U.S. Navy Rescues 13 Iranian Hostages

If Somali pirates were using piracy as a means to just get by then they'd board the ship, take the ship's cash, medical supplies, food, etc (ships usually carry lots of that stuff) and go home. Instead they are greedy and hold crew and ship for millions and millions of dollars in ransom. They're no different than any other violent crime syndicate who does crap like this. I don't understand where all this sympathy comes from.

According to your signature, it has an awful leader, and it suddenly lost it's place to Canada because of that. Sorry.

:lol: That's something Mitch McConnell said. Look him up! If you think that's my sentiment then you don't know me well enough to be making guesses at my sentiments.

Not that it could make a difference anyway. We could elect Gary Busey president and it wouldn't compromise USA #1. Nor does you saying so. :D

If Somali pirates were using piracy as a means to just get by then they'd board the ship, take the ship's cash, medical supplies, food, etc (ships usually carry lots of that stuff) and go home. Instead they are greedy and hold crew and ship for millions and millions of dollars in ransom. They're no different than any other violent crime syndicate who does crap like this. I don't understand where all this sympathy comes from.

Remarkably I agree totally with you.

It is sad how the so called world community has eaten the spin on Somali Pirates like they would eat ice cream!

Why the hell do you guys think there is socalled somali pirates?!?
We have over fished and bottom-trawled their fishing waters, we have dumped biohazardous waste on their beaches, we have destroyed their country, we have kept them at war, in draught and famine for a generation now...

It more like this:

US pirates attacked poor somali fishermen who out of hunger, fear from local warlords and desperation had taken things into their own hands and seized an Iranian trading ship. The fishermen are now in the claws of the US pirates.

I support the so called somali pirates and fishermen 100%!

How about story in the OP, the pirates in the Persian/Arabian Gulf? They took fishermen hostage.

When the Somali Pirates started they were out to protect their livelyhood but now they are just a criminal enterprise.

Hopefully this incident will give a small (very small most likely) improvement in relations but the most important thing is the fact that the fishermen were rescued.

It's the Obama foriegn policy.
Be nice to your enemies and they'll be nice to you! Flawless plan.

The fact that no centralized state exists to impose law and order, and to provide economic incentives against piracy, is the bigger crime.

Well only if it was an official from the US playing with them :D

Hehehe no but seriously... You think the so called pirates are doing it just for the fun or for the quick buck? That they would not stop if they had some better choices? Somalia is a hell on earth - all created by us in the west and I cannot find ANY way of deniying it. But then again it would be since we are the axis of evil in this world...
Please explain how the West turned Somalia into a hell hole...

And here you unconsciously fall into the trap of assuming that America is omnipotent.
USA #1! We're omnipotent because we are, so we are omnipotent! No trap there. :yup:

Yeah, thats about as accurate as eye patches, parrots and plank walking.

Do you believe that they are not now a criminal enterprise.

From UK Government.

Captain Reindorp, Head of the Defence Crisis Management Centre at the Ministry of Defence (MoD), agreed with this view, stating: "The early days of what press reports and academic works describe as subsistence pirates, who go to sea because they have had their livelihood taken away from them, are long gone."

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmfaff/1318/131806.htm#n9

From Time

A United Nations report in 2006 said that, in the absence of the country's at one time serviceable coastguard, Somali waters have become the site of an international "free for all," with fishing fleets from around the world illegally plundering Somali stocks and freezing out the country's own rudimentarily-equipped fishermen. According to another U.N. report, an estimated $300 million worth of seafood is stolen from the country's coastline each year....

In the early days of Somali piracy, those who seized trawlers without licenses could count on a quick ransom payment, since the boat owners and companies backing those vessels didn't want to draw attention to their violation of international maritime law. This, Charo reckons, allowed the pirates to build up their tactical networks and whetted their appetite for bigger spoils.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1892376,00.html#ixzz1izY0zDzk

Here we go again!

FULL STORY

The Beeb said:
US ships 'in second rescue of Iranians in Gulf'

A US ship has picked up Iranians in trouble at sea, in the second such rescue in less than a week, the Pentagon has said.

US Coast Guard cutter Monomoy rescued six Iranian mariners after their vessel broke down in the Gulf.

One of the six had suffered burns and is receiving treatment, Pentagon spokesman George Little told reporters.

The US Navy rescued 13 Iranian fishermen last Thursday after they were captured by Somali pirates.

Both incidents come at a time of heightened tensions between Washington and Tehran.

The Beeb said:
In the latest incident, the six Iranians were some 50 miles (90km) south-east of the Iraqi port of Umm Qasr when they got into trouble early on Tuesday, Mr Little said.

The crew used flares and flashlights to hail the passing Monomoy. The vessel's master indicated "that the engine room was flooding and [the ship was] not seaworthy", Mr Little added.

The Pentagon said the Iranian mariners would be repatriated, although it has not yet been determined how.

The Beeb said:
Washington says its forces routinely rescue sailors in distress - regardless of nationality - but wanted to highlight the two recent incidents in light of the current tensions between the two countries.

I think I mentioned before that the IRCGN ha a nasty habit of robbing fishermen and locking them in their reefers to die. I found several of these, as well as boats where the crews had been severely beaten.

Yeah, the maritime fishing community isn't the biggest fan of Iran.

Why would members of the Institut de recherche criminelle de la gendarmerie nationale attack Iranian fishermen, are they training the Iranians

US ships have, for the second time in a week, rescued a group of Iranians in trouble at sea, the Pentagon has said.
US Coast Guard cutter Monomoy picked up six Iranian mariners after their vessel broke down in the Gulf.
One of the mariners had suffered burn injuries and was receiving treatment from the Coast Guard, Pentagon spokesman George Little told reporters.
The US Navy rescued 13 Iranian fishermen last Thursday after they were captured by Somali pirates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-16493551

Spoiler :
US ships have, for the second time in a week, rescued a group of Iranians in trouble at sea, the Pentagon has said.
US Coast Guard cutter Monomoy picked up six Iranian mariners after their vessel broke down in the Gulf.
One of the mariners had suffered burn injuries and was receiving treatment from the Coast Guard, Pentagon spokesman George Little told reporters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-16493551

Beat you by two hours :p

Check three posts above you.

Top Bottom