Defensive Ditch- Gives city garrisons defensive bonuses

Gauls and Britons
Village Counsel- Increases tax output, allows for barracks
Tavern- Produces happiness
Druid's Temple- Produces culture
Barracks- Produces veterans, allows for War Camp
War Camp- Allows for more advanced units and Gallic Tracker

Here's Caesar's War Commentaries
I would like to have feed back on the map, for I really want an accurate map. I was working on it, and I started to add some of the major tribes. I'm going to change German Cavalry over to the Ubii, instead of the Usipetes. I think I'll add more UU to the Germans, to tribes such as the Suevi, the Usipetes, the Tenchtheri, and the Menapii. The Germans should have the right, to cross over the Rhine, burn a few cities, and then hop back home. This will force the player to cross the Rhine, and give the Germans a reality check.

I think Jobiwan has a point. Instead of the Triarii, Hastae, and Principes, maybe we could have a few Roman legions, that would have like 5+ hitpoints, but would cost a lot- shield wise. For a wonder for the Britons, we could give them the Druid's sancatuary, which would give them a ton of culture points. In the Brit. Channel, you could have an ocean or something, which would make it treacherous for Roman Galleys, to represent the ships he lost in 54 and 53 BC.

I can't unzip the file. It's says the file is incomplete... anybody else had this problem?

Can I have any suggestions here? I recently have been extremely busy, so I haven't done that much work on the map. John_Deere, the reason that I don't have one, base legionary unit, is because when you units each have different strengths and weaknesses, you are unable to pump one unit. This means that you have to predict, what units you'll need in the future. Perhaps you are going on the defensive, so you'll pump out Triarii. Maybe you you need a stronger offensive, so you'll make a Principae,and Hastae army. The ultimate combination is when you use all 3 units together.

I guess you're right....it'll make it more interesting. I suggest that for the Gaulish tribes, they each have a few cities, and they do not have the ability to make settlers. The tribes that have UU would be limited to 1 or 2 cities, while those tribes that use the stock Gallic units will have 3 or 4 cities. I envision that working out pretty well.

I agree with you JD. That would be a great way to have the tribes done. For Britain, I think that there should be 3 tribes. I know what the 3 are, except that the site that has the three names, is currently down. I'll try to find another source.

Now this next idea is a bit off the the beaten path. It's that the Gods will play a role in this mod. Well, sort of. There's going to be 2 small wonders, which we'll name Gaul God, and Roman God. Your civ can decide which god you want to worship. Each wonder can be built by researching. Although you can build both, each wonder will only work under a certain kind of government. So, you must research, build, and then change to to the God you want to worship. Building it will provide some bonuses.

Another idea is to add a converter unit, that is, a unit that will enslave a unit, and has a hidden nationality. This is a way to diplomaticly gain strength, without actually coming to war. A great way to weaken an opponet.

I like the ideas...the Gods are an intersting idea. However, the converter is historically incorrect, but we could make some allowances. I don't see how effective they could be though...

Hi guys. Sorry I've been gone for a while. Things really just so busy, so I couldn't find any spare time, and then I forgot about....the usual story.

Anyways, I have worked on the map a bit, played around with the improvements and wonders for a spree. I assigned each tribe to its respective civ, and added some stock cities for the western tribes. I also am in the middle of flavors, and and assigning each civ to its flavor. The next version will include some Briton tribes, with all the civs with the correct amount of cities, and flavors being assigned to each civ.

I also have been tinkering with the trairii, hastus...for quite awhile. Since no one has been giving me feed back of any sort(John_Deere your an exception), I find it hard to determine the attitude about it. I need to know, because this isn't just for me. Its for everyone, so I want the majority of people here, content.

Map Edition I is being removed after 22 views.

Think I'll throw in the towel on my own Gallic wars scenario. You've much more done than me. Tell me, have you done any work on the tech tree? I had a few ideas there and I've already got a load of civ-pedia icons prepared. They're yours if you want them!
I also found some really obscure names of gallic towns from this;
http://www.hhhh.org/perseant/libellus/commentaries/holmes/holmesgi.html

Thanks Saturn. I'll get my ideas together and PM you in the next couple of days.

@John_Deere. Druid's Sancturary is a great idea as it was believed that most druids went to briton to learn their trade, so to speak. So this would be an accurate wonder for starters.

The velite unit should be reused as Exploratiae - the scout unit of the Romans. I would use it as is in RFRE except reduce it's attack significantly.

Re: The English Channel. Instead of putting in ocean(bit of a tight fit!), we could reduce roman boat movement to 1 or 2 and give the gauls and briton a new invisible, HN unit called 'channel storm'. We can request a unit be made to represent a tidal wave or something like that with a serious attack statistic. That would give the Romans a scare or two crossing the channel!

@Saturn. Considering that this will cover no more than 10 years real time, maybe we should restrict city growth rates. It would be a bit much to believe that a size one town could become a metropolis by the end of the game. Also, the legions, ect. could cost population points. This would represent the difficulty in raising an army at short notice. The conscript button will come into play in a more strategic way.

Those are very good ideas Traianus. The city growth idea is very good. I also support what you said about raising legions. For the druid santucuary, do you guys have a certain way that you want it to look like? I think I'm going to enter it into Roman Legion's wonder lottery.

Map edition III is almost done, I'm just foraging for city names for a few Gallic Tribes. It should be out by Friday, at the latest.

I made a file with 45 gaul tribes and 8 surrounding tribes + Rome/

It has name, leader, capital and localisation.

I also have a map of Gaul with correct starting locs for 31 of those civs.

Are you interested ?

I just seconded the request for Druid's Sanctary in RomanLegion's lottery. Still kinda new to the forums so I'm not sure how to link to it but I'm sure you'll manage. I posted a cool graphic I found for it. Anyone who wants to help get this mod up and running should get in there and vote too!

Here's a link I found. Seems to be bursting with all things celtic.
http://www.druidcircle.net/home.html

Top Bottom