Ultimate Wishlist for potential Civ6 leaders

I could see Ethiopia being left out with the inclusion of Nubia. I could even see Mali being cut out due to Nubia, because they already have the extra gold part covered, too. I obviously think we should still definitely get Ethiopia and something from West Africa, besides Carthage (which we should also get), but I could see it not being Mali.

Which West African Civ do you think we will get instead of Mali? Many have suggested the Ghana Empire, but their leaders are pretty much unknown. We could get Kanem-Bornu, Hausa, Ashanti, Benin, Dahomey, etc. Plenty of choices for that region. I was hoping for two West African representatives (one Saharan and one Coastal), but maybe it's too much to ask for.

I hope Ethiopia isn't out because of Nubia. They really don't share much similarities. Nubia was more similar to Egypt. Kind of like a Greece and Rome situation. Ethiopia is Christian (Ethiopian Orthodox), and a mix of Semitic/Cuhorsehockyic* cultures. Ethiopia and Nubia have interacted with each other in the past though.

Fingers crossed that the Zulu isn't the last sub-Saharan African Civ added to Civ6. :sad:

*really, this word is censored? ok it's "Cush" + "itic".

Which West African Civ do you think we will get instead of Mali? Many have suggested the Ghana Empire, but their leaders are pretty much unknown. We could get Kanem-Bornu, Hausa, Ashanti, Benin, Dahomey, etc. Plenty of choices for that region. I was hoping for two West African representatives (one Saharan and one Coastal), but maybe it's too much to ask for.

I hope Ethiopia isn't out because of Nubia. They really don't share much similarities. Nubia was more similar to Egypt. Kind of like a Greece and Rome situation. Ethiopia is Christian (Ethiopian Orthodox), and a mix of Semitic/Cu****ic* cultures. Ethiopia and Nubia have interacted with each other in the past though.

Fingers crossed that the Zulu isn't the last sub-Saharan African Civ added to Civ6. :sad:

*really, this word is censored? ok it's "Cush" + "itic".
I edited the post later. I think Hausa might be a good choice, because it gets a civilization in Nigeria, which is the country with the highest population in Africa.
And while Ethiopia and Nubia aren't very related, I dont think we'll be getting three civilizations in eastern Africa.

I edited the post later. I think Hausa might be a good choice, because it gets a civilization in Nigeria, which is the country with the highest population in Africa.
And while Ethiopia and Nubia aren't very related, I dont think we'll be getting three civilizations in eastern Africa.

So you consider Egypt part of eastern Africa? I will continue to hope for Ethiopia's return.

Is he real? How do we even know his name, when the Olmec writing is undeciphered? All I can find connected to "Po Ngbe" is Afrocentric writing (Clyde Winters), which are not real scholarly sources. These sources claim the Olmecs were black Africans, when they weren't.

Is he real? How do we even know his name, when the Olmec writing is undeciphered? All I can find connected to "Po Ngbe" is Afrocentric writing (Clyde Winters), which are not real scholarly sources. These sources claim the Olmecs were black Africans, when they weren't.
That source is as plausible as citing Plato as evidence of the Atlantean civilization.

I thought I'd share some info on potential leaders that I came across. Of course there doesn't appear to be too much info on them, but the more choices we have the better. These lists show most of the Hopi leaders as well as their divisions from the mid 1800s on.

Hopi: Lomahongyoma, Loololma, Tewaquaptewa, Yokioma, and Nakwaiyamtewa (Most of those links mention all of them, especially since Tewaquaptewa was Loololma's successor and Yokioma was Lomahongyoma's successor. Their names may also be spelt differently in the other sources.).

Navajo: Barboncito and Henry Chee Dodge (A slightly more modern choice but at least far back enough to not be too recent and he could be an interesting choice).

I thought I'd share some info on potential leaders that I came across. Of course there doesn't appear to be too much info on them, but the more choices we have the better. These lists show most of the Hopi leaders as well as their divisions from the mid 1800s on.

Hopi: Lomahongyoma, Loololma, Tewaquaptewa, Yokioma, and Nakwaiyamtewa (Most of those links mention all of them, especially since Tewaquaptewa was Loololma's successor and Yokioma was Lomahongyoma's successor. Their names may also be spelt differently in the other sources.).

Navajo: Barboncito and Henry Chee Dodge (A slightly more modern choice but at least far back enough to not be too recent and he could be an interesting choice).

Thanks for the leader suggestions! I've added them to the list.

I just discovered that there were at least two Haida chiefs who were known as 'Skidegate the Great' and that the first one was actually referred to as 'Skidegate the Very Great' (most of the info is on pages 39 and 40)! I'll admit that they at least sound interesting!

I know he's already on the leader list in the OP, but I want to share how cool Taharqo is as a potential Egyptian and/or Nubian leader (could feasibly be a leader like Charlemagne who could lead either of two civs depending on player choice in map setup). Taharqo/Taharqa was a Nubian pharaoh of Egypt's 25th Dynasty and kore of Kush, and led a golden age (he also had a really cool sphinx), though he also lost to the Assyrians (he was trying to help Hezekiah, king of Judah, in his rebellion--interestingly the Assyrians lost a significant battle to Egypt and a significant battle to Judah due to plague and/or "divine intervention").

I just discovered that there were at least two Haida chiefs who were known as 'Skidegate the Great' and that the first one was actually referred to as 'Skidegate the Very Great' (most of the info is on pages 39 and 40)! I'll admit that they at least sound interesting!
Certainly sounds interesting, but we don't really know much about him/them, do we? Or at least, not enough to create a decent Civilopedia entry (not that Civ VI has many of those), with an agenda, diplomacy preferences, and leader bonus. :|

Last edited:
@Morningcalm Unfortunately not much. I would've thought that, considering their titles of the Very Great and the Great, we'd know a fair amount about their lives but the only things that source told me was their appearance and perhaps a handful of things about them like the wealth, slaves, and respect that they had. Granted, its a bit more than most of the other Haida choices but its not close to the amount of info we have on non-Haida PNW leaders like Macuina and Gush X'een. I'm just curious about how, if Firaxis was originally going to have the Haida in R&F instead of the Cree, what leader did they have in mind? Maybe a lack of great choices was what caused or added to the switch?

I suspect the lack of well attested leaders was *the* reason they didn't put Haida in (assuming their intention was even to have them in the first place, which is speculative to begin with).

their appearance and perhaps a handful of things about them like the wealth, slaves, and respect that they had.
To be fair, add genealogy to that list and you basically have what's important to the people of the PNW. ;)

Speaking of the PNW, Chief Katlian (also spelt K'alyaan or Kotleian depending on the source) could be a possibility for the Tlingit. He's briefly mentioned in the Battle of Sitka wiki page but he's mentioned in much better detail in other sources (these 2 sources in particular show how ineffective the Russian envoys were!) including this book and this article. Here are some depictions of him and his raven helmet. With all that being said, I still think Gush X'een would be a more interesting and unique leader especially in terms of gameplay agendas and abilities but I thought Katlian would at least be worth knowing about.

Speaking of the PNW, Chief Katlian (also spelt K'alyaan or Kotleian depending on the source) could be a possibility for the Tlingit. He's briefly mentioned in the Battle of Sitka wiki page but he's mentioned in much better detail in other sources (these 2 sources in particular show how ineffective the Russian envoys were!) including this book and this article. Here are some depictions of him and his raven helmet. With all that being said, I still think Gush X'een would be a more interesting and unique leader especially in terms of gameplay agendas and abilities but I thought Katlian would at least be worth knowing about.

Thanks! I've added Chief Katlian to the list.

Boleslaus I might not be the worst choice for Bohemia. Sure, he killed st. Wenceslas, but he was actually a very competent leader.

Top Bottom