Thumbs up for Chris Christie

To be fair, Romney did win the pop. vote. So its not like the country is against Republican ideas as a whole. Not complaining about that, I neither like Romney nor refuse to acknowledge that that's how the system works, but you can't really say "Republicans lost because they wouldn't compromise and the independents didn't like it" when Romney had over half the popular vote.

That said, I absolutely disagree with you on compromising on taxes. The last time taxes weren't too high was when Coolidge was President. When the government is already encroaching on half of the labor of some people, there is no freaking way anyone should ever want to add to it.

Obama did as last I checked, albeit by a much smaller margin than the electoral spread would suggest.

Oh calm down man. I'm not saying Republicans should be driven before us so we can hear the lamentations of their women.

Christie did what he was supposed to as governor. Maybe he deserves some credit for that. But he doesn't and shouldn't be given platform to get himself re-elected. There are better men than him who can be governor. Corey Booker for instance.

Spoiler :
Ahem. Don't mind if I take umbrage with this.

No, the politics of zero sum total annihilation of the opposing party whatever the cost is going too far.

I'm pointing out that it's good when a Republican doesn't do that. That's not going too far. That's necessary for there to be in existence any political party in the opposition capable of compromise.

You don't call a spade a spade and say he did well here, and all you do is bash him regardless of what he does, nothing will ever change and you'll prove his Republican critics right: Which is that his only option is to back Romney and never say anything positive about the Democrats and never work with them.

That's terrible.

And you need to get a grip.

The governor of my state is a Republican that's worse than Christie and hasn't had a kind thing to say about a Democrat ever.

Christie, for all his Republicanism, is still a trade in the right direction.

I never said he stopped being a Republican, and I never said he stopped supporting things I disagree with, and in an election between him and a competent Democrat, I'd vote Democrat.

That doesn't mean he isn't a better Republican than most and I'd rather take him over tea party lunatics and Rick Scott.

I disagree. You're the short-sighted one here. You act like you're allergic to bipartisanship.

Bipartisan doesn't mean "I'll support a Republican as long as they're limp-wristed and faux Democrat."

Bipartisan means I can say man, that staunch Republican who is in no way close to being someone I would ordinarily vote for is someone I would prefer to most of what the Republican party has to offer, and I applaud him for reaching across the aisle when some people in my own party cannot.

I then go back to the politics of voting Democrat, but if given the choice between him and a Republican who is hopelessly shoved up their own butt, you have to choose the one that is proven to drop the partisan charade when it matters. That's all I'm saying.

Frankly, the fact that you'd dismiss this sort of understanding as idiocy is what is wrong with America, and you should be ashamed.

Did you go to bed before the West Coast was counted, mayhaps?

And this is part of the problem. They're departing. Snowe retired and Brown lost his race. Not holding office is how Americans now repay their representatives that show ability to compromise. Yes, we should lament the state of our politics, but you know what? It's entirely our own stupid fault.

That's not really fair. These people have been driven out of office by their own party. Their own party that would not allow them to compromise, until the point where they could not really serve their own constituency.

I didn't blame any specific party here. The blue dogs are just as dead.

So, yeah, Christie is the only type of Repub I can respect... he's a moderate... like most from the NE are... and some from CA I suppose.

The problem is, for the R's, he's not the type most of them want. So, they lose in the closed primaries, and then lose nationally. Imagine if Christie had run in Missouri? Hell, he's probably mainly to the left of McAskill or whoever she is anyhow, but you get my point.

Even if he wins the primary in 2016, which I would hope he would, because he's the only type of R I can even get near, I hope he has the courage to tell the "base" to get hosed and stand by his beliefs, unlike Romney, which quite frankly, cost him the election. He was a moderate, who swung right to make KY happy. Good work, and you wonder why you lost?

I guess expecting a politician to actually stand up for his beliefs is like asking him to commit carreer suicide... but if more did, it would lead to meaningful change.

That goes for the O-man too... do what you say, and you'd be awesome. You haven't.

Anyhow, end of rant.

I'm glad we've decided as a country which party is picking our next war and drone targets rather than choosing real change.

Top Bottom