There are more of us than there are of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show me someone on social media actually doing something that helps people, and I will applaud them.

Entitled sociopaths who seek to mob-murder anyone who "hurts their feelings" can roll on.
Weird how your (serious) allegations need no "showing", apparently just your words will do.

This is what I was highlighting. It's just you, passing judgement on folks you likely don't know and likely never will. You have no authority to make these claims, and your claims shouldn't be treated with the authority you present them with. When you say "sjws", we should all assume what Lexicus rightfully did at the beginning - that you're as prone to these kinds of outbursts (I mean, look, you literally just called a bunch of unknown people "entitled sociopaths") as the "sjws" you disdain so much.

It's a label, and a perjorative one. You have no evidence to support it, other than a blanket dislike of people being "forced" off of social media. Which is funny, because I swear no "sjws" were involved in forcing Kellie Marie Tran off of social media (to take a popular and well-cited example). It's almost like this particular act you dislike shouldn't be linked solely to "sjws" and their apparent "fascism", which was your original claim in all this.

Show me someone on social media actually doing something that helps people, and I will applaud them.

Entitled sociopaths who seek to mob-murder anyone who "hurts their feelings" can roll on.

Sociopaths also monetize other people's suffering and take delight in their miseries.

I certainly wouldn't take anything they say in good faith nor would I give much consideration to any of their attempts to deflect.

Weird how your (serious) allegations need no "showing", apparently just your words will do.

Yes, like you, and everyone else on OT.

This is what I was highlighting. It's just you, passing judgement on folks you likely don't know and likely never will. You have no authority to make these claims, and your claims shouldn't be treated with the authority you present them with. When you say "sjws", we should all assume what Lexicus rightfully did at the beginning - that you're as prone to these kinds of outbursts (I mean, look, you literally just called a bunch of unknown people "entitled sociopaths") as the "sjws" you disdain so much.

Welcome to the internet. I have all the authority I need in the form of a keyboard. :)

It's a label, and a perjorative one. You have no evidence to support it, other than a blanket dislike of people being "forced" off of social media. Which is funny, because I swear no "sjws" were involved in forcing Kellie Marie Tran off of social media (to take a popular and well-cited example). It's almost like this particular act you dislike shouldn't be linked solely to "sjws" and their apparent "fascism", which was your original claim in all this.

I like how you completely ignore my statement that I celebrate real activists, but I guess you could not delay in getting that euphoric self-righteous hit. :D

Yes, like you, and everyone else on OT.

:wavey: Not picking your sample of interaction super carefully for that point.

Couple of these fellas will scrape up data when asked. Depends on who is asking for it though.

I like how you completely ignore my statement that I celebrate real activists, but I guess you could not delay in getting that euphoric self-righteous hit. :D
Which, to you, are apparently unable to be the same people that you deride online for participating in "cancel culture". Which came out of you talking about "sjws" and their "fascism".

Take about self-righteousness all you want man, you're the one flaunting the authority a keyboard apparently gives you!

Be sure to mention that next time when somebody starts talking about how group X is being badly treated.
I'm not sure if you pop into threads like these occasionally just to get a potshot (odd that Curt didn't pick up on the inherent flaws in your assumption, but that kind of blind spot is common enough), but the context was Zardnaar dismissing Mary's lived life. Not a set of evidenced actions attributed to or against a particular demographic.

I cannot assume your life. I cannot assume Cloud's. I cannot assume Curt's, nor can I assume Mary's. I can use factual data about demographics (particularly marginalised demographics, if and where reliable data is appropriate) to make points. There's a pretty obvious difference between the two things.

Heheh.

I imagine it's incredibly comforting to have no real institutional threats to your freedom and safety to worry about.

Probably, so why advocate for introducing more institutional threats to freedom and safety?

Note that typically institutions push the "safety" narrative at the expense of "freedom". Recent example: the COPPA trash where a regulatory body holds that random people can be fined $40k if they guess wrongly about how many kids might find their content appealing. Ostensibly, this is to "keep kids safe". In practice, why are the tracking companies not held to account for tracking kids and personalizing ads to them? What happened to parental controls?

The worst part is that the US has no major political party that doesn't participate in this abject idiocy. Republicans and Democrats will target different things, but neither is particularly interested in your freedom (or actual safety in most cases), nor are the companies lining their pockets interested in such.

And yet, somehow we're still better than the EU/China/etc. Sad stuff.

Which, to you, are apparently unable to be the same people that you deride online for participating in "cancel culture". Which came out of you talking about "sjws" and their "fascism".

Take about self-righteousness all you want man, you're the one flaunting the authority a keyboard apparently gives you!

I'm not sure if you pop into threads like these occasionally just to get a potshot (odd that Curt didn't pick up on the inherent flaws in your assumption, but that kind of blind spot is common enough), but the context was Zardnaar dismissing Mary's lived life. Not a set of evidenced actions attributed to or against a particular demographic.

I cannot assume your life. I cannot assume Cloud's. I cannot assume Curt's, nor can I assume Mary's. I can use factual data about demographics (particularly marginalised demographics, if and where reliable data is appropriate) to make points. There's a pretty obvious difference between the two things.

The reason I dismissed her was she didn't provide any context.

Or she claimed living on 25k USD was poor. My mother raised kids on a fraction of that.

She also accuses people of privilege while having a combined 100k+ household income while posting photos of getting her hair done. I suspect she lacks perspective of real poverty. I don't.

A lot of SJWs are try hards from middle and upper class families who have never really experienced poverty or any hardship but are very quick to accuse others of privilege.

Get back to me when you've lived on $6 a week for food and tapwater. Box of breakfast cereal, bottle of milk and a 10 pack of ramen noodles.

Or bringing home a cabbage from a farm for a week's worth of coleslaw and scavenging shellfish off rocks. Or buying your own clothes aged 15 on $13 a day wages.

Last edited:
Your mother lived in a different time, Zardnaar, the economics for which were different. In a different country, no?

You seem to be treating this like a competition. If people weren't as poor as your mother, then they're privileged or something. $25k USD isn't a lot of money at all in 2019 in America. NZ also benefits from generally cheaper prices and costs across the board, it looks like.

Income is only one to talk about. Your family was poor. That doesn't mean Mary (or anyone) can't talk about privilege. It does, however, handily demonstrate how badly you understand the concept of privilege.

You have no idea how poor I've been, for example. And yet, I don't think you (or Curt) would magically start listening to me based on that. Nor should you just on how working class my family was alone.

So very witty, but not relevant when you live in a society where supermarkets sell food for pennies, and "problems" are people not believing in your tulpas.
I didn't realize we were talking about a magical utopian society, I thought it was about Earth. My mistake.

I didn't realize we were talking about a magical utopian society, I thought it was about Earth. My mistake.

Western people have it easy compared to people living in truly oppressive societies.

I suppose your Ipad running low on batteries, or getting gaslighted is worse than being hung for being gay or for blasmphemy.

Western people have it easy compared to people living in truly oppressive societies.

I suppose your Ipad running low on batteries, or getting gaslighted is worse than being hung for being gay or for blasmphemy.
I believe this is called a strawman. The idea that atrocities occurring elsewhere means it's pointless to try and improve our own comparatively better society is ludicrous.

And besides - there are plenty of problems and oppression in western societies. Your decision to only highlight trivial issues of wealthy suburbanites does not make that untrue.

Your mother lived in a different time, Zardnaar, the economics for which were different. In a different country, no?

You seem to be treating this like a competition. If people weren't as poor as your mother, then they're privileged or something. $25k USD isn't a lot of money at all in 2019 in America. NZ also benefits from generally cheaper prices and costs across the board, it looks like.

Income is only one to talk about. Your family was poor. That doesn't mean Mary (or anyone) can't talk about privilege. It does, however, handily demonstrate how badly you understand the concept of privilege.

You have no idea how poor I've been, for example. And yet, I don't think you (or Curt) would magically start listening to me based on that. Nor should you just on how working class my family was alone.

NZ things cost more than America.

In the 90s it was generally 50% more after converting the currency's.

We don't have cheap Walmart, Amazon, groceries, petrol, cars etc. We had cheap rent but lived in a small economically depressed town it's why rent was cheap. No one wanted to live there.

SJWs claim you can't claim to know how disadvantaged people have lived.

I doubt anyone here has experienced real poverty like I did in the 90s after parents got divorced.

My first job in our currency $22 a day in the weekend. A paperback novel that's $5 or less in the USA was $15 or $16 dollars.

I bought a Sega Genesis in 1993 working on farm for $26 a day. It cost me $350. Our gas is around $6 a gallon.

The average house price is 600k, the median wage is less than 50k.

25k USD isn't a lot here either but it's still better than what a few people get and double what our pensioners get and they get more than someone on unemployment.

I just laugh at middle class people claiming they're poor lol. Doesn't bother me if someone is middle class or rich just be aware if it.

My $6 a week example was 1999 student, I got $90 USD a week, rent was $40.

Most beneficiarys here I knew get extra money in a variety of ways not all of them legal.

Last edited:
Western people still starve to death, still suffer from poverty and malnutrition, conflict and repression as well as bigotry.

What about being harrassed for being disabled or trans? I reasonably consider those to be pretty repulsive acts, even more so when people celebrate them and memoralize them.

Western people also have to contend with absolute losers stalking them off and online, cataloguing their every movement and missteps.

I believe this is called a strawman. The idea that atrocities occurring elsewhere means it's pointless to try and improve our own comparatively better society is ludicrous.

And besides - there are plenty of problems and oppression in western societies. Your decision to only highlight trivial issues of wealthy suburbanites does not make that untrue.

Your spurious attitude that our imperfect society is some kind of tyrannical hell is equally ludicrious.

Please list the dangers to your life and liberty that have happened to you personally this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom