TOR hacked by the FBI?

US Senators have complete immunity from prosecution for anything said on the floor. Wyden could read the text of any NSA documentation he chooses and he'd be protected by law.

I'm not sure why he hasn't done that.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/09/senator-ron-wyden-mark-udall-nsa
Guardian said:
A host of officials, including the NSA director, General Keith Alexander, have said that when they come across American data in so-called "702" databases, they purge it – unless it contains information about ongoing threats to national security, criminal activity or espionage.
I still don't understand how this isn't a clear breach of the 4th amendment.

What we really need more than ever is a constitutional lawyer at the helm of the executive branch so that these sorts of abuses can't happen. :crazyeye:

Well, this is nothing new, companies/institutions I've worked for have never allowed US cloud-storage, because of lax privacy laws in America.

I suppose what may be new is that this is now very much in the public eye, so whereas before that opinion may have been held by people who's job it was to ensure data security, now everyone knows about it and will be thinging about it when choosing the next facebook / hotmail / geocities or whatever. So it is affecting many more companies (or affecting them more I guess).

US Senators have complete immunity from prosecution for anything said on the floor. Wyden could read the text of any NSA documentation he chooses and he'd be protected by law.

I'm not sure why he hasn't done that.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/09/senator-ron-wyden-mark-udall-nsa

I still don't understand how this isn't a clear breach of the 4th amendment.

What we really need more than ever is a constitutional lawyer at the helm of the executive branch so that these sorts of abuses can't happen. :crazyeye:

Are you talking about Speech or Debate Clause?
The Speech or Debate Clause is a clause in the United States Constitution (Article I, Section 6, Clause 1) . The clause states that members of both Houses of Congress
...shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony, and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their attendance at the Session of their Respective Houses, and in going to and from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.

Yes:
Glenn Greenwald said:
Well, there was a—there was an article in Foreign Policy magazine over the weekend the Yale Law professor, Bruce Ackerman, that makes the same point. Remember, United States senators have full constitutional immunity against prosecution for anything that they say on the floor of the Senate. And Daniel Ellsberg, when he was trying to get people to read the Pentagon Papers, actually wanted to get Mike Gravel and other senators to go to the floor of the Senate and read the Pentagon Papers, because they would have been immune from prosecution.

You know, as much as I like the fact that Ron Wyden and Mark Udall have been sounding the alarms for a couple of years, winking and hinting at Americans that they would be shocked to learn all the things that the Obama administration is doing in secret, they didn’t have the courage to tell us what those things were that they thought we should know. It took Mr. Snowden to come forward, who doesn’t have immunity, and tell us. And interestingly, the very first interview I ever did on ABC about this case, I was followed by Senator Udall, and they asked Senator Udall about Edward Snowden. And the first thing he said was, "I deplore his leaks." So, you know, Mark Udall didn’t have the courage to do what Edward Snowden did. He tried to get the country to know there was something going on that we should know but didn’t come forward and say, even though he had this protection.

But I think Senator Gravel and Bruce Ackerman are absolutely right: There are all sorts of ways that if Ron Wyden and Mark Udall and others really believe, as they’re saying, that there are serious abuses going on in the NSA, they could let us know, and could do so with total protection, not—unlike me, who’s reporting it and being threatened with imprisonment, or Mr. Snowden, who’s been charged for letting us know. They could actually exercise their constitutional prerogatives as a senator and tell us what they think that we ought to know. And they ought to do a lot more of that.

Source: http://www.democracynow.org/2013/8/5/greenwald_is_us_exaggerating_threat_to

Ackerman @ ForeignPolicy said:
In the United States, congressional freedom of speech was last put to the test during the Pentagon Papers affair at the time of the Vietnam War. Invoking the "speech or debate clause," Daniel Ellsberg -- with whom Snowden has been compared -- approached members of Congress and tried to persuade them to submit the Pentagon Papers into the Congressional Record. Only after they refused did he leak them to the New York Times and Washington Post. When Richard Nixon's administration obtained injunctions in the lower courts, Ellsberg returned to Congress with more success. With the decision still pending before the Supreme Court, Sen. Mike Gravel (D-Alaska) placed 4,000 pages of the Pentagon Papers into the record at a committee hearing. Even if the court had failed to protect the newspapers, Gravel's action ensured that the truth would come out. A year later, the Supreme Court unanimously affirmed Gravel's right to publish documents labeled "Top-Secret: Sensitive" under the speech or debate clause.

In exercising his privilege, Gravel refused to publish parts of the Pentagon Papers that still endangered national security. If future congressmen act irresponsibly, the House or Senate has the authority to sanction them, since the Constitution only protects against reprisals in "any other place." At the extreme, the Constitution authorizes the expulsion of lawmakers by a two-thirds majority -- though this hasn't happened, except in two House cases involving bribery and corruption, since the Civil War.

Source:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/08/1/breach_or_debate_congress_snowden_prism

there is this personal anectode ı have previously had , possibly in CFC . Bought a PC in 2004 or so . No connection at home , ı still go to webcafes , first carrying this lovely 3.5" floppy around . Anyhow , ı had a re-formatting in 2007 or so and for that you need carrying your PC to a webcafe for required connections , got a virus programme installed , it was a right coming with the purchase in 2004 . Yeah , scanning everything , simply out of curiosity , ı plugged in the floppy after doing likewise for 5 others . And it stopped scanning , immediately . Real good stuff are not cleared for anti-virus companies to clear at least half a decade , even if my "crash" could also be related to faulty disc space .

there is this personal anectode ı have previously had , possibly in CFC . Bought a PC in 2004 or so . No connection at home , ı still go to webcafes , first carrying this lovely 3.5" floppy around . Anyhow , ı had a re-formatting in 2007 or so and for that you need carrying your PC to a webcafe for required connections , got a virus programme installed , it was a right coming with the purchase in 2004 . Yeah , scanning everything , simply out of curiosity , ı plugged in the floppy after doing likewise for 5 others . And it stopped scanning , immediately . Real good stuff are not cleared for anti-virus companies to clear at least half a decade , even if my "crash" could also be related to faulty disc space .

There's no actual data to support this.

There's no actual data to support this.

as it stands ı actually have an inkling of being followed , before anything about tinfoils and the heads .

Whenever and wherever I *connect* I abandon hope that I can ever be anonymous because it is quite imposible, nonetheless I think that the whole matter is exaggerated - why ? -> I don't know :( but probably someone is advertising something - just saying :D

Top Bottom