TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the American perspective, "on" campus housing is for first year students as a general rule. If you have a year of college credits, they cannot force you to stay on campus. Most universities would not be able to maintain the living quarters for 4 years of college, although they may do it for full scholarship athletes.

I'm aware of all that, but most of the time student housing is located close to or mixed within academic buildings to the point that you might as well say that it's "on campus."

TIL mucosa is also responsible for rhinitis and constipation, and that Mars makes cat food.

Is student housing totally separate from academic buildings?

Yes. The VU manages a couple of student housing nearby, though strictly speaking it isn't part of the campus. Also, students get additional channels for obtaining housing through a 'campuscontract' (being called because it sounds nice). It isn't unheard of that students obtain housing the same way as expats do, namely by renting privately owned housing, which is something I did for a time as well. Usually it far away from the academic buildings, though it often closer to the city centre, and everything is managable is bike.

Yes. The VU manages a couple of student housing nearby, though strictly speaking it isn't part of the campus. Also, students get additional channels for obtaining housing through a 'campuscontract' (being called because it sounds nice). It isn't unheard of that students obtain housing the same way as expats do, namely by renting privately owned housing, which is something I did for a time as well. Usually it far away from the academic buildings, though it often closer to the city centre, and everything is managable is bike.

Would the difference be that those universities do not demand that first year students stay in housing under their direct control?

Dimensional lumber (2x4, 2x6, etc) is named by the size to which it is originally cut. It then shrinks while drying to its final size.

Would the difference be that those universities do not demand that first year students stay in housing under their direct control?

There are no restrictions. Plenty of Dutch students still live with their parents when they embark on their freshman year.

TIL the genetic code predicted GTA V even before multicellular life existed.

TIL...
that New Zealand became the first nation in the world to grant universal, male and female adult suffrage. 1893. Who knew!

Is it really universal if there is an age limiter? Don't get me wrong, I don't think young people should get to vote, and in fact think the voting age should be raised (25 sounds about right) a bit, but I've never thought "universal" was really a good way to describe it when it clearly isn't.

Well, given how conservative older people tend to be, we should have a voting ceiling as well. 45 or so should do it. :)

Well, no, but I guessed you're in your late 40s. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom