TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIL laagers are rasist.
So Wagons and Circles are racist.
#BanGeometry
Weren't wagon-circles also used by Romani?

C U L T U R A L . E R A S U R E .

Four-wheeled vehicles for practical everyday use are a relatively recent phenomenon with very interesting causes and consequences.
Wagon circles as a tactic were largely popularised in the Hussite Wars and that's likely where the term was coined as well. You may notice that the root of "coach" is a Hungarian word (/name/whatever), btw.

Edit:
It's not like i keep alluding to this stuff for nuthin.
Can't be a decent mra (or feminist) without knowing about bloody vehicles.

Kids these days. :mischief:

Last edited:
Heh-heh, the waggon circles were really bloody. :p

Iōannēs Tourkoktonos, he should be named.

TIL: The FAA currently has no regulations against throwing live turkeys out of airplanes.

TIL: The FAA currently has no regulations against throwing live turkeys out of airplanes.
Wouldn't it be kinda weird if they had? I mean you still have to obey the law which states you can't intentionally harm animals and stuff.

Apparently, there exists a messenger that's called "ICQ", which is a pretty intelligent way to write "I seek you", but misleading, as nobody seems to use that messenger, so not a lot of actual seeking going on I assume.

Apparently, there exists a messenger that's called "ICQ", which is a pretty intelligent way to write "I seek you", but misleading, as nobody seems to use that messenger, so not a lot of actual seeking going on I assume.

ICQ used to be huge. Then at some point it seemed everyone switched to MSN Messenger. Then along came the social networks and those things became far less popular.

mIRC was stupid. (I'm salty since I never got to be op)

Hm, how can you not be op in mIRC even in one channel, when it literally had tens of thousands of channels and hundreds of servers? :wow:
I was op at a few channels, without even trying.

Btw, mIRC was hugely more open/ non-governable than FB and the like. Exactly because it had no central authority, and a vast number of servers.

Hm, how can you not be op in mIRC even in one channel, when it literally had tens of thousands of channels and hundreds of servers? :wow:
Well I could just start my own damn channel but I wasn't op in the handful ones I used to hang out in.
I was op at a few channels, without even trying.
Good for the Kyriakos.
Btw, mIRC was hugely more open/ non-governable than FB and the like. Exactly because it had no central authority, and a vast number of servers.
Yeah but it was still stupid and I'm glad we moved on.

Old people stuff!

Wouldn't it be kinda weird if they had? I mean you still have to obey the law which states you can't intentionally harm animals and stuff.

Apparently it doesn't violate any laws though. I learned this from a news story about an event in Arkansas in which live turkeys were thrown out of an airplane. When people complained, the FAA and law enforcement investigated and found there was no actual violation of the law or FAA regulation, so the "perpetrators" aren't going to face any penalty.

Here's some quotes from the article I read:

The FAA spokesman explained to HuffPost that the agency has no power when it comes to animal welfare issues.

“Our regulations only cover ‘objects,’ and specify that they can be dropped from aircraft as long as they don’t pose a danger to people or property on the ground,” he said. “In this case, investigators determined that the pilot did not violate FAA safety regulations because the turkeys were dropped over a creek and a park, well away from crowds at the festival.”

He noted that local and state officials would be the ones to address any animal cruelty issues. Unfortunately for the turkeys, it doesn’t seem like that’s going to happen anytime soon.

Marion County Sheriff Clinton Evans told the Democrat-Gazette this week that Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Kenford Carter would not be pursuing any charges related to the turkey drop.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/faa-turkey-drop-yellville-arkansas_us_5a10bc35e4b0e97dffedcbdb

Sooo...yeah. Apparently it's completely a-okay for you to toss live turkeys out of a plane as long as doing so doesn't put human lives or property at risk.

I agree it's pretty messed up. I'd still say it's against the law it's just that the local and state officials can't be bothered to adress the issue, as noted in the article. And that's a shame.

Can turkeys fly when dropped out of a plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom