The other question is what are the non-Republicans gonna do about it?
As Bird said, what can they? This has been among the most distressing developments in this whole sordid mess, if not the most. They are literally making laws to facilitate Trump's getting away with having broken laws!

Maybe it violates some kind of separation of powers in Georgia's state constitution and can be challenged on those grounds. :dunno:

Last edited:
My way of explaining it is along those lines: to think the conditions of his selling his soul to the devil included "and I'll never be held to account for any of my misdeeds; everyone around me will twist themselves in knots to get me off, but I'll skate."

Last edited:
I dunno but I'm just a guy. I vote for Democratic officials in part because they're supposed to have answers to these kinds of questions.
I feel like they do, in that the answer is "don't allow stuff like this", but if the voters elect a Republican legislature & a Republican Governor, I'm not sure what the minority party in a state can actually do. The answer, as always, is: vote Democrat, even if you have to hold your nose to do so, & just... hope enough others do as well.

I wonder whether they got the idea from the Israeli governing coalition...not that I think they'd need to get the idea from anywhere since it's an obvious countermove to a red-state prosecution of Trump.

The other question is what are the non-Republicans gonna do about it?
They're not following an Israeli policy. Mussolini, Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Franco etc. all distort and weaponize government agencies to go after their political opponents and others they deem as threats to order.

I feel like they do, in that the answer is "don't allow stuff like this", but if the voters elect a Republican legislature & a Republican Governor, I'm not sure what the minority party in a state can actually do. The answer, as always, is: vote Democrat, even if you have to hold your nose to do so, & just... hope enough others do as well.
A principled stance, Illinois style.

That's exactly how this state gets governed.

As Bird said, what can they? This has been among the most distressing developments in this whole sordid mess, if not the most. They are literally making laws to facilitate Trump's getting away with having broken laws!
It seems that when the republicans lose they find loads of stuff to do, when they win even the smallest margins they find ways to push their agenda. When the dems lose they say "we have to be better", when they win they mostly get blocked by the minority. I do not have an answer, but it does seem that one side is more accepting of "what can we do, nothing" than the other.

It seems that when the republicans lose they find loads of stuff to do, when they win even the smallest margins they find ways to push their agenda. When the dems lose they say "we have to be better", when they win they mostly get blocked by the minority. I do not have an answer, but it does seem that one side is more accepting of "what can we do, nothing" than the other.
Or, one side is more honest about their goals/plans.

I think that the Democrats are bound to a very rigid sense of procedure, of "the right way to do things", that makes it very easy to obstruct them when they're out of power, and very easy to overrule them while they're in power. They believe in procedure where the Republicans believe in politics, and both parties behave like it.

I think that the Democrats are bound to a very rigid sense of procedure, of "the right way to do things", that makes it very easy to obstruct them when they're out of power, and very easy to overrule them while they're in power. They believe in procedure where the Republicans believe in politics, and both parties behave like it.

This isn't entirely true. The Democrats won't do what we might call "procedural maximalism" against the Republicans, but they sure as hell have no scruples about ratfudging the left-wing of their own party.

This isn't entirely true. The Democrats won't do what we might call "procedural maximalism" against the Republicans, but they sure as hell have no scruples about ratfudging the left-wing of their own party.
Procedurally? I'm not challenging the veracity of your claim; I just can't myself think what you might have in mind here.

Tuesday is coming!

WashingtonCNN —
Former President Donald Trump said Saturday he expects to be arrested in connection with the yearslong investigation into a hush money scheme involving adult film actress Stormy Daniels and called on his supporters to protest any such move.

In a social media post, Trump, referring to himself, said the “leading Republican candidate and former president of the United States will be arrested on Tuesday of next week” – though he did not say why he expects to be arrested. His team said after Trump’s post that it had not received any notifications from prosecutors.

More here:

Top Bottom