"Vive l'Empereur!": another D+3 Succession

We have 47 cities, 70 techs; we’re at war with the Zulus (20 cities, 19 seen; 47 techs) and the Chinese (11 cities, 10 seen; 59 techs.) Allied with the Egyptians (18 cities, all seen,; 66 techs) and the Mongols (25 cities, all seen; 41 techs.) The Romans (5 cities, 3 seen; 57 techs) are officially at peace with us and otherwise not involved.

We have a reasonable number of troops -- most in the Chinese theatre, about half are non-vet and about half are wounded. We have a few Chinese cities “behind” our lines and we’ll list resolution of that ‘awkwardness’ as our primary goal. We’ve discovered Flight but still need airports for multiple reasons -- making that our second goal.

Rush a few shields for a howie experiment & start out.

1768 (1) -- [We complete the Hoover Dam, Egypt abandons. Discover Robotics & opt for Radio over AW, Fundy, Labor, & NF. many new Engineers come out to play, as well as a few spies & one new vet Howie. Pop = 27M] Five out of six available trucks deliver demanded products: London Oil to Mars = 420, Fayette oil to London = 416, Toulose Oil to Nott = 198, Br silver to Macao = 187, and York Silver to Macao = 187.

lost an Arty, but take Canton, 84 gp and the Senate allows the continuance of hostilities. Lose a non-vet tank cleaning up the many partisans. buy a Chinese engineer (because we prefer not to slaughter civilians who just can’t help getting in the way.

Spend some cash -- Superhighway in Cheese valley, MT in Gaulish, and an Offshore in Avignon.

1770 (2) -- [Egypt discovers GW, WL ends in six cities, starts in a couple more. Pop = 29M] Espy Yangchow -- last unknown Chinese city on the next door isle.

Destroyer makes vet by smacking a Chinese cannon -- notice that we’re officially at war with the Zulus, so the boat blows away a wandering green camel about to get in the way of serious business. The greenies call in help from the Romans. Oh well.

Oxford oil (d) to Shanghai = 402. Toggle to 1.4.5

1772 (3) [Egyptians try an espionage attempt…and here we are irrigating their lands…China discovers flight; Mongols discover Fundy, swap with Zulus & get Steam. Zulus discover AW. WL ends in one city and starts in two others. Two skulls pop up. Pop = 31M]

Our sole (vet) Ironclad sinks inferior Chinese Ironclad (and thus saves itself from the scrapyard). Smack 4 alpines in Shanghai, but their Oil demand is still blocked. Well if they won’t pay fair market prices, we’ll just have to go and do that thing we do so well…next turn. Dye (d) from Reading to Anyang = 166; Boug receives demanded Copper & pays 252.

1774 (4) -- [Egypt steals MT, but we don’t dissolve the alliance. Discover Radio & opt for Labor over AF, AW, Fundy, NF, Recyc. yeah, yeah, I know, but I like Jeeps -- cheap & dependable. WL ends in three cities, starts up in one more. three new skulls -- hmmm may have made a mistake in Cheese Valley -- have a few triangles still in place.]

Take Shanghai (+175) and Paoting (+15) and get Fundy with a few buildings -- buy a third of the 400,000 partisans for 220 each.

1776 (5) -- [(Think of all sorts of potential Ben Franklin comments, but pass for someone wittier to offer the slant.) The Chinese flash a plane in Macao, so we’ll go in. Two new skulls, and WL in three more cities. Pop = 36M.]

Take Macao (+202) Nott Oil to Anyang = 299 Senate still supports the war effort -- did the UN envoy only once (need a few more mobile units (and RR, of course) to do this consistently.

Three trucks are yet to move -- possible deliveries or perhaps wait for airfields to be put in place (?)

I think that this one is just about set for cruise.

Looks very nice. :goodjob: It's quite amazing how quickly things can turn around. The Chinese aren't putting up as much of a fight as I thought they might.

Old n Slow said:
1772 (3) [Egyptians try an espionage attempt…and here we are irrigating their lands…

We had some engineers RR a path through egypt so we could have quick access down south, but might I ask why we are now irrigating for them?

Kev said:
I think this means I'm up next, no?
? Do you have turns to make up? Otherwise, I think you are a little further down the original list:

Andu Indorin
Old'n'Slow
Stegyre
Viking
Golem
Tim the Enchanter
Kev
Jayne

Since O'n'S just went, I would be up next, ordinarily.
On the other hand, if you do have a turn to make up, by all means, step in and play. Let's not let a holiday weekend go to waste. (I certainly don't mind. My only concern is that with this many cities, turns take so long that it would be a real travesty if two (or more) people played out the same turns.

Kev said:
Ack - that's my bad. No, nothing to make up on my end. Just lazy and didn't look back.

Have at it.
Well depending on how you look at it, you still have 2 or 3 rounds to make up since you were out so long. ;) That list was the original proposed order and I think the confusion comes from the fact that last round Steg couldn't play and this was the point where you were finally able to jump back in. If you want, we could probably reset the order with you going after Stegyre from now on (if there is a next time around). There's certainly no sense slogging through another set of my turns before you get your second go-round.

Thanks Tim.

I don't mind waiting in an effort to keep things on track. However, I'll be heading to New Orleans from Thursday (6/3) and won't be back until the following Wednesday. If you don't mind my sneaking in there, I can get my tuns done before I leave..

TimTheEnchanter said:
...We had some engineers RR a path through egypt so we could have quick access down south, but might I ask why we are now irrigating for them?

The RR was all done when I came on board -- I thought that they were supposed to provide good will...and maybe pump up some customers' markets.

Otherwise -- ship 'em home. Our "good buddies" are slipping in 'goodness'. :rolleyes:

I am 60% through my turns. The Chinese have lost three more cities and we have a substantial supply of howitzers and barracks on the Chinese continent to continue the war effort, but at this point, I will probably focus on consolidating our gains (building improvements, etc.) and cleaning up all the pollution that ran rampant while we were railroading our invasion route.

So our engineers in Egypt are through, now? I was also wondering what they were doing, but didn't want to disturb someone's plan. I'll ship them home.

I will try to finish tonight.

Not that it really matters, but here's what those Engineers were sent to Egypt for, at least originally.

Andu Indorin said:
In terms of a long-term, strategic project, we might consider a "Portuguese" strategy toward approaching the Zulu civilization, i.e., as soon as our own railnet is complete, devoting a few engineers to establishing a series of "outpost" cities to get us closer to that civilization. The first step would establishing a city in the swamp square northwest of Pi-Ramses (80,56) and another south of Elephantine (84,82); and completing a railway through the Egyptian civilization. From there establishing a series of "outposts" on island 19 (due south of 84,82); and along the west coast of large island 16 (where the isolated city of Ningpo is located) -- the edge of which is located just across the straight from the most recent Barbarian landing; and then a final outpost on the semi-peninsula nnw of the Zulu city of Issus (91,121). I'm guessing that this may be our most effective way of solving the problem of distance to the heartland of the Zulu civ.

The fact that we've had several engineers out there that nobody knew what to do with or why they were there is the type of thing that makes Succession games fun. :crazyeye:

Finally had a chance to look over the save, Old'n'Slow. Solid set of turns. The Chinese are no longer the primary threat to our long term plans.

Can anyone take a guess at which civ I'm thinking is our biggest concern?

Stegyre said:
So our engineers in Egypt are through, now? I was also wondering what they were doing, but didn't want to disturb someone's plan. I'll ship them home.

Yeah, they're more or less finished. I completed two alternative RR routes through Egypt and was bringing up Transports to start expanding southwards toward the Zulus ....

Sorry guys -

I leave for New Orleans tomorrow on business and tonight is my wedding anniversary. Won't be able to jump back in until next Wednesday (9th I believe).

I'll be able to watch and comment from my hotel, but no play for me.

Hope you leave some live targets for me.

Andu Indorin said:
Any preferences? ;)

LOL - nah - just something live and kicking would be good.

I wonder if we might want to add another wrinkle. Keep our military conquests non-nuke. I know that would bum out Viking, but perhaps it might add a further challenge to go purely non-atomic.

Ah well, no matter - whatever you all decide is fun....

Enjoy.

Sorry for the delay: I went out of town before I had the chance to post this:

1776(0) – At war with Romans, Zulus, and Chinese; allied with Egyptians and Mongols. Researching Labor Union. Budget set at 5.1.4. Many cities – too numerous to count. (I was an English Major: even with my socks off, I can’t count that high.) Treasury at 1860. Decide to focus upon building airports at home and abroad and to turn the Chinese cities into a war machine: build barracks and beginning pumping out the howitzers, spies, etc., to eliminate the remaining Chinese, the Zulus, and the Romans.

1778(1) – Egyptians develop Mass Production. Zulus change to Fundamentalism. Mongols report they are now at war with Zulus. Spy takes a look at Anyang after Engineer builds a road to it: defended by 4 ATs and 5 Rs! Anyang liberated after much effort: 183 gp plundered. Chinese sue for peace, but Senate supports continued action to liberate the oppressed Chinese people. Hordes of misguided Chinese partisans take to the surrounding hills. Deliver Salt from Random Settled to Hieracanopolis (not demanded): 131 gp.

1780(2) – Chinese Frigate slays Engineer of Paoting. Mongols develop Amphibious Warfare. Deliver wine caravan from Oxford to Hieracanopolis (d): 574 gp (the beauty of airlifting). Investigate Shantung: 3 rifles, 1 at . . . and it appears to support the frigate responsible for the death of our engineering unit. Shantung captured: 48 gp plundered. Again, the Senate supports the action for the liberation of the oppressed Chinese. Mop up action begins against partisan terrorists.

1782(3) – Chinese sub sinks transport with 8 units, including a number of demanded freights (incl. oil) on their way to Chengdu for delivery. Weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth. Mongols acquire Flight from Chinese. Romans develop Electricity. Chengdu liberated: grateful citizens shower soldiers with 164 gp. We acquire Amphibious Warfare.

1784(4) – Egyptians now at war with Zulus. We discover the secret of Labor Union and begin researching Nuclear Fission (over Advanced Flight and Recycling: want to get nuclear power and increase ship movement by one). Strongly tempted to sell Superhighway in Bourgogne: this city doesn’t have the terrain to justify that improvement – too much hills, forest and tundra. Population now exceeds 52,000,000. Change budget to 5.1.4 to recharge treasury for the next administration. Engineers are put to work cleaning up pollution before global warming strikes. Focus upon improvements in various cities.

1786(5) – Mongols become fundamentalist. Continue cleaning up pollution and developing infrastructure. Send small task force (two armor, two howitzers) to Chengdu, awaiting transport across the strait to occupy Ningpo and Yangchow.

Top Bottom