow hopefully, so it's too late if I had to set that up a week in advance.

It depends. You can usually do the exact same thing as their itinerary, but for cheaper, if you book everything yourself. I will often request itineraries from companies that plan tours, and then steal their ideas and do it myself for a fraction of the cost.

Having said that, sometimes a day trip with a tour group might be a good way to see some place.

I can't find information on this and I'm getting angry: can I go to Vienna without a visa? Or on a one-way flight? Apparently it can make them suspicious, but I'm an American citizen. ID and passport should be sufficient, right?

EDIT: This seems to say contradictory things. Says US citizens don't need a visa, but then claims that people from America must apply for a 'Schengen travel visa?' Is that to travel between countries? I still might want to go to Bavaria. And what does it mean by travel documents? Is that just the passport and visa, or is something else required?

I really need to know if I can just go there with my passport and ID.

Last edited:
I can't find information on this and I'm getting angry: can I go to Vienna without a visa? Or on a one-way flight? Apparently it can make them suspicious, but I'm an American citizen. ID and passport should be sufficient, right?

EDIT: This seems to say contradictory things. Says US citizens don't need a visa, but then claims that people from America must apply for a 'Schengen travel visa?' Is that to travel between countries? I still might want to go to Bavaria.

What does it mean by travel documents? Is that just the passport and visa, or is something else required?

I really need to know if I can just go there with my passport and ID.

How about Peru?

Question: I live in an apartment building. Our wifi and router are both secured and locked down with strong passwords. However, recently I received an email from the ISP claiming that someone from my IP address had downloaded a movie or TV show that I'd never heard of before - neither had my mother. I'm not worried about getting into trouble, but how does this happen in the first place?

How about Peru?

I know a dislike button would probably not work out on CFC but there are times when I could really use one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom