TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lobster Mac'n'cheese?

Is this some sort of fusion cuisine?

PET has become biodegradable, or, more accurately, somebody's developed a way to degrade it in a short while rather than a couple centuries. So there's still hope that scientific progress can lead to good things.

Hang in there, lobsters!
No I wouldn't really call it a fusion cuisine. It's just a fancier version of a cheap dish and it strikes me as very much a white person sort of dish if that makes sense. Like it can't be fusion because it's not fusing different styles of cooking or at least none that I'm aware of.

Apparently there are some bacteria scientists have found and are breeding that degrade various forms of plastic. That's cool and all but it's going to suck when there are sufficiently advanced microbes floating around rotting all the things we want to be permanent.

Isn't lobster meat supposed to be eaten not much time after the lobster was killed? (or was it some other sea creature). In that case, how does lobster mac work? (not that mcdonalds would care about food poisoning) :)

Isn't lobster meat supposed to be eaten not much time after the lobster was killed? (or was it some other sea creature). In that case, how does lobster mac work? (not that mcdonalds would care about food poisoning) :)

It's pre-cooked before being added to the mac and cheese mix.

I don't think McDonald's sells this but as @Cutlass said, it's usually processed food when it shows up in mac n' cheese.

And as long as you freeze the lobster properly, it will hold decently. It's much, much better fresh and especially after the lobster has recently molted but those are hard to get if you don't live near a fishery. Frozen lobster is just fine and I don't really see live lobsters for sail anymore at grocery stores. They used to carry them in tanks in seafood sections of grocers when I was growing up but I haven't seen one like that in a while.

TIL that the Irish GDP grew by a third in 2015 because of Apple (don't really get why, though. Seems to have been more complicated than just moving to a tax haven. Can anyone explain in layman's terms?).
Yeah it looks like the GDP was affected by accounting changes and the way Apple and other foreign owned companies did their accounting under Irish law. When that changed in 2016, the GDP fell. It looks to me like companies just changed how they booked various assets and that changed the computations. Ireland got a boost in GNP because apple moved assets there on its books.

In 2016 official CSO figures indicated that the economic recovery had led to 26.3% growth in GDP in 2015 and 18.7% growth in GNP.[147] The figures were widely ridiculed including by Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman who labelled them "leprechaun economics".[154] The official explanation was that the closure of the "double Irish" scheme at end 2014 (phased out by 2020), led some multinationals to relocate "intangible assets" to Ireland.[155] It was subsequently shown in 2018 that it was due to Apple's January 2015 restructuring of their "double Irish" structure, Apple Sales International ("ASI").[156] While the markets had always taken Irish economic statistics with a degree of caution (given the increasing gap between Irish GNI and Irish GDP/GNP),[157][26] "leprechaun economics" drew attention to the level of distortion US "multinational tax schemes" (like "double Irish") where having on Ireland's statistics. For example, on a "per capita" basis, Ireland is one of the most leveraged economies in the OECD, while on a "% of GDP" basis, it is rapidly de-leveraging.[29][43]

In response to this, the Central Bank of Ireland created a special steering group, the result of which was a new metric, "Modified gross national income" or "Irish GNI*", for Irish economic analysis.[30]For 2016, Irish GNI* would be 30% below Irish GDP, while Irish Government Net Debt/GNI* would be 106% (vs. Irish Net Debt/GDP of 73%).[31][32] Commentators who had been tracking the widening gap between Irish GNI and Irish GDP/GNP since the growth of the "double Irish" in the mid-2000s (see tables),[157] and the even stronger effect of the "capital allowances for intangible assets" scheme on distorting GNI/GNP/GDP,[33] noted that GNI* still materially over-stated the true Irish economy.[33][158] By 2017, a number of Irish financial commentators bemoaned the inaccuracy of Irish economic GDP/GNP statistics.[34][159]

All Japanese to me, sorry.

All Japanese to me, sorry.
Ireland calculated it GDP through a formula that included the change in foreign assets held in Ireland by non Irish companies. When Apple, for tax reasons moved a huge amount of its non US assets into its Irish accounts, the GDP increased. When they moved them back out later because of changes in apple's tax strategy, the Irish GDP dropped.

I don't think McDonald's sells this but as @Cutlass said, it's usually processed food when it shows up in mac n' cheese.

And as long as you freeze the lobster properly, it will hold decently. It's much, much better fresh and especially after the lobster has recently molted but those are hard to get if you don't live near a fishery. Frozen lobster is just fine and I don't really see live lobsters for sail anymore at grocery stores. They used to carry them in tanks in seafood sections of grocers when I was growing up but I haven't seen one like that in a while.

You can get live lobster and crab at many places around here. May be the difference between the east coast and the west.

khashoggi were burned with a custom oven that the heat can reach 1000c, strong enough to destroys dna traces.

I hear they're compensating the family with some nice houses and generous monthly stipends.

I hear they're compensating the family with some nice houses and generous monthly stipends.

You mean khashoggi's family? I thought he is single and suppose to married a Turkish woman, I see, I will look into it, thank you

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...bd41a2ce4d5_story.html?utm_term=.0b7e436a3636

The children of slain Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi have received million-dollar houses in the kingdom and monthly five-figure payments as compensation for the killing of their father, according to current and former Saudi officials as well as people close to the family.

Khashoggi’s two sons and two daughters may also receive much larger payouts — possibly tens of millions of dollars apiece — as part of “blood money” negotiations that are expected to ensue when the trials of Khashoggi’s accused killers are completed in the coming months, according to the officials and others who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive talks.

TIL Allison Mack, of Smallville, is married to Nicki Clyne, of Battlestar Galactica. Mack pleaded guilty to being a Grade-A weirdo in federal court today, but I'm kind of more interested in the fact that she married Callie.

TIL Allison Mack, of Smallville, is married to Nicki Clyne, of Battlestar Galactica. Mack pleaded guilty to being a Grade-A weirdo in federal court today, but I'm kind of more interested in the fact that she married Callie.
Women do get married to other women. It's not that weird really. Been there myself. :)

Or is your interest more in the actual woman that she married?

I dont' think that the weirdness Dr. Spengler refers to is being married to another woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom