There is no legitmate government in Venezuela, says former Supreme Court Justice

This all hinges on whether Chavez is alive and recovering or not. You were convinced he was dead or in a coma, and all your other pseudo-legal reasoning flowed from that assumption.
No it doesn't, no I wasn't, and no it doesn't again.

Regardless of Chávez's true health condition (which nobody outside the Venezuelan Politburo knows for sure what is), the fact is the Venezuelan Constitution, written by Chávez and his cronies themselves, says that in such case power should have gone to the highest elected official, namely, the President of the National Assembly. And after 30 days, if the elected President fails to show up, new elections must be called. They didn't follow the law because they knew Chávez wouldn't be able to show up in 30 days.

Instead, a man who wasn't elected for anything nor appointed for any position in the current administration took over. This isn't pseudo-legal reasoning, this is a black-and-white case of an illegal move, as recognized by every non-Chavista legal expert in Venezuela.

Chávez being alive, dead or in come changes nothing of the above. The picture may be real, it may also be a forgery (and that's a very easy pic to forge; I could do it).

Maduro for all intents and purposes is president at the moment.

Why people on this forum don't want to believe Luiz on Latin American political matters and instead push their own heavily flawed misconceptions of the region and its politics beats me.

Regardless of Chávez's true health condition (which nobody outside the Venezuelan Politburo knows for sure what is),

Not necessarily. The only people who we can clearly say they know for certain are the Cubans. Whether the Venezuelan Politburo as you put it, knows of Chavez' true condition or not is probably up to whatever their Cuban counterparts decided they should know.

The rest of your post details the exact situation at the moment in Venezuela.

Even brazilian ex-president Lula could not meet Chavéz in his last visit to Cuba. He is clearly in very bad shape. His last election was a mistake, he could have avoid all this by appointing a successor for the election. This personalism and centralism can't be good even for his polical organization.

Okay, showed up to this party late, hope people don't mind the comments:

I didn't realize we had an assembly or an un-elected VP. :huh:
Edit:
:ninja:'d

Well, Gerald Ford was appointed after Agnew resigned and then became president, so there is some sort of analog to US politics here (at least from what I can tell from Neomega and luiz's postings).

45% of the Venezuela people voted for the opposition, even after a highly unequal battle where Chávez has multiple times more resources, TV times, etc., and many people were threatened and coerced.

So while Chávez is in fact loved by a large part of the Venezuelan people, he is by no mean an unanimity. He is hated as much as he is loved, and quite a lot of people are indifferent.

But I see that you subscribe to the caudillesque logic that if a man got over 50% of the votes he is automatically loved by all and everything he does reflects "the will of people" (as if there were such thing).

Just noting that several US presidential candidates have lost elections with more than 45% of the vote. 22, if my count as I page through the wiki is correct, and this doesn't account for the 3-way and 4-way elections where the margins were close as well--I think that total was 28 or so.

So what does the mandate you were referring to previously mean? Winning an election, or a particular threshold in the polls, or something?

Well, Gerald Ford was appointed after Agnew resigned and then became president, so there is some sort of analog to US politics here (at least from what I can tell from Neomega and luiz's postings).
It would only be analogous if Ford was appointed after the President himself resigned, that is, if he wasn't appointed at all. Maduro wasn't appointed to any position in this administration.

Just noting that several US presidential candidates have lost elections with more than 45% of the vote. 22, if my count as I page through the wiki is correct, and this doesn't account for the 3-way and 4-way elections where the margins were close as well--I think that total was 28 or so.

So what does the mandate you were referring to previously mean? Winning an election, or a particular threshold in the polls, or something?
I was just contesting the totalitarian view that because Chávez got more votes he is justified in doing anything, and whatver he does is "the will of the people". I was pointing out that nearly half of Venezuelas voted against him and he isn't really entitled to rule as a despot as he does.

Woodrow wilson was incapacitated in the last year of his presidency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodrow_Wilson

Wilson suffered from a bout of influenza early in 1919.[150] The immediate cause of his incapacitation was the physical strain of the public speaking tour he undertook to obtain support for ratification of the Covenant of the League of Nations. In Pueblo, Colorado, on September 25, 1919,[151] he collapsed.[152]

Then, on October 2, 1919, he suffered a serious stroke that almost totally incapacitated him, leaving him paralyzed on his left side and blind in his left eye.[153] He was confined to bed for weeks, sequestered from nearly everyone except his wife and his physician, Dr. Cary Grayson.[154] For at least a few months, he used a wheelchair. Later, he could walk only with the assistance of a cane. His wife and his chief of staff helped a journalist, Louis Seibold, present a false account of an interview with the President.[155]

With few exceptions, Wilson was kept out of the presence of Vice President Thomas R. Marshall, his cabinet, and Congressional visitors to the White House for the remainder of his term. His wife served as his steward, selecting issues for his attention and delegating other issues to his cabinet heads. Eventually, Wilson resumed his attendance at cabinet meetings, but his input there was perfunctory at best.[156] This was one of the most serious cases of presidential disability in American history and was later cited as an argument for the 25th Amendment, which deals with succession to the presidency.[157] The full extent of his disability was kept from the public until after his death on February 3, 1924.

I really don't think that's the case, I've never met a Venezuelen and they don't even show up in the relevant stats: http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cen...T=501&Lang=E&GV=4&GID=4806016&Prov=48&S=0&O=A

You got to remember that oilfield engineers aren't exactly a huge mass of people, so they're not likely to show up on overall stats. But Venezuelan expats have become extremely common in the oil&gas sector after Chávez destroyed PDVSA, this I can assure you. In Macaé (Brazil's offshore capital), Venezuelans are the second biggest foreign population, after Americans.

Also, there are more Venezuelan researchers in the US than Venezuela.

Luiz, how did Chavéz "effectively expelled" a large portion of wealthy / entrepreneurial Venezuelans from the country? Can you explain what the concept of "effectively expel means" to you?
Is it the same as impoverishing the poor in a country to the point where they have to emigrate in order to have shelter and food? I'm asking because you don't seem to have any issue with that kind of "effective expulsion", so this one you talk about must have been something different.

How large a portion were the wealthy among the whole population, that they don't even show up on the stats of immigrants in those countries they have been "expelled" to?

It looks to me that he tweaked the rules of a game that until the late 90s had concentrated the vast majority of the wealth of the country in the hands of very few, and some of those got pissed and decided to leave rather than keep playing without the old favourable rules. They also tried to take the ball, but failed at that.

Luiz, how did Chavéz "effectively expelled" a large portion of wealthy / entrepreneurial Venezuelans from the country? Can you explain what the concept of "effectively expel means" to you?
Is it the same as impoverishing the poor in a country to the point where they have to emigrate in order to have shelter and food? I'm asking because you don't seem to have any issue with that kind of "effective expulsion", so this one you talk about must have been something different.

How large a portion were the wealthy among the whole population, that they don't even show up on the stats of immigrants in those countries they have been "expelled" to?

It looks to me that he tweaked the rules of a game that until the late 90s had concentrated the vast majority of the wealth of the country in the hands of very few, and some of those got pissed and decided to leave rather than keep playing without the old favourable rules. They also tried to take the ball, but failed at that.

He effectively expelled 19,000 highly qualified oil workers following the 2002-2003 PDVSA strike. He fired everyone, and forbade anyone associated with the workers union that carried the strike (CVT) from working there again. Since PDVSA has a monopoly on oil production and refining, oil workers that can't work for PDVSA have in effect been exiled.

So he expelled 19,000 highly qualified oil workers, and oil production in Venezuela has steadily declined ever since. And now PDVSA is not run by competent technicians as it always was, but rather by illiterate and corrupt cronies whose only "quality" is a canine loyalty to the caudillo.

He effectively expelled 19,000 highly qualified oil workers following the 2002-2003 PDVSA strike. He fired everyone, and forbade anyone associated with the workers union that carried the strike (CVT) from working there again. Since PDVSA has a monopoly on oil production and refining, oil workers that can't work for PDVSA have in effect been exiled.

So he expelled 19,000 highly qualified oil workers, and oil production in Venezuela has steadily declined ever since. And now PDVSA is not run by competent technicians as it always was, but rather by illiterate and corrupt cronies whose only "quality" is a canine loyalty to the caudillo.

Your prophecies of doom for Venezuela are getting a bit old. For its oil sector too. Where's the collapse you've been predicting?

I'm usually not one to speak, seeing as I'm expecting the EU to collapse since last year, but how many years ago was that conflict? And he didn't expel anyone, they were free to work anywhere they were actually willing to work. They had shown themselves clearly unwilling to work in PDVSA. The strike was never about their jobs, it was an outright refusal to work because they disliked the government. Fine, that government allowed that, something very few other governments in the world have done. But it also eventually got around to replace them. No 'western' state has even shown itself more patient about such an action as the Venezuelan did then.

Your prophecies of doom for Venezuela are getting a bit old. For its oil sector too. Where's the collapse you've been predicting?

I'm usually not one to speak, seeing as I'm expecting the EU to collapse since last year, but how many years ago was that conflict? And he didn't expel anyone, they were free to work anywhere they were actually willing to work. They had shown themselves clearly unwilling to work in PDVSA. The strike was never about their jobs, it was an outright refusal to work because they disliked the government. Fine, that government allowed that, something very few other governments in the world have done. But it also eventually got around to replace them. No 'western' state has even shown itself more patient about such an action as the Venezuelan did then.

You're making my job easy, because you're arguing against facts.

Venezuelan oil production never recovered, 10 years after the strike. PDVSA was run by competent technicians that made it a respected company, now it is run by illiterate cronies incapable of at least keeping the oil production stable (and it should be expanding, as Venezuela has plenty of untapped reserves - the most of any country in the world, according to some studies).

As for the strike. The workers were protesting Chávez's meddling in the company and naming of cronies for top positions, which were traditionally occupied by career technicians. So they went on strike, together with workers from many other sectors, to pressure the government into calling early elections, which is allowed by Venezuelan law. How does Chávez reacts? Fires every single one of PDVSA's 19,000 workers and blacklists them so they and their family members will never do business in the Venezuelan oil sector again. Your claim that they "can work elsewhere" shows exactly the sort of inhuman "humanism" of the left: where exactly are highly qualified oil workers going to work if not in the oil sector? Do you expect them to become lawyers or doctors? Or maybe buss boys? No, obviously they had to flee the country, and that's what virtually all of them did.

I find your leftist reaction to the strike curious. Against a right-wing government or a private corporation, strikes are an epic and just struggle and the strikers deserve all sorts of legal protection. Against a leftist caudillo, the strikers are traitors who deserve to be fired and blacklisted for life, together with their families.

Now, as for Venezuela "collapsing". You keep putting this "prediction" in my mouth, when I have always maintained that the fact that oil prices increased more than tenfold during Chávez's rule was capable of keeping his regime afloat. But that doesn't mean there were no severe negative effects. Venezuela had the worst growth rate, during Chávez's rule, of any major South American economy. It was the only country to experience 3 years of recession in a row in the period. Inflation is at least 25% per year, and this with a controlled currency (now that he devalued the Bolívar, analysts expect even higher inflation). The arming of militias and under funding of the police have led to an unprecedented violence boom, making Caracas the murder capital of the world, more deadly than Baghdad. Oil production is lower today than it was in 2001, with vast untapped reserves laying idle. There are fewer hospital beds in 2013 than 2000. There is widespread shortage of goods in the markets, including food.

Basically, Chávez was a massive failure, a catastrophe. He was extremely lucky to rule over an unprecedented boom in oil prices, but still could not avert a massive failure.

You're making my job easy, because you're arguing against facts.

Didn't realize you had a job attacking certain governments online!

Venezuelan oil production never recovered, 10 years after the strike. PDVSA was run by competent technicians that made it a respected company, now it is run by illiterate cronies incapable of at least keeping the oil production stable (and it should be expanding, as Venezuela has plenty of untapped reserves - the most of any country in the world, according to some studies).

You keep talking about that, but is there any reason, any reason at all, for Venezuela to deplete its oil reserves faster by extracting and selling more of it? Has Venezuela a trade deficit in need of being covered with oil exports? Foreign debt to pay? Perhaps a deflation problem due to lack of internal spending?

As for the strike. The workers were protesting Chávez's meddling in the company and naming of cronies for top positions, which were traditionally occupied by career technicians. So they went on strike, together with workers from many other sectors, to pressure the government into calling early elections, which is allowed by Venezuelan law. How does Chávez reacts? Fires every single one of PDVSA's 19,000 workers and blacklists them so they and their family members will never do business in the Venezuelan oil sector again.

Those people on strike could get what they demanded, a recall referendum, though the political process. Indeed it was done later. They instead went on strike for 3 months paralysing a vital sector of the country as a form of economic blackmail imposed on the rest of the population. Once that population had their say these workers still had the option of accepting it and ending the strike. They refused. They were finally replaced. Where exactly do you manage to find any fault with the venezuelan government's handling of the situation?

Furthermore it is a bald-faced lie you keep repeating that the venezuelan government sacked the whole labour force of PDVSA. Those on strike were a minority; the 'lower ranked' workers did not join them. PDVSA did not collapse. Oil production was restored through their effort, though it took some time.

Finally, I must say that for someone who keeps thumping his chest about being supported by facts you are notoriously shout on any verifiable reference supporting even a single one of your claims made here.

Your claim that they "can work elsewhere" shows exactly the sort of inhuman "humanism" of the left: where exactly are highly qualified oil workers going to work if not in the oil sector? Do you expect them to become lawyers or doctors? Or maybe buss boys? No, obviously they had to flee the country, and that's what virtually all of them did.

Inhuman? Really? You know what is quite human? To forbid strikes or unions, something I'm sure you are all for. To demand that some people be treated as some kind of upper caste who shall not be 'humiliated' into having to accept jobs outside of management or other highly paid services. To belittle all those who in fact have to fee countries wither for lack of basic means of sustenance (poverty in Venezuela was huge while those well-to-do workers went on in their strike to overthrow a government for the unspeakable crime trying to use some of the oil income to alleviate that poverty) or real political persecution by claiming that wealthy people who left because they were pissed at losing a political confrontation and having to search for something below their 'social standing' have been "expelled" in the same way. All that is quite human. You are a human being and you do it all. Amazing, human capacity to set oneself as the centre of the world and hold a totally distorted vision of everything else just for that sake.
It's kind of a caste thing, isn't it? You see yourself as a managed, a member of a glorified caste of upper servants, and so you suffer for the "expulsion" of all those fellow caste brothers. Oh, the inhumanity of it! :rolleyes:

I find your leftist reaction to the strike curious. Against a right-wing government or a private corporation, strikes are an epic and just struggle and the strikers deserve all sorts of legal protection. Against a leftist caudillo, the strikers are traitors who deserve to be fired and blacklisted for life, together with their families.

I said it about the british coal miners striking inside a nationalized industry, I say it about the oil workers who went on strike in Venezuela, or anyone using economic blackmail against an elected government: you fight such fights in in the election booth and the political arena, not through such blackmail. It applies to whatever caste of workers does it, from the lower levels up to and including bankers and their ilk.

Venezuela had the worst growth rate, during Chávez's rule, of any major South American economy. It was the only country to experience 3 years of recession in a row in the period. Inflation is at least 25% per year, and this with a controlled currency (now that he devalued the Bolívar, analysts expect even higher inflation). The arming of militias and under funding of the police have led to an unprecedented violence boom, making Caracas the murder capital of the world, more deadly than Baghdad. Oil production is lower today than it was in 2001, with vast untapped reserves laying idle. There are fewer hospital beds in 2013 than 2000. There is widespread shortage of goods in the markets, including food.

So they're having an inflation problem and you want them to increase oil exports? :crazyeye:
Which 3 years in a row of recession were those, data please. Oil production, tell you what: find me the evidence for lower production in any 10 year span since 2000, the year before those conflicts in PVDSA. Check the OPEC reports if you don't know here to start. :deal: I'm not even bothering to check your hospital beds thing, you lack credibility for me to waste any more time.
You see, I'm trying to argue with facts here. You are arguing with your wishes.

Didn't realize you had a job attacking certain governments online!
Forgive me, I forgot the proverbial difficulty Portuguese people have with figures of speech ;)

You keep talking about that, but is there any reason, any reason at all, for Venezuela to deplete its oil reserves faster by extracting and selling more of it? Has Venezuela a trade deficit in need of being covered with oil exports? Foreign debt to pay? Perhaps a deflation problem due to lack of internal spending?
The reason is the same why every country that has vast oil reserves try to exploit them as much as possible, to become richer.

Venezuela is a poor country with massive social problems. Not only that, as I already mentioned, its economy was the worst performer in the continent during Chávez's reign. It is beyond obvious that they would like to exploit their reserves better; they don't do it because PDVSA is now run by baboons. So production decreased.

Oh, and Venezuela's foreign debt more than tripled under Chávez, from $24.2 to $88.7 billion dollars. By contrast, other oil-rich nations such as the United Arab Emirates and Norway have saved billions in investment funds. So there's that, too.

Those people on strike could get what they demanded, a recall referendum, though the political process. Indeed it was done later. They instead went on strike for 3 months paralysing a vital sector of the country as a form of economic blackmail imposed on the rest of the population. Once that population had their say these workers still had the option of accepting it and ending the strike. They refused. They were finally replaced. Where exactly do you manage to find any fault with the venezuelan government's handling of the situation?

Furthermore it is a bald-faced lie you keep repeating that the venezuelan government sacked the whole labour force of PDVSA. Those on strike were a minority; the 'lower ranked' workers did not join them. PDVSA did not collapse. Oil production was restored through their effort, though it took some time.

Finally, I must say that for someone who keeps thumping his chest about being supported by facts you are notoriously shout on any verifiable reference supporting even a single one of your claims made here.
Bald-faced lie, eh? Only top ranks were fired, eh?

Wiki said:
In the aftermath of the strike, the government fired 18,000 PDVSA employees, 40% of the company's workforce, for "dereliction of duty" during the strike.[25]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezuelan_general_strike_of_2002-2003
So as you can see my numbers were correct (another 1,000 employees were fired afterwards), and a huge portion of the workforce was involved in the strike, and all of those were fired.
Now, obviously, 100% of the workforce could never take part in the strike - PDVSA has a very sizable presence in the US, Brazil and other places. Obviously, none of them were fired. Additionally, in every company of that size thousands of employees are essentially only "helpers" with little or no qualification, and it makes no sense to punish them for anything.

But the fact remain that the 19,000 workers who were sacked were precisely the qualified oil workers. Venezuela lost virtually all of them.

Inhuman? Really? You know what is quite human? To forbid strikes or unions, something I'm sure you are all for.
Eh, no. I would never forbid either, as they are both legitimate tools of collective action. I'm against compulsory union membership and other such coercive legislation, but I am not at all opposed to unions.

To demand that some people be treated as some kind of upper caste who shall not be 'humiliated' into having to accept jobs outside of management or other highly paid services.
PDVSA didn't have 19,000 managers. 40% of the TOTAL workforce was not composed of managers. We're talking of skilled technicians, engineers, geologists, etc.
And I do hope nobody is humiliated, blacklisted and forced into exile; management and workers alike.

To belittle all those who in fact have to fee countries wither for lack of basic means of sustenance (poverty in Venezuela was huge while those well-to-do workers went on in their strike to overthrow a government for the unspeakable crime trying to use some of the oil income to alleviate that poverty) or real political persecution by claiming that wealthy people who left because they were pissed at losing a political confrontation and having to search for something below their 'social standing' have been "expelled" in the same way. All that is quite human. You are a human being and you do it all. Amazing, human capacity to set oneself as the centre of the world and hold a totally distorted vision of everything else just for that sake.
It's kind of a caste thing, isn't it? You see yourself as a managed, a member of a glorified caste of upper servants, and so you suffer for the "expulsion" of all those fellow caste brothers. Oh, the inhumanity of it! :rolleyes:
Oh my.
So firing 19,000 workers who were doing something allowed by Law, demanding something foreseen in the Constitution, is A-OK.
And how were they not fleeing poverty? They were expelled from their sector of expertise. They were very much fleeing unemployment, poverty and political persecution.

But hey, they're "the enemy", right? In your eyes they belong to the GULAG, or perhaps the Cuban "paredón", to cite two regimes you love. They're not humans, right? They're the class enemy, the enemies of the people, the enemies of history and of progress. Right?

