1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What does the American Conservative stand for anymore?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Yeah, the last actual "compassionate conservative" I remember in the States was Jack Kemp. That was quite a while ago, it's almost nonexistent today. Recently, when they controlled the House they needed a lot of pushing just to fund the CHIP program. Things Trump and other conservatives say about Muslims are things GW Bush warned may happen and we should guard against. When the tax cut passed Paul Ryan claimed The way to balance this was "entitlement reform" and voters would have to be pretty foolish to not know what that means. The ACA "hurt" red states because Republican governors turned down The optional Medicaid expansion. Compassionate conservatism died with the advent of the Tea Party and The Freedom Caucus.

The actual voters may have compassion but they continue to vote for politicians with none. That just comes back to my point that the voters often have a single issue, maybe a couple, that draws them in and gets them to vote against programs they personally benefit from.

Cutlass, Hygro and Estebonrober like this.
  2. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

The original Buffy the Vampire Slayer Kristy Swanson is mad because a teacher at her son's school doesn't recite the Pledge of Allegiance and tells the children they can skip it too. Thats conservatism in a nutshell, scream bloody murder about Marxist cultural indoctrination while demanding other people's children stand and pledge allegiance to the state.

3. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

1) I've never opined that you don't speak intelligibly. I've commiserated with others who have found you opaque and shared my one heuristic for comprehending Farm Boy posts.
    2) I've never actually translated you, just expressed my earnest hope that some day I will be able to. I want to write a "How to Decipher a Farm Boy Post" guide. I'm studying.
    3) not as an English professor, but more like that grey-haired woman on "Airplane!" who speaks jive, I will endeavor this one time to translate.
    4) nothing good will come of my attempt:

Cloud Strife, Farm Boy has had a life experience that would incline him to prefer "impending" to your "hypothetical." You may at some point have that same experience, and it may have an impact on your favored nomenclature and where on the line you place your X.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 at 8:12 PM
    tjs282 likes this.
  4. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

That people on here are incapable of even discussing the issue the OP brings up in favor of castigating all conservatives as market theocrats says everything that can be said about the possibility of "dialogue" with the left.

As for my thoughts on the subject, I would welcome a civil war/secession at this point if conservatives were serious about carving out a space for a better society, much less reviving America. Unfortunately those like French and his allies - conservatives who continue to benefit from a free-market society - will probably put a halt to any meaningful action. The best thing to do is probably a Benedict Option-style retreat from mainstream society until birthrates do the work for us (which will take about a century, but it's coming).

Hopefully it'll at least purify conservatives of all the corrupting baggage that comes with being dominant in a society, such as support for corporations, involvement in foolish foreign policy crusades, etc.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 6:35 AM
  5. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Chieftain

No you sharing what you stand for is actually what I'm asking for in the question. You are another type of conservative that does not fit in well with conventional ideas of conservative for the last 40 years (mind you I am in the US and the point of the thread is that the label is so widespread and in many cases diametrically opposed with itself (especially in principles)). I mean from my reading of your posts I take you to be a more socially minded reactionary conservative type with a strong desire to see Israel be dominant over its neighbors.

6. Mouthwash

I mean, I have more pressing policy issues on my mind than that, but yeah. You didn't intend for the Ahmari-French thing to be the topic of discussion?

7. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Chieftain

Sure I did, it seems to me that two very big parts of conservatism especially in the US only have nationalism left in common anymore. Otherwise their thoughts on things and their mannerisms about things are shifting away from each other pretty quickly.

8. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

"Liberals portray conservatives as fanatics! Anyway, we should start a civil war to purge the unworthy."

9. Mouthwash

The colonized have a right to self-defense, do they not?

10. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

They do not have a right to live out some half-cocked fantasy of national regeneration through bloodshed, no.

Cloud_Strife and hobbsyoyo like this.
  11. Mouthwash

That's not better than a market-enforced regime of overdoses, suicides, and now apparently pedophile grooming?

12. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

We've been living under conservative rule for 40 years so you tell me dude.

Cloud_Strife, hobbsyoyo and Lexicus like this.
  13. Mouthwash

The left has held absolute cultural power for fifteen years and absolute judicial power for ten. At the moment they're taking away conservative economic power at a breakneck pace. We still have the advantage in the executive and legislature, but those are hardly under our thumb.

14. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Ask the Palestinians.

15. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Conservative political power and judicial power haven't been this strong in 100 years in the US. They are at their absolute peak.

16. Mouthwash

You're a true debate virtuoso, Cutlass.

17. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

That article says nothing about taking away conservative economic power.
    The Republican Party's Congressional power delivered a Republican supreme court against who was supposed to appoint justices, something Democrats never do.
    Yes the majority of Americans are mildly political, progressive American exceptionalists, so the news and media sell to that. Hardly a meaningful "absolute cultural power."

How you think civil war is superior to economic revitalization and a science driven healthcare regime (there's no opiate crisis in California...) when conservative policies drove this reality is some kind of dark and twisted fantasy. We've lived in a thriving America before and it was the most politically leftwing time in America. Not coincidentally I suspect, also the time when the majority were the most personally conservative.

Estebonrober likes this.
  18. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Free market? The party that favors oil subsidies, awards no bid contracts and is led by "Tariff Man" is for the free market? Sounds pretty delusional to me.

MagisterCultuum likes this.
  19. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Chieftain

There's that concept in fascism where the enemy is simultaneously strong and overpowering whilst also weak and ready to be beaten, which can be clearly seen in mouthwashes posts.

Also lol, literally advocating for a "conservative" state via civil war, I'm totally sure that said state wouldn't be riddled with racial, sexual and religious intolerance

Cutlass, El_Machinae and Socrates99 like this.
  20. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Chieftain