The Walking Dead: AMC-channel series Anyone psyched?

So, the first half of the Season 2 is over now, and it's been a disappointment to me. A review from Metacritic that fits the best:

Exactly. They decided to waste about 5 of the 7 episodes on stuff that didn't help the series in any noticeable way. I don't mind if a season starts slow-paced (as Breaking Bad usually does), but the stuff we see need to have some purpose - develop characters, set the stage for the more interesting events to come.

In TWD, this felt like huge waste of time. I mean, if you're going to focus on dialogues, at least make them good. But it was the opposite here, I couldn't stand when Lori and Rick talked with each other, I'd have to put a bullet through their heads if I were standing next to them. Such a load of horse manure, totally unrealistic, completely aggravating. For the first time my fingers itched to hit the "move forward 5 sec" button.

I really hope the pace will change and we'll finally start seeing something on the show. If the characters spend the next 6 episodes crying over the loss of ***spoiler***, the show is finished. There is only so much torture you can tolerate to watch a series with zombies.

This time I have to agree - their dialogs are not that good, I find them on borderline of "acceptable", then again, I'm not a native English speaker (so I'd probably not know what is considered "normal" or "good" or "realistic" conversation"). Pacing is bit slow and instead of showing useless searching and random conversations, one could have shown more bonding between Ricks group and Hershels (Spl?) group (like where and how they got their food, how they slept and what conflicts rose ((We only saw glimpses of survivors making food, helping to make food and one dinner together with hershels group))). Then again, IMO its waaaay better than first season. Also, I did like the ending *spoiler*.

Ha, I liked the first season a LOT better.

But they should really use the comics material better. It seems like they're afraid to, because its way too dark for mainstream TV.

So, I don't know anything about this series, because the sum total of TV I watch is

1. Sports
  2. There is no number 2

But I saw this on another website and thought it was funny:
Spoiler I don't know if this is an actual spoiler :
"In the midseason finale of Walking Dead this past Sunday, Shane served as the character proxy for many of the show's viewers. Sick of sitting around and debating the same moral questions over and over again while the rest of the cast endlessly chased after a character that nobody really cared about, Shane took a stand. He freaked out, started picking fights with everyone, grabbed the guns, and found some zombies to kill. And of course, by taking that action, he found Sophia and moved the plot along. Yay Shane!"

Keeping Shane around instead of killing him while they were camped near Atlanta was one of the smarter things they've done in the TV version.

Keeping Shane around instead of killing him while they were camped near Atlanta was one of the smarter things they've done in the TV version.

I feel like Shane's attitude in the show is taking away a bit from Rick's transformation that he goes through in the comic series. In the comics, IIRC, Rick is torn up about trying to hold onto his human decency and altruism, and is constantly put into positions where he is faced with choosing him and his family over the well being of others, which is basically what Shane is all about in the show.

i really hope we see Rick start heading down that road of darkness and doubt about his humanity.

I dunno, basically, I'm feeling like the darkness that Rick and Carl end up going through in the comics is being played out through Shane in the show, as if they want to keep Rick the "good guy" and turn Shane into the "bad guy." I don't know if I'm articulating it very well, but there ya go, my 2c :p

While we're on the subject of Shane, something came up in conversation today that I'd like to discuss. I think the scene where he tried to rape Lori was a cheap gimmick by the writers.

I think that, up to that point, Shane had been an unstable person but who was still trying to do good by the people he cared for. He was conflicted, confused, and he rarely made the right choice. He was someone that the audience could relate to.

Why did he have to go and try and rape her? I think that the whole Shane/Rick/Lori thing would be a much more emotionally compelling concept if the audience could genuinely root for both men. But now they can't. Rape or attempted rape is not something a person (fictional or not) can ever really redeem themselves from. The show needed a villain (apparently...) and the writers just hamfisted one into the show.

I generally enjoy this show quite a bit. Quite different from most other shows on TV these days. The first part of season two was quite well done although did drag on in some parts. Like most others I felt that it could probably have been wrapped up in 3-4 episodes.

I recently rewatched the first episode of season one. Definately by far the best episode of the entire show. Has a completely different feel to all the other episodes.

I cannot wait for Sunday :D, I am really anticipating this next episode, if it's crap I'll be really bummed :(

I like the show, but doesn't each episode follow the same basic formula? It's like they begin with some relationship management (for drama I guess), then move on to basic survival(to stress they are living through an apocalypse) and then zombie killing (to make things more exciting)?

Yeah, the second season was quite a letdown ... on the other hand, this chapter was one of the weakest parts of the comics, too.
Apart from being a bit boring it was performed quite well, though. But I really missed the lack of significant additions to the story to differentiate itself from the comics, which was the case in season 1. Season 2 just felt stretched.

Shane is the only good character left besides Daryl. Everyone else are idiots that would die within minutes of a real apocalyptic situation. Man, just kill people and take their stuff. Screw being civil.

Shane is the only good character left besides Daryl. Everyone else are idiots that would die within minutes of a real apocalyptic situation. Man, just kill people and take their stuff. Screw being civil.

So you think he was right to kill Otis?

Yes. Otis was a fat, useless slob that served his purpose as bait.

Wasn't he the one who put all those zombies in the barn solo? That doesn't seem useless to me.

I can see why the writers took this direction. They wanted the audience to feel less sympathy for Shane before they kill him off.

Wasn't he the one who put all those zombies in the barn solo? That doesn't seem useless to me.

I can see why the writers took this direction. They wanted the audience to feel less sympathy for Shane before they kill him off.

Bringing zombies into the barn was a poor decision. Shane is the hero of the story, and time and time again he is saving people and being crapped on for it. He saved Rick numerous times, he saved Rick's family and took them in as his own, etc. Shane and Daryl are the only characters worth watching the show for.

Top Bottom