U.S. Navy Rescues 13 Iranian Hostages

Joecoolyo

99% Lightspeed
... only days after Iran warns the U.S. to keep the rescuing carrier group out of the region.

THE FULL STORY

The Beeb said:
The US Navy has rescued 13 Iranian fishermen being held by pirates in the Arabian Sea, the Pentagon says.

The 13 were rescued on Thursday after a distress call was received from an Iranian fishing vessel which had been boarded by pirates over a month ago.

Fifteen suspected pirates were detained and are being held by the US Navy.

The rescue comes days after Iranian officials warned the US to keep the carrier group involved in the operation out of the Gulf.

The Iranians had been kept in harsh conditions and are thought to have been forced to assist the pirates in their operations, according to the Pentagon.

The Beeb said:
The freed hostages are now on their way back home, the US Navy said.

The hostages "had been through a lot", said Navy Criminal Investigative Service agent Josh Schminky.

"We went out of our way to treat the fishing crew with kindness and respect," he said.

The captain of the Al Molai, a fishing dhow, "expressed his sincere gratitude that we came to assist them. He was afraid that without our help, they could have been there for months," he added.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Personally, I want to see if the Iranian regime will react at all to this.

The Americansn probably paid the pirates and sent them after the fishing boat, just so the Navy could play the good guy and shame the Iranian government.

Personally, I want to see if the Iranian regime will react at all to this.

If the Iranians mention it at all, they will most likely spin the story that they would have done the rescue themselves but the aggressive U.S. carrier group in the area prevented them from doing so.

That said, I hope I'm wrong and this eases tensions a bit.

Props to all our sailors!

Nicely done lads. Can't see the Government (on either side really) being too keen to say anything, but the US Navy can be proud of that one.

The Americansn probably paid the pirates and sent them after the fishing boat, just so the Navy could play the good guy and shame the Iranian government.

So obviously the correct perspective.

Better still, Americans Sieze Iranian Hostages!

The article doesn't mention what happened to the pirates, but I've read elsewhere that they were handed to Iran. I wonder what will happen to them.

The Iranian news agency Fars agrees with you. They think it sounds too much "like Hollywood" something "pre-organized".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16455164

The Iranian government called it 'humanitarian', but said it didn't affect overall relations between the two countries.

That would be quite a risky mission, because if just one pirate talked... But, after the decision to fly troops deep into Pakistan without letting any local know, so that someone being shelter by the Pakistanis could be killed within walking distance of a Pakistani military complex, I can see it happening.

It is sad how the so called world community has eaten the spin on Somali Pirates like they would eat ice cream!

Why the hell do you guys think there is socalled somali pirates?!?
We have over fished and bottom-trawled their fishing waters, we have dumped biohazardous waste on their beaches, we have destroyed their country, we have kept them at war, in draught and famine for a generation now...

It more like this:

US pirates attacked poor somali fishermen who out of hunger, fear from local warlords and desperation had taken things into their own hands and seized an Iranian trading ship. The fishermen are now in the claws of the US pirates.

I support the so called somali pirates and fishermen 100%!

It is sad how the so called world community has eaten the spin on Somali Pirates like they would eat ice cream!

We have over fished and bottom-trawled their fishing waters, we have dumped biohazardous waste on their beaches, we have destroyed their country, we have kept them at war, in draught and famine for a generation now...

It more like this:

US pirates attacked poor somali fishermen who out of hunger, fear from local warlords and desperation had taken things into their own hands and seized an Iranian trading ship. The fishermen are now in the claws of the US pirates.

I'm pretty sure you could make playing with puppies sound like the ninth circle of hell. Well done with that spin!

Good job on helping the US spread propaganda ;)
On a more serious note, I don't see how those brave sailors of the navy make USA #1. Me being the most epic person in the world doesn't make my country the best country in the world, does it?

Me being the most epic person in the world doesn't make my country the best country in the world, does it?

It's a slightly different story if you do amazing things while representing your country, in the name of your country, and instructed by the human representatives of your country.

It more like this:

It's hard for the "somali fisherman" to have the moral high ground when they kidnap and kill people.

Top Bottom