The West

A unified West under the direction (not control) of the US would be the most beneficial for all of the Western powers. China will eventually be part of the "West" but first they are going to try and compete with us which will in the end fail. Russia is the true adversary, even with the collapse of the old Soviet model they still are a potent threat. I see a Corporate Dictatorship emerging in Russia, maybe some annexation of former Soviet territories, massive military buildup with a Corporate-Police-State governing the citizenry.

Africa is in the west?

More like "they are irrelevant". We are, after all, western-centric.

I wouldn't say that. The general consensus from my social anthropology teacher (who is from africa) is that People who are well off and from big cities can be considered western (about 10% of people in sub saharan africa) while the other people are becoming western and they used to be a multitude of things.

In any case I think that some people equate modern with western when that is not the case.

Russia won't join the west. They don't want to play fifth, sixth, seventh, or eighth fiddle in this world.

They have more to gain commiserating with the likes of Iran, Syria, North Korea, and China.
What make you reason to think that Iran, Syria, North Korea, and China wants to have Russia as their ally? Also, what make you even consider the possiblity of Iran, Syria, North Korea, and China being in the same allied group?

A unified West under the direction (not control) of the US would be the most beneficial for all of the Western powers.

Yeah, then we could all go in Iraq together.

Not.

The West is the West and The East is the East and the North is the North and the South is the South. I would rather use different words to describe more clearly different things rather than equating modern with west.

What make you reason to think that Iran, Syria, North Korea, and China wants to have Russia as their ally? Also, what make you even consider the possiblity of Iran, Syria, North Korea, and China being in the same allied group?

:lol: Seriously. It's like he just lumped together countries HE doesnt like and said they were allies.

The West is the West and The East is the East and the North is the North and the South is the South. I would rather use different words to describe more clearly different things rather than equating modern with west.

'West' just refers to the countries that continue the traditions started by the Greeks and Romans. It doesn't really equate to 'modern'.

'West' just refers to the countries that continue the traditions started by the Greeks and Romans. It doesn't really equate to 'modern'.

Yes that was my point. Just because Japan is like us bank,business,democracy wise doesn't make them western.

The origins of Western culture are often referred to as "three pillars": ancient Greece (concretely Greek philosophy), the Roman Empire (specifically Roman law), and Catholic and Protestant Christianity. Broadly, these foundations are referred to as Greco-Roman and Christian roots. Germanic, Slavic and Celtic cultures also took part in the formation of the culture of medieval Europe. The influence of secular humanism has been profound since the European Renaissance, as well as Enlightenment's thought and Rationalism, romantic ideals, and later tendences such as Modernism, Pop culture, and various subcultural and countercultural movements.

I doubt even if China or India become more modernised and have higher HDI ratings than Canada that they will be considered western. Maybe modernised liberal democracys (I know they have a liberal democracy all ready in India)
buy, not western.

IMO

How does the function of "the west" change in the multi polar world we are entering?
Welcome to twenty years ago.

The world has always been multipolar. Just that nobody ever noticed because the U.S. was bigger and badder than all the other Big Dawgs. Take a look at all the things that have gone wrong for the U.S. throughout its history, and you'll see the U.S. was never really running much of anything. The world was multipolar from Day One.

Europe should be Europe, America should be America and China should be china.

there's not much to do about this anyway, unless you want to wait for major plate tectonical changes...

edit:

This is our land, it has allways been. This is our land, it is white, proud and free.

lol, allright, now i understand... so carry on being white, if nothing else...

A unified West under the direction (not control) of the US would be the most beneficial for all of the Western powers.
The Greater Western Co-Prosperity Sphere? No thanks.

I don't know what's going to happen, but what I'd like to see happen is for the EU to form a unified federal state and challenge US economic dominance.

Yes, in which case I'd classify most of the EU countries, US, Canada, Australia and so on but not the rest. Especially not countries like Japan, China and India. It's got nothing to do with economies and industrialization.

Anyway, I don't like China. I don't trust the country. In every way it seems to contradict everything the western world stands for.

I believe this 21st century will be a battle for supremacy between the two. And I know which side I'll be standing on. I don't believe we can coexist. China desperately wants to be the world leader in everything.

Yes, in which case I'd classify most of the EU countries, US, Canada, Australia and so on but not the rest. Especially not countries like Japan, China and India. It's got nothing to do with economies and industrialization.

Anyway, I don't like China. I don't trust the country. In every way it seems to contradict everything the western world stands for.

I believe this 21st century will be a battle for supremacy between the two. And I know which side I'll be standing on. I don't believe we can coexist. China desperately wants to be the world leader in everything.

Well if you don't believe you can co-exist, and you arent working on ways of making that function, then obviously you will lead yourself down a road where conflict is inevitable. you're putting forth a self fulfilling prophecy.

China desperately wants to be the world leader in everything like every other nation on earth.

Top Bottom