I said it about the british coal miners striking inside a nationalized industry, I say it about the oil workers who went on strike in Venezuela, or anyone using economic blackmail against an elected government: you fight such fights in in the election booth and the political arena, not through such blackmail. It applies to whatever caste of workers does it, from the lower levels up to and including bankers and their ilk.
Well, it is too bad that Venezuelan law gave them the right to do exactly as they did...

So they're having an inflation problem and you want them to increase oil exports? :crazyeye:
Which 3 years in a row of recession were those, data please. Oil production, tell you what: find me the evidence for lower production in any 10 year span since 2000, the year before those conflicts in PVDSA. Check the OPEC reports if you don't know here to start. :deal: I'm not even bothering to check your hospital beds thing, you lack credibility for me to waste any more time.
You see, I'm trying to argue with facts here. You are arguing with your wishes.
I'll give your data. But first a quick question: why didn't you ask for a source for my claim that, under Chávez (and only under Chávez), Venezuela's violence skyrocketed and Caracas became the murder capital of the world, more dangerous than Baghdad?

Number of hospital beds falling under Chávez:
For example, the president says he has revolutionized health care by setting up free clinics staffed by Cuban doctors in poor slums across the country. But hospitals have lagged behind, with officials figures showing the number of available hospital beds down from 28,000 beds in 2000 to 22,000 in 2010.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/23/venezuela-oil-production_n_1907170.html

Recession on years in a row:
I was slightly wrong, it was only two years in a row with an actual recession (negative growth), but that still gives Venezuela the distinction of being the only country in South America to go through two years of recession following the financial crisis

GDP Change:
2009: -3.2%
2010: -1.5%

And this on the same decade as Chávez achieved this:
2002: -8.9%
2003: -7.8%
http://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...ry:VE&ifdim=world&hl=en_US&dl=en_US&ind=false

Falling oil production:
Year Barrels(000) Change
2000 3,155.00 11.65%
2001 3,010.00 -4.60%
2002 2,603.95 -13.49%
2003 2,335.19 -10.32%
2004 2,556.94 9.50%
2005 2,564.66 0.30%
2006 2,510.55 -2.11%
2007 2,432.64 -3.10%
2008 2,394.02 -1.59%
2009 2,239.45 -6.46%
2010 2,145.75 -4.18%
2011 2,240.00 4.39%
http://www.indexmundi.com/energy.aspx?country=ve&product=oil&graph=production

So in 2011 oil production was 30% below the 2000 level, even with vast untapped reserves lying idle. I particularly like the 5 years in a row of falling production between 2006 and 2010. Will you blame them on the strike that ended many years before as well?

And I know you didn't ask for it, but I'll provide a source for my claim that under Chávez Venezuela became a deadly war zone:

The Venezuela Violence Observatory says at least 19,336 people have been killed this year, an average of 53 a day.
The figures suggest Venezuela's murder rate is the highest in South America and four times that of Mexico.
"We must inform the nation that 2011 will end as the the most violent year in the nation's history," the Venezuela Violence Observatory (OVV) said in a news release.
Its figures - based on research by several Venezuelan universities - suggest that in 2011 Venezuela had a murder rate of 67 per 100,000 inhabitants.
That compares to 32 per 100,000 last year in neighbouring Colombia and 14 per 100,000 in Mexico, two countries suffering widespread drug-related violence.
The OVV says violent crime has risen steadily in Venezuela since 1999 when President Chavez took office. In that year only 4,550 murders were registered.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16349118

Put all of the above together and boy, what a success story!
Just like Cuba is a shining success! Is there a pattern somewhere I'm missing?

I provided sources for everything you asked (and then some more). I hope you have the courtesy of addressing each issue I presented individually.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Oil production also fell drastically between 1997 and 1999, and never reached the 1997 levels. So if you went on crude production alone, it would appear that this great strike must have happened in 1997, or that the people working there from 1997 - 1999 were incompetent. The very same people you claim were competently running PDVSA in 1997 were the ones fired in 2001 after trying to go on strike to reverse election results. Which by the way, is not really what strikes are supposed to be for.

Oil production never reached 1997 levels. Who is to blame for that?

Furthermore, in 2000, Chavez went around to OPEC countries and lobbied them to cut output.

All you did was pick some points on a chart, and try to demonize Chavez with them.
I provided sources for everything you asked (and then some more). I hope you have the courtesy of addressing each issue I presented individually.

How about proof Chavez is dead or in a coma?

But hey, they're "the enemy", right? In your eyes they belong to the GULAG, or perhaps the Cuban "paredón", to cite two regimes you love.

This is the chamber. These kind of comments are unnecessary. You are the one that started this in the chamber, so you should show the maturity to keep it in the chamber.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Oil production also fell drastically between 1997 and 1999, and never reached the 1997 levels. So if you went on crude production alone, it would appear that this great strike must have happened in 1997, or that the people working there from 1997 - 1999 were incompetent. The very same people you claim were competently running PDVSA in 1997 were the ones fired in 2001 after trying to go on strike to reverse election results. Which by the way, is not really what strikes are supposed to be for.

Oil production never reached 1997 levels. Who is to blame for that?

Furthermore, in 2000, Chavez went around to OPEC countries and lobbied them to cut output.

All you did was pick some points on a chart, and try to demonize Chavez with them.
Oh, please.
Some fluctuation in output is normal. A 30% loss in a decade is not. 5 years in a row of falling production in a country with huge untapped reserves (and very favorable oil prices) is not.

I didn't "pick numbers from a chart", I provided a source for my claim that under Chávez oil production decreased dramatically and never recovered to the the levels of the previous decade. I was asked to provide a source and I did. I gave numbers for all years of Chávez's reign.

Now lets address the rest of your nonsense.

How about proof Chavez is dead or in a coma?
I never claimed to know what his true health condition is. Show me where I did.

So why don't you prove that the moon landing never happened?

This is the chamber. These kind of comments are unnecessary. You are the one that started this in the chamber, so you should show the maturity to keep it in the chamber.
To be honest I started it in the Chamber with hopes that conspiracy nutcases would be kept out.

As for lack of maturity, it was an adequate reply given the tone of his post, accusing me of "caste" prejudice and whatnot. And he is a fan of Cuba and the USSR, and I do absolutely and honestly believe he would send them to the paredón if he so could. I'm not being ironic.

Oh, please.
Some fluctuation in output is normal. A 30% loss in a decade is not. 5 years in a row of falling production in a country with huge untapped reserves (and very favorable oil prices) is not.

Output has fallen since 1997, not 2001. Oil output has never reached the levels it was at 1997. For four years before the strike, these competent workers could not reach 1997 levels.

I am sure their firing hurt PDVSA. But there must be other factors in the fall of production, since it was happening for four years before the strike.

luiz said:
I never claimed to know what his true health condition is. Show me where I did.

Oh, I don't believe for a second that he's alive and recovering like the Chavistas say. Best case scenario (for him), he's in coma. But he might well be dead; I agree with you that Cuba and the Chavistas have an interest in keeping it a secret as long as possible.

"best case scenario" "I don't believe for one second" Sounds to me like you were pretty sure of yourself, Luiz.

luiz said:
To be honest I started it in the Chamber with hopes that conspiracy nutcases would be kept out.

then perhaps you should excuse yourself now, since regarding a photo of Chavez reading the days paper with his daughters, you said:

Luiz said:
That picture which may or may not be real.

++++++++++++

Luiz said:
So why don't you prove that the moon landing never happened?

I have never claimed the moon landings never happened on this thread, on these forums, on the internet, or to any friends I have ever met. Nor have the moon landings come up from anyone else on this thread, nor do I see how the moon landings could be relevant to this discussion. Furthermore, I resent you trying to pin something on to me I have never, ever claimed.

Again, this is the chamber. You should not have started your thread here if you wanted to be insulting, and you should try to keep on topic. You did start it in the chamber because you wanted, reasoned, civil debate, no?

Poor people are harder to be driven out, they usually die at spot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16349118

Put all of the above together and boy, what a success story!
Just like Cuba is a shining success! Is there a pattern somewhere I'm missing?

Interesting the BBC article says it is the highest in South America, (true) and four times that of Mexico, (true).

I will note Mexico is not in South America, and reveal the anti-Chavez BBC's sleight of hand. The sleight of hand done here is to make one think "South America" in this context includes "Central America." In fact, it does not.

Honduras actually has the highest crime rate in South and Central America, El Salvador has the second highest. Crime is endemic in these areas. So again, to pin everything on Chavez is to ignore the realities of the drug war on Latin America. Chavez has no control over Honduras and El Salvador, and their crime rates have also been skyrocketing. Crime has also exploded in Mexico in the past decade.

Countries with crime rates similar to Venezuela are Belize and the US Virgin Islands. Is Chavez responsible for the high murder rate in US territories as well?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

What is the United States doing wrong in the Virgin Islands?

Output has fallen since 1997, not 2001. Oil output has never reached the levels it was at 1997. For four years before the strike, these competent workers could not reach 1997 levels.

I am sure their firing hurt PDVSA. But there must be other factors in the fall of production, since it was happening for four years before the strike.
Output didn't fall every year from 1997 to 200; in fact 1997 itself was a year of intense growth. As I said some fluctuation is normal. You're making a big deal out of a small fluctuation in 1997-2000 and dismissing a freakin' 30% drop in a decade in which production should have increased dramatically given unprecedentedly favorable market conditions. But you're being dishonest, as will be made clear below.

"best case scenario" "I don't believe for one second" Sounds to me like you were pretty sure of yourself, Luiz.
And here you've shown your true colors. I was very clearly giving my personal opinion - I never claimed to have any knowledge of his true condition, and have in fact maintained that nobody outside a very small and controlled group does. And the post you quoted was precisely an answer to someone who questioned my claim that we don't know how bad he is!

So you're being dishonest. I repeat, I don't know what is his true condition, and neither does you. I can speculate that he is very very ill and probably close to death; I am fairly confident that's the case, but it's a personal opinion based on limited available information. I wonder if nutjobs understand the distinction between claiming something is a personal opinion, even a strong one, and claiming something is a demonstrable fact.

then perhaps you should excuse yourself now, since regarding a photo of Chavez reading the days paper with his daughters, you said:
And that's of course true, as even a kid can do it on Photoshop and the Venezuelan government has kept us all in the dark in the last two months. But I never denied it could well be real.

I have never claimed the moon landings never happened on this thread, on these forums, on the internet, or to any friends I have ever met. Nor have the moon landings come up from anyone else on this thread, nor do I see how the moon landings could be relevant to this discussion. Furthermore, I resent you trying to pin something on to me I have never, ever claimed.

Again, this is the chamber. You should not have started your thread here if you wanted to be insulting, and you should try to keep on topic. You did start it in the chamber because you wanted, reasoned, civil debate, no?
You have claimed the moon landings never happened exactly the same number of times I have claimed to know for a fact that Chávez is dead or in coma.

So you keep making that accusation, and I'll keep making this one.

Interesting the BBC article says it is the highest in South America, (true) and four times that of Mexico, (true).

I will note Mexico is not in South America, and reveal the anti-Chavez BBC's sleight of hand. The sleight of hand done here is to make one think "South America" in this context includes "Central America." In fact, it does not.

Honduras actually has the highest crime rate in South and Central America, El Salvador has the second highest. Crime is endemic in these areas. So again, to pin everything on Chavez is to ignore the realities of the drug war on Latin America. Chavez has no control over Honduras and El Salvador, and their crime rates have also been skyrocketing. Crime has also exploded in Mexico in the past decade.

Countries with crime rates similar to Venezuela are Belize and the US Virgin Islands. Is Chavez responsible for the high murder rate in US territories as well?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

What is the United States doing wrong in the Virgin Islands?
I'll note that they never claimed Mexico is in South America, only used it as a comparison since Mexico is usually associated with high violence.

I'll also note that while some very small nations and territories might have a violence rate comparable to Venezuela, that's not the point. The point is it only got bad after Chávez was elected; Venezuela wasn't at all a war zone before he ruined the country.

I'll finally note that BBC is a mainstream and widely respected news source, and seeing some hidden anti-Chávez agenda in the BBC is typical of conspiracy nutjobs. If they are posting a critical piece on Chávez, it is because there is something to be critical about.

Top Bottom