TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIL you're not supposed to rinse after brushing your teeth because the fluoride takes time to strengthen your enamel and must remain on your teeth to have full effect.

So you just gulp down the toothpaste? I don't like my eggs tasting of mint.

That's why you brush your teeth after eating.

pretty sure that brushing teeth (shortly) after eating/drinking (besides water) is bad for your teeth

No you just spit out the excess toothpaste.

I typically brush my teeth before eating breakfast too cus I shower/brush teeth/get dressed, then go have breakfast. So idk, if it really bugs you brush teeth then shower whatever, so it has like 10 minutes to work then rinse I guess. Idk it's just what I read online!

Rinse with some water after you've had your glass of orange juice and you should be good to go for a brush.

That's why you brush your teeth after eating.

Yeah, you're supposed to brush before eating. The act of eating, particularly of eating acidic foods, wears down the enamel, making it so that brushing can actually end up damaging your teeth, rather than strengthening them.
Also flossing is at least as important as brushing, if not moreso, so don't skimp out on it ya dummies!

No one in my family has ever brushed before eating to my knowledge. I didn't even realise it was a thing.

Also flossing is at least as important as brushing, if not moreso, so don't skimp out on it ya dummies!

Is this sarcastic...? I honestly can't tell.

Flossing is extremely important. That's not a joke.

I've seen articles that agree with you and articles that claim flossing has hardly any benefits. I'm going to go with the second option because (A) humans did not floss in the ancestral environment and (B) I haven't flossed in about a decade and my teeth are pretty good.

Gum health deteriorates with age, so it's one of things that becomes more important as time goes on. Poor gum health has odd tie ins with cardiovascular health as well, so flossing is quite literally good preventative maintenance for your heart.

I've seen articles that agree with you and articles that claim flossing has hardly any benefits. I'm going to go with the second option because (A) humans did not floss in the ancestral environment and (B) I haven't flossed in about a decade and my teeth are pretty good.

(A) Why are you using a computer? Did they have that in our "ancestral environment"?

(B) I smoked for 50 years and didn't get lung cancer once!

(A) Why are you using a computer? Did they have that in our "ancestral environment"?

I would assume that healthy hunter-gatherers did not develop gum problems whatsoever.

(B) I smoked for 50 years and didn't get lung cancer once!

That would be a good analogy if gums always appear to be perfectly healthy until they suddenly explode.

I would assume that healthy hunter-gatherers did not develop gum problems whatsoever.

Hunter-gatherers and Romans and Early-Modern Germans didn't have an average lifespan of 75 years.

And in any case, one's assumptions about hunter-gatherers are an odd thing on which to base an oral-hygiene regimen.

But chacun a son tooth decay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom