What are your political leanings?

What are your political leanings?

• Total voters
Invest in property or share market.
Yeah, like I said, there are a variety of savings instruments available. People who're complaining about low interest rates seem to be either not factoring in inflation OR they're refusing to pick between risk and security. If you want high interest on your savings, it takes risk

Yeah, see, you don't understand how this works. Taxes don't give the federal government money to play with.
Jesus Christ, you still have not outgrown this MMT thing?

BTW how does MMT account for the fact that the US with a relatively low government spending of 35% of GDP has a very low unemployment, while France with 57% and Italy with 49% both have very high? Or that many countries running surpluses have full employment while others at the same level of development but running big deficits have huge unemployment?

Neither France nor Italy have a sovereign currency. Also, MMT says very little about the % of spending should be done by the government.

Which countries running surpluses have full employment?

Jesus Christ, you still have not outgrown this MMT thing?

The sad thing is you will likely never outgrow that neoclassical thing.

BTW how does MMT account for the fact that the US with a relatively low government spending of 35% of GDP has a very low unemployment, while France with 57% and Italy with 49% both have very high? Or that many countries running surpluses have full employment while others at the same level of development but running big deficits have huge unemployment?

I see you can't outgrow the strawmen either. Sad!

After last night's clinic on the Theory of the Firm I am eagerly awaiting what I am sure will be a well thought out reply on Monetary Economics. :popcorn:

Which countries running surpluses have full employment?
Budgets and unemployment rates, respectively. Here are three countries running surpluses and four running budget deficits.

Germany:
Surplus: 0.7% of GDP, unemployment rate 3.3%

Korea:
Surplus: 0.6% of GDP, unemployment rate 4.9%

Netherlands:
Surplus: 0.6% of GDP, unemployment rate 3.2%

Spain:
Deficit: 2.3% of GDP, unemployment rate 9.7%

France:
Deficit: 3.1% of GDP, unemployment rate 8.9%

United States:
Deficit: 4.6% of GDP, unemployment rate 3.5%

Japan:
Deficit: 4.7% of GDP, unemployment rate 2.4%

Analysis: insufficient evidence to suppose a direct causal relationship between budget deficits and unemployment rates.

Of those surpluses, two would be germane to the discussion of MMT. Both the Netherlands and Korea have sovereign currencies. S.Korea is pretty complicated, but would be a good test case. So would the Netherlands.

I believe Japan has employed for some time now an expansionist monetary policy and has failed to meet its growth targets almost every time.

MMT sounds nice in theory until you realize policy and spending decisions are made by human actors.

I'll be out of town for a few days but please remind me to graph the data next weekend.
Remember to include countries with huge deficits and huge unemployment (Brazil, Argentina, etc), as well as those with surpluses and full employment (see the big list I sent).

There is no correlation, let alone causation.

No, I'm looking forward to disappointing everyone with my own unique data manipulation.

But in all seriousness, no matter how I graph it, people will still complain and tell me I've done something bad for bad reasons.

Moderator Action: The MMT thread is now located here.

I am a left leaning libertarian of the Georgist School.

That means I support Classical Liberalism in its purest, most radical form, which is quite different from what most people today consider either Liberalism or Classical Liberalism. I recognize a right to property in the fruit of one's own labor but also a common right to the gifts of nature, such that those who deprive others of equal access to nature by polluting or enclosing the commons must be made to compensate the dispossessed though some mix of direct payments (citizens'/residents' dividend/UBI) and public goods. Generally I err more on the side of providing a higher basic income rather than public goods, as no goods are equally valued by all members of society, but economies of scale may make the provision of some goods more justified. (I hate rhetoric calling for universal healthcare, or anything else that requires the labor of other humans, to be considered a basic human right; I am however quite willing to admit that public provision may be justifiable and far superior to the status quo system run by rent seeking corporations.)

I suppose Pigouvian taxes on negative externalities like pollution as well as land value taxes.

I suppose you could say I am also a Philosophical Anarchist. I'd prefer an anarchist form of Georgism but think a minarchist form is probably more feasible and still far superior to non-Geoist conceptions of Anarchism. Landlords in a Rothbardian Anarcho-Capitalist system and unions in Anarcho-Syndicalism are more State-like than a democratic state bound by a Georgist constitution.

I like the idea of arbitrarily small units being allowed to secede, but tend to dislike the motives of most secessionist movements.

I hate Nationalism in all its forms.

I'd prefer there be no sort of birthright citizenship, only contracts entered into with informed consent, but dislike jus sanquinis more than jus solis.

I strongly support Open Borders. If any state wants to keep people out, it needs to compensate all those who would otherwise immigrate. A state restricting migration is acting as a landlord on a grand scale.

I like free trade but hate so-called free trade agreements. I have no respect for those who claim to support free trade but do not want laborers to move as freely as capital.

I oppose the de jure monopolies commonly called Intellectual Property. It is better for the State to fund research directly than to incentivize private businesses by allowing them to prevent competition.

I'd prefer to live in a society with no alcohol or other recreational drugs, but recognize that enforcing laws against the use or trade in such substances has even worse effects.

I prefer unions act as mutual aid societies more than engaging in collective bargaining in which they may act to restrict employment opportunities of non-members.

gay luxury space communism isn't an option?

Hmmmmn, face-time in front of a judge is excludable and rivalrous. Same with time talking to a detective.
If your name is Jack the Ripper, maybe a lot of people are being provided a service by you getting some face-time in front of a judge. And it does not matter how many of these beneficiaries paid, they all get to feel a little safer. In fact it would be difficult to sort out the people paying the judge's and detectives' salaries, and then turn Jack the Ripper loose among those who didn't pay, without sabotaging the good.

After much deliberation I finally went with "Fiscal Libertarian, Social Conservative", despite still not really fully grasping what a Libertarian actually is, and having at least 5 other options I felt I could have gone for. In fact even as I write this I'm thinking that was the wrong choice, but never mind.

So there.

After much deliberation I finally went with "Fiscal Libertarian, Social Conservative", despite still not really fully grasping what a Libertarian actually is, and having at least 5 other options I felt I could have gone for. In fact even as I write this I'm thinking that was the wrong choice, but never mind.

So there.

I suggest "Fiscally Corporatist, Socially Sellout Fake Façade of Conservativism for Ulterior Motive Propaganda," myself.

Top Bottom