TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIL that you're more likely to die in a vending machine accident then win the lottery.

Soros home 15 minutes away from clintons in chappaqua

I knew before that booze was illegal in Iran. TIL that a bottle of Johnny Walker is cheaper in Tehran than London 'cos of the amount of duty we pay.

I knew before that booze was illegal in Iran. TIL that a bottle of Johnny Walker is cheaper in Tehran than London 'cos of the amount of duty we pay.
750ml of JW red: $22.99

Is there a brand of Scotch that's been considered top tier for over 100 years?
Chivas Regal has been a premium blended scotch for a while, and has been made since 1801. I cannot say for certain how it was considered 100 years ago.

Yeah but why the sad face, JW red is horrible
Oh, it's tramp piss, I don't disagree. It's more a dismal reminder of the UK's weird Victorian attachment to vice taxes, one thing which the Scots, true pioneers of aggressively disapproving of other people's fun, cannot credibly blame on Westminster.

TIL the Mormons had a hell of a time getting established in the USA.
In 1838 the Missouri Governor issued an extermination order! :eek:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1838_Mormon_War

Missouri Executive Order 44
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Lilburn Boggs, who issued Missouri Executive Order 44

Missouri Executive Order 44, also known as the Extermination Order,[1][2] was an executive order issued on October 27, 1838, by the Governor of Missouri, Lilburn Boggs. The order was issued in the aftermath of the Battle of Crooked River, a clash between Latter-day Saints and a unit of the Missouri State Militia in northern Ray County, Missouri, during the 1838 Mormon War. Claiming that Latter-day Saints had committed open and avowed defiance of the law and had made war upon the people of Missouri, Governor Boggs directed that "the Mormons must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the State if necessary for the public peace—their outrages are beyond all description".[2] The militia and other state authorities—General John B. Clark, among them—used the executive order to violently expel the Mormons from their lands in the state following their capitulation, which in turn led to their subsequent migration to Nauvoo, Illinois. The order was supported by most northwest Missouri citizens but was questioned or denounced by others. However, no determination of the order's legality was ever made. On June 25, 1976, Governor Christopher S. Bond issued an executive order rescinding the Extermination Order, recognizing its legal invalidity and formally apologizing on behalf of the State of Missouri for the suffering it had caused the Latter-day Saints.[3]

The Mormons fled to Illinois, but it went badly there too, so they fled to Utah.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Nauvoo,_Illinois#The_"Mormon_War_in_Illinois"_and_the_Mormon_Exodus

Where it went badly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_War

Yes, Mormons weren't considered Christians. They were heretics. Some say they still are. There are just too many of them to actually exterminate them. One of the interesting points that converted regular Christians was that the book or Mormon accounted for the existence of Native Americans which the Bible didn't.

TIL that you're more likely to die in a vending machine accident then win the lottery.

I am concerned at the implication of rarity, because I have tangentially known three of these people.

I was on a bowling league with a guy who won on a "big spin" scratcher, which isn't like a billion dollar lotto but was still pretty impressive. He was a cop, and used the windfall to buy an off road type vehicle and stock it with canned gas, survival gear, bottled water, and rations. They kept it garaged and ready to bug out "when the liberal rebellion destroyed civilization." I have no idea what became of him, or his Jeep Cherokee.

When I was selling cars I took this couple for a test drive in a very nice luxury sedan, gold in color. While we were out we talked about how perfect the color was, since they lived on a dirt road in the semi-rural edge of town area. Unfortunately we had the exact same car, in black, in the showroom, and when we got back to the store to make the deal she just loved it. Her husband, with my support, pointed out that we kept it in the showroom so we wouldn't have to wash it three times a day, but she was immovable. Less than a year later they were back, paying cash for a conversion van to go camping in, having won a seven figure jackpot. They also payed to pave their street.

When I was in the Navy, stationed in San Diego, a guy who lived in a barracks not far from mine was in a highly drunken state and apparently believed the vending machine had stolen his money. The coin return was found to have a bunch of pennies in it, so it's very likely that the offense on the machine's part was imagined, but the guy was last seen trying to convince the machine to give up a soda by tipping it and allowing it to slam back on its feet. When his drunken roommates came back looking for him they found him under the face down machine and he had suffocated. Within a surprisingly short period of time vending machines on military bases were in alcoves that featured a heavy chain web anchored to top bottom and sides so the machines couldn't be tipped forward. People believe those were developed for theft prevention, and most likely their use spread outside the military for that reason, but the military adopted them because training a replacement is expensive, even if you are replacing a drunken idiot.

Last edited:
Born again!!!!

TIL the Mormons had a hell of a time getting established in the USA.
In 1838 the Missouri Governor issued an extermination order! :eek:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1838_Mormon_War

The Mormons fled to Illinois, but it went badly there too, so they fled to Utah.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Nauvoo,_Illinois#The_"Mormon_War_in_Illinois"_and_the_Mormon_Exodus

Where it went badly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_War
And the Mormons returned the favor by executing most of my family when they were on their way to California. Makes me wonder if I'm the first person in my direct lineage to complete a permanent relocation to California. I know many members of my family have visited the state but to my knowledge I'm the first to successfully relocate since the massacre that nearly wiped us out.

I descended from one of the Fancher children that the Mormons spared and attempted to raise as Mormons before the government intervened. To this day the Church refuses to allow descendants to place a memorial cross on the killing fields. There is a stone monument but the Mormons specifically forbid putting up a cross which the family has asked for for about a century. They also destroyed the first monument (which had a cross) on the site in the 1850's-1860's.

I hold no ill will towards Mormons over this though I have a Mormon coworker who loves to talk about all the persecutions his forebears went through which I find funny.
Romney was declared not to be a Christian when he was running for the nomination. :satan: After he won it, Christians embraced him as one of their own :hug:
Same thing with Trump.

TIL Mormons didn't just practice polygamy, but massacred people too. Never knew that.
Read their scripture; they also have some very strange beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom