TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirms what I suspected about the current differences between biomass and hydroelectricity, but ugh, btu. Absolutely disgusting.

TIL one of the first recorded student protests in the US happened at Harvard in 1766, and is dubbed the "Great Butter rebellion."

Also TIL schools serving crappy cafeteria food has been an issue since at least the 18th century. I suppose it probably goes back way longer than that.

I quote one of the protesting student's rallying cries: ""Behold, our butter stinketh!— give us therefore, butter that stinketh not."

facebook may bring out the best or worst in people?

TIL the Soviets made a crappy film adaptation of the Hobbit in 1985

TIL Pope John XX didn't exist. It's like the various Kings Charles of Sweden all over again!

TIL Pope John XX didn't exist. It's like the various Kings Charles of Sweden all over again!

Much more complicated.

It all started with Pope John XXI (Pedro Julião). He wanted to correct what in his time was believed to be an error in the counting of his predecessors John XV – XIX. Due to the error in over-correcting his number, some sources will list him as "John XXI (XX)" although he was only the nineteenth Pope by that name.

TIL I have a shocking inability to say 'father' in a normal fashion, without either unnecessarily stressing the 'fah' or wobbling on the 'ther'.

TIL that some of the Hapsburgs were so interbred that they had larger inbreeding coefficients than child of siblings have.

TIL that some of the Hapsburgs were so interbred that they had larger inbreeding coefficients than child of siblings have.

Surprising as it is to some inbreeding only becomes truly dangerous once it's done generation and generation again, if it's just one generation while still a concern you aren't likely to get three headed mutants as some people believe (likelier than two distantly related people, sure, but not that likely still).

That is (sadly) one of Carlos II's most famous traits. :(

TIL that devil has evil in it.

evil got a D in it's ability to gain knowledge.

TIL a Japanese new agey cult called "Happy Science" made an animated film where the protagonists, with the help of a Native American, go to hell and fight Hitler and Nietzsche using an angel mecha. And something about preachy new agey spiritual stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom