1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TIL: Today I Learned

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, May 24, 2013.

1. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Today I learned some gas stations in the US play video ads while you're pumping gas.

Cursed information.

Lexicus likes this.
  2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Shhh, don't tell Canadian gas stations.

Lexicus likes this.
  3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

They SUCK

They are so loud and obnoxious and startling and annoying. Thankfully, some of the stations permanently mute them or otherwise highlight the mute button for customers to smash.

4. dusters

dusters Fairy

Ok, the full was this:

There was a Vietnamese girl who was autistic. She only knew how to make dolls. Her elders provided materials for dolls, but that was expensive so family was almost starving. She really only wanted to make dolls in life. She was ok with selling some of them.

In the end this girl, who was 19, but looked like 12, was forced by family to work as a stripper to provide at least some money. She despised stripping and her moves were mechanical, like doll herself. But she realised she needed money for making more dolls.

I was visiting this weird family and found situation of the girl rather dire.

That was the full dream. You can try interpreting it in your own way.

Hygro likes this.
  5. aimeeandbeatles

You've been watching too many Lifetime Movies?

Hygro likes this.
  6. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

This reminds me of a weekly segment Jay Leno used to do on The Tonight Show. People would drive up to a gas pump and when they got out of their vehicle, a man on a video screen would start talking to them. This was before such things were common, and at first the people thought it was a little weird. But if they ignored it, the man started getting personal, and making comments, asking personal questions... and the customers realized that it was a real person, in real time, who could see and hear them.

Some of the people actually walked around the screen, trying to figure out just where the man could be hiding. Sometimes they played along and sometimes they got mad. It was usually at least somewhat amusing (I preferred the Monday night headlines segment).

7. dusters

dusters Fairy

Doubt that. I read about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Jar

Which made me think how much better is it nowadays really. Can career and householding be jointed now without major problems? Also I like sewing myself and few days ago visited a crafts shop which had great dolls.

8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Yes, an ophthalmologist specializes in diseases of the eye and with extra training can do surgery. Nowadays, most ophthalmologists have staff that do the refraction testing to prescribe glasses. Optometrists just do glasses. For those of you over 40, you should go to an ophthalmologist at least once to have your eye pressure checked.

More and more now have them. As retail payment methods change, gas stations in the US have to have new pumps installed; most of those new pumps have video screens.

9. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

You must have a sweet tooth, I can't eat cakes with buttercream on, too sickly.

10. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

one of the best athletes in the world throws like a girl

oh well, thats okay, I'd break a bone or worse trying a back flip

11. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Not much into dream reading here, but: the basic concept is that in dreams you process what you experienced during the days (somewhat). Interpreting a dream MUST therefore be about the past and CANNOT be about the future ;).

12. Samson

Samson Deity

So buttercream frosting is basically icing sugar and butter? I cannot imagine eating it on its own, but if you add brandy (and possibly almond flour) you get brandy butter, which is a perfect accouplement to christmas pudding and mince pies. If you like it on its own, you really should try it with brandy. You can pretty much add as much as you like until it will no longer mix (I use a food processor), and then add a little more sugar and it will mix.

Estebonrober likes this.
  13. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Oh your poor liver.

14. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I'm pretty sure my phase in childhood of eating buttercream frosting out of the container is almost singlehandedly responsible for the fact that I now have "borderline high" cholesterol

15. MaryKB

MaryKB Vice Princess Supporter

Well my cholesterol is absolutely perfect, so I'm not worried! :)

16. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Wild West lawman Wyatt Earp lived out his final days in Los Angeles. John Wayne met him and was so impressed he patterned his speech and way of walking after Earp. :cowboy:

hobbsyoyo, The_J and Birdjaguar like this.
  17. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

On its own? That sounds positively revolting! I like sweet things more than most people (probably), but it can't just be pure sweetness for me.

18. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Do you not eat ice cream?

19. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Very rarely, mostly because my teeth don't react well to very cold things. I'd hazard a guess that British ice cream is not nearly as sweet as US ice cream though.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  20. aimeeandbeatles

I think most US ice cream is actually "frozen dessert" now.