TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
An optometrist is a "doctor" of optometry. An ophthalmologist on the other hand is a medical doctor specializing in the eye and is able to perform surgery on the eye.

Both can prescribe glasses for you.
Yes, an ophthalmologist specializes in diseases of the eye and with extra training can do surgery. Nowadays, most ophthalmologists have staff that do the refraction testing to prescribe glasses. Optometrists just do glasses. For those of you over 40, you should go to an ophthalmologist at least once to have your eye pressure checked.

Today I learned some gas stations in the US play video ads while you're pumping gas. Cursed information.
More and more now have them. As retail payment methods change, gas stations in the US have to have new pumps installed; most of those new pumps have video screens.

Ok, the full was this:

There was a Vietnamese girl who was autistic. She only knew how to make dolls. Her elders provided materials for dolls, but that was expensive so family was almost starving. She really only wanted to make dolls in life. She was ok with selling some of them.

In the end this girl, who was 19, but looked like 12, was forced by family to work as a stripper to provide at least some money. She despised stripping and her moves were mechanical, like doll herself. But she realised she needed money for making more dolls.

I was visiting this weird family and found situation of the girl rather dire.

That was the full dream. You can try interpreting it in your own way.

Not much into dream reading here, but: the basic concept is that in dreams you process what you experienced during the days (somewhat). Interpreting a dream MUST therefore be about the past and CANNOT be about the future ;).

TIL that if you buy a can of buttercream frosting and put it in your fridge, you get something like super soft and delicious icecream ... that is fluffier, holds its shape, doesn't melt, and doesn't give you a headache.

Yes, I'm eating chilled buttercream frosting out of a can. Try it!
So buttercream frosting is basically icing sugar and butter? I cannot imagine eating it on its own, but if you add brandy (and possibly almond flour) you get brandy butter, which is a perfect accouplement to christmas pudding and mince pies. If you like it on its own, you really should try it with brandy. You can pretty much add as much as you like until it will no longer mix (I use a food processor), and then add a little more sugar and it will mix.

TIL that if you buy a can of buttercream frosting and put it in your fridge, you get something like super soft and delicious icecream ... that is fluffier, holds its shape, doesn't melt, and doesn't give you a headache.

Oh your poor liver.

I'm pretty sure my phase in childhood of eating buttercream frosting out of the container is almost singlehandedly responsible for the fact that I now have "borderline high" cholesterol

Well my cholesterol is absolutely perfect, so I'm not worried! :)

On its own? That sounds positively revolting! I like sweet things more than most people (probably), but it can't just be pure sweetness for me.

On its own? That sounds positively revolting! I like sweet things more than most people (probably), but it can't just be pure sweetness for me.
Do you not eat ice cream?

Very rarely, mostly because my teeth don't react well to very cold things. I'd hazard a guess that British ice cream is not nearly as sweet as US ice cream though.

I'd hazard a guess that British ice cream is not nearly as sweet as US ice cream though.

I think most US ice cream is actually "frozen dessert" now.

Very rarely, mostly because my teeth don't react well to very cold things. I'd hazard a guess that British ice cream is not nearly as sweet as US ice cream though.
A couple of scoops in hot chocolate should fix that!

Well, the hot chocolate would certainly make it easier to eat. I'm not sure my teeth would thank me though.

There was an article on New Scientist several years ago on precisely that. USians tend to have a nastily sweeter tooth, probably because of that corn syrup thing.

TIL there are no contemporary accounts of the Huns fighting as mounted archers - let alone in the nomadic mounted archery style. The only contemporary reference we have to Huns using projectile weapons while mounted refers to a javelin. Beyond that, we only have some bows in 'Hunnic' graves (burying bows in furnish inhumations was common throughout the 'Dark Ages' in northern Europe and nobody argues that the Anglo-Saxons fought as mounted archers!) and a mention the Emperor had a prophetic dream that features a Hunnic bow being broken.
While it is reasonable to assume the Huns had some experience with mounted archery out on the Ukrainian and Hungarian plains, I had no idea just how spotty the evidence actually was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom