1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Up for an expansive game?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by RRRaskolnikov, Nov 15, 2013.

1. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

I'd settle for continents with standard number of random opponents, maybe balanced resources coz we'd have a really hard time without horses.

2. Rusten

Rusten Deity

Agreed! I don't think anybody has much against the variant (if so speak up now!), so it might be time for you to make an executive decision and get this rolling (boss). :)

Leader choice is still up in the air between Mao/Peter/Sury. I'm fine with either one of them, no preference really. You can go back and count.

3. Doshin

Doshin jolly yellow giant

The organizer's vote trumps all (to my mind). But failing that, flip a 3-sided coin. :p

4. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

ramdom.org gives Sury (1 -> Mao, 2 -> Peter, 3 -> Sury, drew 3).

Sury/continent/6 random opponents/regular barb/quick speed as final settings? (yes, yet another test)

I can generate a save tonight. everybody has the BUFFY mod right?

5. kossin

kossin Deity

What's this !! 2009?

Good ol' times... Sury is a great leader, gets 5~10t development lead early in the game compared to others.

Gogo quick continents!

6. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

I'll take the lack of replies as a yes :mischief:

Since I am a cool guy, we'll do it in normal speed... generating the save in a couple of hours

Hey kossin :salute: good to see you still active :thumbsup:

yeah pretty much 2009... with some more years and kilogramms :lol:

7. kossin

kossin Deity

Actively lurking :groucho:

Better get a save or I'll start dumping some for you guys !

8. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Settings:
    Spoiler :

Starting Location:
    Spoiler :

Techs:
    Spoiler :

and the save!

Attached Files:

9. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

I say in place looks OK. I am torned about that scout though: do we want to unreveal those two last tiles we can't see or do we want to reveal land west, or along the river?

10. Doshin

Nice start. :)

Are those coastal tiles NE of the Settler? 3N1E / 3N2E .

There are surely better tiles to work in our capital than non-riverside Wine. So I'd move the Scout 2E1N or 2E, to look for better options.

If the coast is near, we'll need to take care not to wreck future city sites.

11. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

I cannot be sure, 3N2E looks like an oasis to me :crazyeye:

yeah non-riverside wine kinda sucks but there is decent food and some early commerce at least. We'll have to weight the opportunity cost of moving (better time to first settler?) if we want to go that route.

edit: we should talk about play order also. I can't play before saturday myself.

12. pomthom

pomthom Drive & Reverb

I'd move scout 2E1N for a better look of the eastern greenland stuff. Maybe settle 1E of Settler.

Good luck guys! And don't forget that when all else fails, do not despair: you have Archers. Soon. Maybe.

-the evidence is clear

13. Rusten

Rusten Deity

Agree with scout E -> NE to have a look, but it would take something massive to change my heart from settling 1E -- looks like an amazing capital. River corn, river grass cottages, river grass hills -- too good! :yumyum:

14. Doshin

SIP and 1E should also be able to work Forest Plains Hills after three turns, for a quick first Worker. Yay synergy. :hammer:

There's a chance we'll pick up Desert tiles moving 1E, but Plains Wine tiles are very bad, so I'd still rate 1E > SIP, unless the Scout reveals a resource in the north.

15. Rusten

Rusten Deity

Yea, that forested plains hill is great, we are off to a really good start here. We have power tiles right off the bat so the earlier we get the worker the better. We have mining for the hills already so we just need agriculture which will finish in time.

We can even mine the pigs temporarily and get BW early maybe? :dunno: River corn is enough food for the early (pre-granary, pre-hardcore-whipping) phase.

1E looks to have a maximum of 1 desert tile to me based on quick fog-gaze, and plains wine is equally useless anyway -- only good for the resource.

16. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Oo's up? Oo's next?

Do we have a rooster?

Scout E>NE sounds a sensible starting move followed by a screenshot before moving settler (or not ;)).

17. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

I agree about 1E being the stronger and I would do agri first too, together with a worker right away. I can move that scout in a few but if anyone want to go meanwhile, be my guest :)

As for the roster, I can play tmr but Rusten said he might be available earlier. So based on that:

Rusten
    myself
    Folket
    pigswill
    Doshin (putting you last since u can't play right away iirc)

We can adjust function of everyone's schedule and wishes.

edit on techs: after agriculture, I'd go BW too since it's fast with mining already at home. It gets us good prod early and possible copper. Then prolly archery or TW. But that might be too far off.

Cheers,
    Ras

18. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Our scout reveals rice and a couple of gold. Shaka mustn't be far, that's not possible... :cool:

1E looks even stronger, I wouldn't give up the riverside grass hill and pigs for the rice.

thoughts?

edit: 1N gives a lot of food though... and more riverside tiles... hum

Attached Files:

19. Doshin

What a nice start. :)

1E looks stronger to me. The Corn and Pigs will provide +9 :food: for most of the game, which is strong enough to absorb a zero food tile. The capital will also spend a considerable amount of time building Workers and Settler early on, so the food loss isn't so severe and the commerce gain from the Gold will be huge.

City #2/3 can take the second Rice and Gold.

I'd be happy to go from Agriculture ---> Bronze Working, unless Scouting reveals new possibilities. Two cities quickly set up to work two food resources and two Golds = :king:

20. Rusten

Rusten Deity

:lol:
    I am now convinced you WB'ed this start.

This is HoF-worthy.....