1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TIL: Today I Learned

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, May 24, 2013.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I'd rather not imagine that actually.

Arakhor and Synsensa like this.
  2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles uolǝɯɹǝʇɐʍ

And then accidentally leaving the luxury ice on the counter so it all melts!

3. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

If you're rich enough to buy "luxury" ice cubes, you can probably afford to do it more than once.

The_J likes this.
  4. aimeeandbeatles

The_J and Kaitzilla like this.
  5. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

There are more cameras in the world than people.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  6. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Are smartphones included in that count?

7. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Since I am in this situation and you're not, and I live in Canada and you don't, how about you do me the courtesy of not berating me for being angry about this? :huh:

Yes, I can go to the hospital and not have to worry about paying for it. But prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs are a whole other thing. I'm covered for a lot of prescription drugs, but not the one I was told would be ideal. I am covered for the one which I can't tolerate. There are multiple hoops I could try to jump through to get coverage, and I might try that if my situation worsens to the point that I really can't do without it. But that would require cooperation between my doctor, a social worker, and my caseworker, all being able to convince the bean counters that it's really not feasible to require 6 months of data for a drug I can't tolerate for even 6 hours.

Health care is a provincial responsibility, and the coverage varies wildly from province to province. There are things I'm covered for that Synsensa isn't, and vice-versa. We live in different provinces. Add in the rules where Aimee and warpus live, and you've got four provinces with different rules. This sometimes results in people actually dying because the only alternative is moving... and you don't get health coverage in a new province until you've lived there a minimum amount of time (normally at least 6 months). By that time you would most likely be dead.

dusters likes this.
  8. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

$3.75US for 200 X 5mg tablets (not time release).
    Would Sinaloa, or another cartel be cheaper for you? Competition for the ADHD dollar could be to your benefit. :)

9. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

I'm not berating you or syn (you are the victims) here, I'm questioning your system where apparently, cost and statistics trumps individual outcomes. In the US, if a patient does not respond to formulary (insurance approved) treatments, non formulary treatments can usually be approved in a matter of 1-2 weeks at most.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  10. Synsensa

Synsensa Retired Moderator

Approval is easy. Affording it is not. Pharmacare, and treatment coverage, is fairly meh in Canada. There has been some flirting with national pharmacare but nothing promising. As-is, any drug coverage and treatment coverage is at the province's discretion. Usually, many medications and treatments are only covered under specific circumstances, if they're covered at all.

Edit: Oh right, you asked about eye pain. I had three eye infections this summer. I did have a cluster headache two years ago that required ER intervention (magnesium IV bayyyyybeeeee).

11. aimeeandbeatles

It's also fairly disparate across the provinces. Theres been calls for a national pharmacare program but I'm not sure what's going on with that.

12. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

The US system, where private profits in the medical industry trump individual outcomes, is vastly superior

13. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I will remind you of what you said:

It looks to me like you're calling me ignorant for trashing my health care system. If that's the case, you have no idea what you're talking about and no business criticizing. I have every right to be angry about this.

We're talking about a country where a woman had to go to the Human Rights Commission and file a discrimination complaint against the government because they wouldn't cover her for a particular drug that was covered for senior citizens but not for younger people. The excuse was that that particular disease normally afflicted seniors but not people in their 40s, so she was free to apply for coverage after she was 65. Of course she would have been long-dead by then.

I'm glad to say that she won her case. This was a clear case of a violation of her Charter rights on the basis of age.

14. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

lol u said trump

15. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

"Cuttin off wack kids, pullin their trump cards
    I thump hard, and make em say that I'm God"
    -Guru, Mass Appeal

16. dusters

dusters Fairy

Today IL that dreaming about a girl who makes a lot of dolls could potentially mean this-

"Seeing a lot of dolls around, maybe in the doll section of a toy store or being inside a house of someone with an extensive doll collection, means you would soon witness something extraordinary in reality.

This massive event would resound all over the world or at the very least affect a lot of people in your community.

This could either be a positive or negative happening or circumstance, so perhaps your subconscious showed you this dream symbol to make you mentally prepared for what is about to come."

17. MaryKB

MaryKB Vice Princess Supporter

TIL that if you buy a can of buttercream frosting and put it in your fridge, you get something like super soft and delicious icecream ... that is fluffier, holds its shape, doesn't melt, and doesn't give you a headache.

Yes, I'm eating chilled buttercream frosting out of a can. Try it!

18. Synsensa

Synsensa Retired Moderator

Ewwwwwww.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  19. MaryKB

MaryKB Vice Princess Supporter

What? :p

It's delicious!

20. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Sounds like a horoscope: Absolutely meaningless.
    It says in short form: Some good or bad global event will happen in the future.
    No faeces, really? Must take a really advanced medium to predict this.