The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLIII

I too endorse a visit to the office. Face-to-face helps certain kinds of matters go down more effectively.

We will definitely be doing this next week if we don't hear back via email or if the email response doesn't answer all of our questions.

Completely unrelated: Does anyone have any experience with vinyl/hardwood floor installation that eventually runs up to an existing carpet in a doorway? I know we need a transition strip sort of deal going on there. The idea is to buy one that allows us to nail a part of it to the floor and then snap in the top piece so that there are no visible nails from the top. The issue is that the closest hardware store doesn't have any strips like that that's anything close to the colour of the new floor. It's a sort of dark wood type colour. We are going to visit other hardware stores, but is it possible to buy a wooden thingy and just paint or something? Or would that be a bad idea? Alternatively, would I have to buy this thing on amazon, if we can't find one anywhere near us? Would I also need to do anything to the carpet? I can't remember if there's a tack strip right underneat, at the edge. If there isn't one, would I have to install it? The carpet would also have to go underneath the dividor thingy. What if it isn't long enough? We are also struggling with the fact that the carpet isn't exactly perpendicular cut to the doorway... meaning that it's slightly off, running on an angle. But we want the divider thingy to be running perfectly along the doorway. How to deal? Do we need to cut the carpet and install a new tack strip underneath, an inch or two from where the dividor thingy will be installed, or so? What if this would essentially make the dividor thingy visible from the carpeted part of the house, when the door is closed? Or even if you could see a part of the new floor from there? Is there a way around that?

I'm also looking for the proper name for the divider thingy. Different sites seem to call it something else.. and a flooring subreddit called it something else entirely, but now I can't find those conversations anymore.

Last question: would the material of the divider thingy matter? Or is that down to aesthetics? Ideally I'd want it to be wooden-like. The new floor we're installing is vinyl.

We will definitely be doing this next week if we don't hear back via email or if the email response doesn't answer all of our questions.

Completely unrelated: Does anyone have any experience with vinyl/hardwood floor installation that eventually runs up to an existing carpet in a doorway? I know we need a transition strip sort of deal going on there. The idea is to buy one that allows us to nail a part of it to the floor and then snap in the top piece so that there are no visible nails from the top. The issue is that the closest hardware store doesn't have any strips like that that's anything close to the colour of the new floor. It's a sort of dark wood type colour. We are going to visit other hardware stores, but is it possible to buy a wooden thingy and just paint or something? Or would that be a bad idea? Alternatively, would I have to buy this thing on amazon, if we can't find one anywhere near us? Would I also need to do anything to the carpet? I can't remember if there's a tack strip right underneat, at the edge. If there isn't one, would I have to install it? The carpet would also have to go underneath the dividor thingy. What if it isn't long enough? We are also struggling with the fact that the carpet isn't exactly perpendicular cut to the doorway... meaning that it's slightly off, running on an angle. But we want the divider thingy to be running perfectly along the doorway. How to deal? Do we need to cut the carpet and install a new tack strip underneath, an inch or two from where the dividor thingy will be installed, or so? What if this would essentially make the dividor thingy visible from the carpeted part of the house, when the door is closed? Or even if you could see a part of the new floor from there? Is there a way around that?

I'm also looking for the proper name for the divider thingy. Different sites seem to call it something else.. and a flooring subreddit called it something else entirely, but now I can't find those conversations anymore.

Last question: would the material of the divider thingy matter? Or is that down to aesthetics? Ideally I'd want it to be wooden-like. The new floor we're installing is vinyl.
We have several transitions in our house between hardwood floors and tile that are at different heights. In each case we used different transitions. I imagine that transitioning from wood to carpet will be similar. Here are pictures of of how we did it.

Slate to wood with a molding strip (big bump)

IMG_2489.jpg

wood to Saltillo tile (low transition ~3/8")
IMG_2490.jpg

wood to bathroom floor tile (smooth transition)

IMG_2491.jpg

Thanks! Our issue is figuring out exactly which strip/divider to buy and how to make sure that the carpet stays underneath it, as it doesn't seem that it's designed such that it will be connected anywhere. We picked up a couple smaller test dividers to try out tomorrow, to see which ones would fit. We couldn't find a colour that would match the flooring but I don't think that's really a big deal. I just can't picture how it would look like exactly when it's all said and done, and if it means we should go with a darker or lighter colour than what the floor is. The carpet is fairly lightish, the floor is a darker brown with reddish hues sort of

Look at low rise wood molding that is wide enough to overlap the carpet by at least an inch? and the wood floor by less? Screw the molding down frequently along its length.

We have several transitions in our house between hardwood floors and tile that are at different heights. In each case we used different transitions. I imagine that transitioning from wood to carpet will be similar. Here are pictures of of how we did it.

Slate to wood with a molding strip (big bump)

View attachment 697451

wood to Saltillo tile (low transition ~3/8")
View attachment 697452

wood to bathroom floor tile (smooth transition)

View attachment 697453
If it's any sort of factor, the third example is least likely to be a tripping/catching hazard if you ever have mobility-disabled guests who use an aid of some kind.

Look at low rise wood molding that is wide enough to overlap the carpet by at least an inch? and the wood floor by less? Screw the molding down frequently along its length.

We are going with a solution that basically has you screwing in a metal piece into the subfloor, and then you pop the laminate thingy into it from the top, and the laminate thingy covers the carpet. We have 2 samples to test out to see what will work and what won't, we'll see how things look tomorrow, might have a better idea what we're going in then.. but yeah I'm a bit concerned the carpet won't stay in place, since it'll basically be just a bit of molding/or whatever it is holding it in place, and it won't be screwed in or secured in any other way.

Glue along the edge? Big staples?

Glue along the edge? Big staples?

Welp, we drove out all the way to this flooring warehouse at the completely other end of town earlier today and bought what turned out to be a wrong kind of divider thingy. The one we bought basically assumes that the carpet is wayyy below the floor.. the intent being that it pushes down the carpet and keeps it in place.. but the thing is that my carpet doesn't really budge much when you walk on it. So we need a T type divider thingy that assumes that the carpet and the floor is at the same height. We tested it out with a T divider sample thingy we got from a hardware store that will work great, without any need for glue or staples for the carpet. At least it seems so! It should hold down the carpet well enough. So tomorrow we are driving back all the way to the other end of town to see if they'll let us exchange the divider thingy.. and if they'll even have one in a similar colour.. The one we had picked out was almost perfectly matched! A really nice and cute Russian lady helped us with that. I have it in my notes to leave her a great review. So I am hoping for a similar amount of luck in the colour matching department as well as the allowing-us-to-exchange department.. We already cut up the metal part of this that will be screwed to the floor, but did not touch the vinyl divider thingy.. so hopefully they'll let us exchange it.. we'll see! If not, I'll just dish out another $45 and buy the T style divider. I'll just be happy to have that all figured out and done with. They were real nice to us so I think they'll let us exchange it, but who knows.

Figuring all that out allowed us to put down a whole bunch more flooring though, now that we'll know exactly how the transition will be and how much space will be needed for the floor boards in that part of the room. We are about 85% done with the floor installation part of the project... at least in that room. Worked on this from 10am until 8:30pm lol.. with a trip to a fish-and-chips joint for dinner after we picked up the divider thingy... before which we stopped at 3 flooring stores and a hardware stores to get more divider thingy intel and advice. It's been a long day

Unfortunately I can't think of any questions for this post.. but.. hmm.. when installing baseboards, is it okay to have one wall be an assembly of multiple baseboard pieces? We basically don't have a way to transport super long baseboards and I don't want to pay for delivery if I don't have to. Can we just get a bunch of shorter ones and glue them together? Then paint over it or maybe fill out the crack with something before painting? Or should I suck it up and buy baseboards that are at least as long as the longest wall?

Miter the ends of the pieces so one overlaps the other and then use caulk on the seams and paint to hide them

Is a "fielder's choice" really a choice? I don't really know baseball. The descriptions I get on line is that the fielder tries to throw out a more advanced runner and lets the batter get to first base. But could the fielder (at least theoretically) choose to throw out the batter at first rather than the more advanced runner? But if the answer to that is yes, are there ever cases where the fielder would do so? Or does the phrase "fielder's choice" kind of mean not-really-a-choice-at-all-because-it's-a-no-brainer-to-prefer-to-throw-out-the-more-advanced-runner?

If the guy starting on first gets thrown out at 2nd because he was forced to run on a grounder and the fielders can't turn a double play to get the batter at 1st, the batter doesn't get a hit scored even though he "hit" the ball and got on base. He gets on in a fielders choice.

If the hit was hot and hard to field, or in a corner, or the forced runner got a good jump, a fielder may choose to retire the batter at 1st if he can't make the play at 2nd. Then it's a sacrifice. Like a bunt often aims to be.

I think? That would make a fielder's choice register as an "out" in the batter's hitting statistics.

In some sports, namely volleyball and beach volleyball, when a team loses a point they still seem (at first glance) to celebrate. I think this also happens when a basketball players misses a free throw, his teammates go up and slap his hand and seemingly say/yell something positive, maybe slap his butt. I get that it's probably meant to be a "you'll get this next time bro" sort of thing, but it just looks so positive, like they're celebrating. A couple times I thought a team got a point, because they looked to be celebrating to me, but nope - it was the other team that got the point.

Is this a psychological thing the intent of which is to keep a team's morale up in some sports? It's not really done in most sports. Like, you'd never see soccer or ice hockey players slapping each other's hands after they let in a goal, right?

Am I correct in my assessment that it's meant to be a positive thing designed to keep morale up even if you're sucking? Why is it only done in some sports though? Is there something inherent to those sports that requires more of an effort to keep morale high? Is morale more important in those sports? Or is this mainly due to a historical accident and there is no real explanation as to why this is done? Or is something else happening here that I'm missing?

In basketball and volleyball, the players are close to each other in both those situations and the ball is not "in play". In baseball, for example, the defense has the ball(an oddity) but are so far apart that in order to celebrate with voluntary cohesion they have to pitch it around while the next batter is taking the field(and which they can't really do if the offense has just put somebody on base).

I'd guess that it keeps the cohesion going. A team sort of needs to be in each other's heads in order to coordinate at their best. "Yeah, you missed that, but I'm still passing you the ball if you make yourself open. Hustle."

Am I correct in my assessment that it's meant to be a positive thing designed to keep morale up even if you're sucking? Why is it only done in some sports though?
Keeping up morale is important.

Dunno about soccer. But hockey is SRS BIZNESS. After you age out of minor hockey, you're basically expected to strive to become professional. At that point, results matter more than 'attaboys'.

Some people do take an alternate route to winter sports fame, though. Kurt Browning started out playing hockey. Now he's still considered one of Canada's premiere male figure skaters.

Dunno about soccer. But hockey is SRS BIZNESS.
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that. Bill Shankly

Is a "fielder's choice" really a choice? I don't really know baseball. The descriptions I get on line is that the fielder tries to throw out a more advanced runner and lets the batter get to first base. But could the fielder (at least theoretically) choose to throw out the batter at first rather than the more advanced runner? But if the answer to that is yes, are there ever cases where the fielder would do so? Or does the phrase "fielder's choice" kind of mean not-really-a-choice-at-all-because-it's-a-no-brainer-to-prefer-to-throw-out-the-more-advanced-runner?

Yes a fielder absolutely could choose to go to first instead, if circumstances make it unlikely they’d be able to get the lead runner out. This commonly occurs on sacrifice bunts and hit-and-runs.

A fielder’s choice counts against a batter statistically (i.e. they don’t get credit for a hit). It’s saying the batter would have been ruled out under ordinary circumstances, except that the fielder made the choice to retire a more advanced runner first (and not, “it was a coin flip and the batter lucked out”). You can think of it as similar to an error (which functions the same in statistical accounting): this batter by all rights should have been ruled out, but for a fielder’s mistake.

I thought the logic more went like: both a sacrifice fly/bunt and a fielder's choice result in an increase in outs by one, but with a sacrifice a runner was at a minimum advanced into scoring position. In a fielder's choice, the batting side's situation is not improved by the play - the lead runner is retired and the outs increase by one. The "fielder got his choice." Does that make sense or am I getting off track? Nobody ever asked me to score and I never really got into baseball stats properly.

Now when it gets really fun is in leagues where the infield fly rule makes an automatic out so they can't pin the runners with an unwinnable choice on whether to run or tag up.

Keeping up morale is important.

Dunno about soccer. But hockey is SRS BIZNESS. After you age out of minor hockey, you're basically expected to strive to become professional. At that point, results matter more than 'attaboys'.

Some people do take an alternate route to winter sports fame, though. Kurt Browning started out playing hockey. Now he's still considered one of Canada's premiere male figure skaters.

Don't professional athletes in virtually every sport strive to push themselves as hard as possible to achieve the most successful career possible?

I assume that the reason for the "we lost this point but good job let's go!" thing they do is morale, I'm just wondering why it happens in some sports but not others and if there's anything to it that I'm missing.

Top Bottom