What are you watching on Youtube right now? Part III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but..

He's talking at cross purposes with himself, I think.

For example, he talks about people not really wanting to be happy, but then describes a situation of preoccupation and self-forgetting which could precisely be described as happiness.

And people not really wanting what they think they want? Depends what you call "wanting", doesn't it?

Still,

Link to video.

Yeah, but..

He's talking at cross purposes with himself, I think.

For example, he talks about people not really wanting to be happy, but then describes a situation of preoccupation and self-forgetting which could precisely be described as happiness.
That is what I thought. But then it is perhaps more adequate to interpret him as saying that the conventional stereo-type of happiness is misleading as a goal of which pursuement (I know not a word - live with it :p) supposedly then also achieved happiness.
I think what he is saying is that one can not pursue to be happy. That to be happy, to then also set out to be just that was the wrong - but temptingly straight-forward - way to approach it. Pursue something else. For instance to "be interesting". Or pursue to be very self-sufficient by renouncing all sorts of material goods. Or pursue to make a successful business etcetera. Perhaps instead of the "pursue of happiness" one needs a "pursue of meaning".
What this comes down to IMO is that we confuse what we need with what we want. But what we need is IMO the way to getting what we want while what we want only serves as a necessary orientation and motivation to go the way and give us by going it what we need.
That means that happiness - as a thing that we need - can not be the goal of our way. It can only be the way.

"Pursuit" may be a useful word sometimes.

For me, if I stop and think and find myself feeling unhappy, I think that's a really good sign that what I'm doing (or my attitude toward it) is wrong.

I agree that happiness itself isn't a goal. Though really it is. It's just that you can't think to yourself: "Right, now I'm going after happiness".

Link to video.

What strikes me about this is how different it would sound if a constitution did not give the people the "right" to pursue happiness but when it instead said that the people should have the right to live happy. And then I look at it and notice that the former is kinda misleading but in line with capitalistic ideology while the latter is more to the point but not so capitalistically spirited.

Yeah. I can understand that.

Having long been a Russell Brand... er... hater's too strong a word... but I can't think of the right one, atm... (especially after the Jonathan Ross debacle)...

... anti-fan, I've lately begun to come round a bit.

I can see why he would annoy (Rather hard not to) especially when exposed to it in large quantities

That Paxman interview was quite good as well. I'll not repost it to keep the quantity in check.

I'm boggled by how good this guy's voice is. Normally, I'd assume studio remixing, but this totally doesn't seem lip-synced. Or, honestly, if it is that would be a super-human talent. Like, man, what a voice

If anyone wants to confirm, I'd appreciate it. I wonder if I've just gone mad.

Link to video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom