1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Update incoming

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ozymandias9891, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kruos

Kruos Warlord

Yes Ed is cool, and when it's Ed speaking, you know that he knows what he is speaking of, he radiates mastery.

nzcamel likes this.
  2. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Yeah, like this :shifty: but not shifty.

Katakanja and nzcamel like this.
  3. Athmos

Athmos Warlord

UI updates sounds great. I really hope they'll get around to fixing the various refresh bugs where the UI is not displaying the right data, or that they'd get around to actually displaying multiplier policy bonuses in the UI.

The balance changes mentioned sound great, this is looking like it's going in the right direction.

4. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

River adjacency bonuses come online right at the start of the game and provide a significant boost, and apply to both science and production. They also have a good UU.

They generated this behaviour only fairly recently (they were doing it before Rise & Fall, though not to quite the same degree, but not before the last pre-R&F patch). It shouldn't be hard to reverse the behavioural change they coded then since they should already have a record of what parts of the code and what values they altered.

nzcamel likes this.
  5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I just started a long game with mods, I sure hope I can finish it in time. I disabled all victory conditions except time and conquest, so I have no choice but to conquer the world (Expanded Earth mod). I don't want the fun to end (disclaimer: conquering the world is evil and stuff and should not be encouraged)

King Rad and ChocolateShake like this.
  6. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

No, the era pace is badly designed. The usual pace of a normal player from ancient to information ranges from 120~180 turns standard speed, depend on map and Civ conditions, that's a huge range. But 280 is definitely out of range.

Definition of normal player: A player with normal intelligence, knows the game well, and not focusing only on speed but also focus on some other interesting features.

If you consider "reverse time"-- the time when humanity begin from nonsense to flying to Mars, plus the time people on Mars developed their own techs and affinities and return to Earth, 280 is a fair amount.

Ferocitus likes this.
  7. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Well they need to change that. People want 450 to 500 turns-ish on standard, so that's no good!

Jackanape likes this.
  8. Ozymandias9891

Ozymandias9891 Warlord

Actually, Canada will get the Sugar Shack in forested tundra tiles and the ice hockey rink in snow tiles :lol:

9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

There can't be a sugar shack in a world full of pine trees

Ozymandias9891 and tedhebert like this.
  10. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

That's why there should be Deciduous Woods!

11. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Agreed.

I find the era pace is fairly well balanced with era score accumulation, especially considering this is the first release of this system. There's some fine tuning that could be done now that they have live data, but I thought the developers got the balance pretty good for a new mechanic.

The problem is that the era pace is out of sync with the speed at which you move through the research and civics trees. The developers tried to link the two by providing a range of turns that an era could last. The problem is that the lower bound is too high at current progression speeds based on my experience (Emperor to Deity games, standard speed, standard to large maps).

To me, the answer is to continue to slow down tech and civic progression, to bring it in line with the era progression. Shortening the eras would throw off the balance with era scores, so I prefer delaying the accumulation of techs and civics. There are a lot of ways that could be done. I'd argue for a combination of:
    • adding some new techs / civics, especially on paths with big era jumps
    • increasing the cost progression of later techs / civics
    • increasing the bonus for researching "behind era" techs / civics and increasing the malus for researching "ahead era" techs / civics

12. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Can you please just accept that your standard gameplay =/= a normal player's standard gameplay? I myself typically play on Immortal or Deity, which probably puts me far above the average player*, and yet my standard information era is about 250 turns in. You are much better than the average player, and there's nothing wrong with that, but please, for the love of god, stop continuously implying on this forum that you are the average player. You're NOT.

*For reference, 37.8% of the players on Steam has won a game (using the Settler or harder achievement as stat for that, as any win will trigger the achievement) while only 4.2% of the players has won on Deity, meaning that about one in every nine players plays at the same difficulty I play at. Of course, this is excluding people who don't finish games, but that's only favorable to your argument.

ABNDT, 54teltakt, nzcamel and 2 others like this.
  13. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

Glad that they are listening to us and addressing player concerns. If I may add one before the patch comes out: in the excitement of R&F's release, they forgot to include the Inca. Silly Ed! Remember when you totally said in every single FL and livestream video that they were coming? I'm sure it was an oversight. Just put them in with the patch this week, and all will be forgiven. Thanks! :crazyeye::lol:

14. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Pretty much the same here honestly... between 200 and 250 is more my normal pace... mostly on immortal... and I consider myself a slightly better than average to good player...

15. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm on turn 244 and only researching my first modern civic (still not there on techs yet). This is on epic speed, however. Era pace has been fine for me. Only game it was weird was when I was competing against Korea with science and her and I pushed the eras quite fast because of our fast research, nearly everyone was ending up in a dark age.

16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

To keep on par with the Water Park here's what I think the Entertainment Complex buildings will do now:
    Arena- will stay the same
    Zoo- add science to rainforest tiles/camps in this city.
    Stadium-add two tourism.

AvianBritish and Uberfrog like this.
  17. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I'm not disputing that there aren't problems with the mismatch, but with so many
    combinations of pace, levels, number of civs, map sizes, and other factors, and
    no real data (let alone standard deviations) the notion of an average player is
    almost meaningless.
    Even trying to come up with some rational definition of average for each level,
    from lowest to highest, is fraught.

King Rad likes this.
  18. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

I'm a casual/normal player, and my wins are usually around turn 325. If I cap out the tech/civic tree it's around turn 350.

So people saying they "always win" around turn 180 blow my mind. I can't wrap my brain around that.

King Rad likes this.
  19. liv

liv Emperor

So the conclusion is everyone is a normal player

Hactar and tedhebert like this.
  20. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Nope. Dunno why you continue to insist on pulling assertions out of thin air.

King Rad and nzcamel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.