We Have Nothing to Fear but Fear Itself

There's healthy fear and unhealthy fear.

Healthy Fear is good and is required to stay alive. A good example is the fear of Chuck Norris.

Unhealthy fear is bad and prevents us from achieving our potential. A good example of this is the fear of being poor and desolate.

Know the differences between healthy and unhealthy fear.

loki, your signature says the germans bombed pearl harbor, which i dont know if thats just a joke of something, but it was japan who bombed pearl harbor.

It is a joke-note that it's a quote from 'homo americanus', meaning the average american

The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.

Fear often is all that can drive a proud person to humility. There is always someone stronger than you.

Fear often is all that can drive a proud person to humility. There is always someone stronger than you.
Puglover, I didn't expect this. Wise words

:hatsoff:

Don't be afraid of fear, only embrase it. Fear is what keeps our society moving. Without fear the world would be in chaos. How? Well, we follow laws because we fear of punishment.

I don't think this is anything to be particularly supportive of. A society in which the only thing stopping people committing crimes is fear of retribution is a society of opportunistic criminals, who don't do bad things because they are bad, but because someone is looking.

My personal morality is (as much as possible) independent of the law of wherever I happen to be. There are laws I obey because they are in my eyes sensible, such as 'don't rape'; there are also laws I disagree with and which I have very little regard for. Of course by no means will I smoke a joint in front of the police, but this is not so much because of 'fear' but because it's a stupid thing to do. That is to say, the consequence is obvious; I don't fear it like I don't fear the result of shooting myself in the face, I just don't do it.

We follow trends because we fear of disclusion, we follow God because we fear of hell and purgatory. Without fear, our lives, our Earth would fall apart. Do you agree with my philosophy? Tell me why, or why not.

To an extent you are right about following trends. However speaking for myself I don't follow any god so I can't understand the fear of the underworld.

Basically, this:

I think its important that fear exist, but it isn't the backbone of everything like you suggest.

... but not this:

There is nothing to be afraid of other than everything that one can be afraid of !

:p:p:p:crazyeye::crazyeye:

Fear is a good thing when it makes sense, it keeps us alive...

But when Fear is weilding as a tool by others (Clergy, Government, Ect) it tends to exacerbate things... Fear can keep us alive but panic tends to lead to poor decisions and at times prejudice.

The fear of God has prevented progress in humanity more than it has helped progress it. The fear of God has been the main cause of misery in course of humanity. Religion just uses fear to keep people in check like any other institution that has power.

I don't think this is anything to be particularly supportive of. A society in which the only thing stopping people committing crimes is fear of retribution is a society of opportunistic criminals, who don't do bad things because they are bad, but because someone is looking.

My personal morality is (as much as possible) independent of the law of wherever I happen to be. There are laws I obey because they are in my eyes sensible, such as 'don't rape'; there are also laws I disagree with and which I have very little regard for. Of course by no means will I smoke a joint in front of the police, but this is not so much because of 'fear' but because it's a stupid thing to do. That is to say, the consequence is obvious; I don't fear it like I don't fear the result of shooting myself in the face, I just don't do it.

To an extent you are right about following trends. However speaking for myself I don't follow any god so I can't understand the fear of the underworld.

Basically, this:

... but not this:

yeah, the god part doesnt apply to everyone. in my eyes, it would be nice if it did. :) but i can understand why someone wouldn't believe in god, but it goes both ways, why should i believe that the universe was created by a big bang, or that evolution took place? instead of leaning either way, i choose to believe that god created the universe with the big bang, and humanity with evolution. (not adam and eve) this goes for much more, but those were just examples.

The fear of God has prevented progress in humanity more than it has helped progress it. The fear of God has been the main cause of misery in course of humanity. Religion just uses fear to keep people in check like any other institution that has power.

religion isnt an institution, religion is belief usually in a higher being, spirit, etc.

He's an abusive but protective father. In the image of the men's who wrote the Bible probably.

Top Bottom