TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of government and administration and all that it's considered two different cities. In terms of geographic area it is essentially one city.

It's not terribly uncommon for places in the US to be named after states. For example there is a New York, Texas and a Texas, New York. Even New York, New York is confusing enough.

The difference is that all of New York City resides in the state of New York. (Correct me if I'm wrong). The confusion here is that we have a city named after a state that's in another state. So it'd be like you crossing a bridge from NYC, NY to New Jersey, and seeing a sign that says: "Welcome to New York City, New Jersey"

TIL: The reason flammable and inflammable mean the same thing is that "inflammable" came first, but the people who made warning labels thought their consumers might think "inflammable" meant fireproof, and shortened the word.
Don't they have the Simpsons in Australia?
As far as Kansas City goes, it seems it would be a lot easier to administer the city if it were all in one state. But I assume neither state wants to give up any land or whatever
You don't want another war, do you?

We have a city split between two states in Australia: Albury-Wodonga. It is split between New South Wales, my home state, and Victoria. The difference in state governments is literally visible to the naked eye; upon crossing the bridge into Victoria, the bridge actually becomes cleaner, and is made of superior construction materials at the halfway point. Wodonga, the southern half, also smells better, in spite of the fact that it is next to the same foul-smelling river as Albury on the northern side. Albury also contains the single most violent bar in all of NSW, the Bended Elbow, which reports more assaults in a single weekend than every bar in Wodonga combined... Annually.

The city is increasing in population, yet the population of Albury is decreasing, as residents almost literally flee the NSW Govt. and cross the border to the far superior Victorian side.

I can top that. Officially the megalopolis I live in is split between a homonymous city and province; the province part is further subdivided into several counties, some of which have millions of inhabitants, which gives its local eternal rulers (nicknamed ‘the barons’, lasting decades on average) enormous political power.

So it is about 20 executive units and three sets of legislation applying across most parts of this humungous civitas.

I can top that. Officially the megalopolis I live in is split between a homonymous city and province; the province part is further subdivided into several counties, some of which have millions of inhabitants, which gives its local eternal rulers (nicknamed ‘the barons’, lasting decades on average) enormous political power.
London or Tokyo?

Nah, worse. Buenos Aires city/province/area/something.

Germany also has at least one instance of such a split (probably more), but it's a tad bit older.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neu-Ulm Neu-Ulm apparently got once upon a time separated from Ulm, because parts of the area changed from one lord to another one, and there's a river in the middle between them.

Today I learned that there's a Kansas City...in Missouri. There's also another Kansas City that's actually in Kansas. I want to know whose idea this was.
There are actually many cities that have the same name as another state
The most obvious being the city name of Washington appears in 26 different states.
The second most numerous is a bit more surprising.
The are many that appear in 4 different state.

Yes, I am a data rat.

CITY STATE
Wyoming Illinois
Wyoming Iowa
Wyoming Michigan
Wyoming Minnesota
Wyoming New York
Wyoming Pennsylvania
Wyoming Rhode Island
Wyoming West Virginia

The difference is that all of New York City resides in the state of New York. (Correct me if I'm wrong). The confusion here is that we have a city named after a state that's in another state. So it'd be like you crossing a bridge from NYC, NY to New Jersey, and seeing a sign that says: "Welcome to New York City, New Jersey"

You aren't wrong, but what you're pointing out is that the only thing strange about Kansas City is the naming. Newark, New Jersey, is just as effectively "the same city" as New York, New York as the two Kansas Cities are the same city. They just opted not to name it New York, New Jersey outright. Then there is the 'add a direction' option. For example East St Louis is in Illinois.

These situations are common in states where the borders were laid down based on rivers, because the major cities in those states are of course on the rivers and therefore right on the border. In the western US most cities are not on the border since the border is just an arbitrary line draw across the landscape.

Newark, New Jersey, is just as effectively "the same city" as New York, New York as the two Kansas Cities are the same city.

Well, I'm not sure about the history of the Kansas Cities, but Newark was not named Newark because they wanted something that sounded like New York but wasn't quite actually New York. It was originally a totally separate town, and it's unclear whether it was named after a town in England called Newark or whether it was a direct reference to "New Ark of the Covenant" because the people who founded it were religious nutjobs. At any rate in 1666 (When Newark NJ was founded) New York City was confined to a tiny bit of southern Manhattan, they didn't start just across the river from each other or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom