TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it also to avoid getting hit by people shooting at you?

I learned that police helicopters, while at a crime scene, fly in circles while news helicopters hover steadily. This is because police helicopters fly low and need momentum for a crash landing in the case of engine problems. News helicopters are higher so they don't worry about it.

It's also easier to maintain a camera shot from a stationary platform.

Is it also to avoid getting hit by people shooting at you?

Over my neighborhood this is probably a serious consideration. They have made themselves so despised here that they should probably use erratic zigzags instead of circles.

TIL the youngest general in US history, Galusha Pennypacker, was appointed general at age 20 during the civil war, and, if the Wikipedia article is true, the promotion wasn't undeserved.

TIL Starbucks has an online store you can order stuff from.

(as opposed to an online store that you cannot order anything from???)

Not to contradict Tim, but I don't know if that's something that happens outside of grand theft auto.

I've never actually seen anyone try it, but if I were in a LASD helicopter I would certainly be concerned about the possibility.

Then there's this guy.

But can they deliver my frappachino before it melts?

Or one you sell goods to.

Anyway, TIL Bahasa Melayu picked up the Arabic word for "world".

TIl there is only one University in whole Latvia which has student campus. Makes me a bit sad.

There's a craft store called Michaels, which has a fancy website that lists a ton of stuff they have in their stores, but you can't buy any of it online. I asked them why they don't even have prices listed, and they said it would be too hard to do that and that they prefer people to come into the store to ask questions.

Real Canadian Superstore (aka "Stupid Store") is like that too, which is most of the reason why I've stopped shopping at both places.

Target expanded into Canada and they're wondering why they're not doing as well as they thought. Well, it could have something to do with the fact that they don't sell anything online, so naturally I shop from the places that do.

Apparently we do a lot of it. I've been reading for years how we're really into using debit cards instead of cash.

In my case, I don't drive and have a hard time getting around. So it's easy to make out an order for what I need from London Drugs, Walmart, or phone in an order to the local Co-op and have my groceries delivered.

In the case of the aforementioned Michaels store, these places are huge. It's not unusual to spend a couple of hours there without half-trying, just because it's a large physical space with so many different things crammed into it. But it's extremely tiring, so when I found out they had a website, I figured, great - I'll just place an order for the things I want. But to my surprise, all they're willing to sell online is gift cards - that have to be used in the store. Therefore, when I want craft stuff I shop online at Mary Maxim or Herrschners, or sometimes eBay. Michaels is not getting my business ever again.

I remember when the Sandra Bullock movie The Net first came out. I thought the notion of ordering a pizza by using a computer was bizarre. But I've discovered that it's really handy.

TIL breast cancer research owes much to a woman named Frances Mallon. Their Henrietta Lacks, so to speak.

France did it before them. Not sure who was before France.

Apparently we do a lot of it. I've been reading for years how we're really into using debit cards instead of cash.

In my case, I don't drive and have a hard time getting around. So it's easy to make out an order for what I need from London Drugs, Walmart, or phone in an order to the local Co-op and have my groceries delivered.

In the case of the aforementioned Michaels store, these places are huge. It's not unusual to spend a couple of hours there without half-trying, just because it's a large physical space with so many different things crammed into it. But it's extremely tiring, so when I found out they had a website, I figured, great - I'll just place an order for the things I want. But to my surprise, all they're willing to sell online is gift cards - that have to be used in the store. Therefore, when I want craft stuff I shop online at Mary Maxim or Herrschners, or sometimes eBay. Michaels is not getting my business ever again.

I remember when the Sandra Bullock movie The Net first came out. I thought the notion of ordering a pizza by using a computer was bizarre. But I've discovered that it's really handy.
Though I can see them wanting you to come to the store in person, I'd think the risk of customers shopping elsewhere online because they couldn't buy it from the Michael's site would be too great.

Stores like that rely on customers doing a lot of impulse shopping. Even though you may go in there with a list of what you want, during the time it takes to find the stuff, you pass a lot of other stuff that's cute, pretty, intriguing, on sale, or an idea strikes you and you go for it. Impulse buys like that are less likely online because you can't physically touch the item and see what it looks like in person.

For the things I usually want from craft stores, most don't fall into that kind of purchase. I'm a sucker for a new shade of acrylic yarn, though.

That said... I've just come from eBay and purchasing a few more cat-themed ACEO cards for my art collection.

TIl there is only one University in whole Latvia which has student campus. Makes me a bit sad.

In the Netherlands 'campus' means simply the collection of university building but not any student housing (which is outside of the 'campus') per the English definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom