What is your "ideal" constitution?

Which again wouldn't be necessarily with PR of a decently high district magnitude.

But yeah, does Canada draw weird electoral boundaries to maximise ethnic representation?

Actually, we apparently don't seem to have it anymore..
Wikipedia said:
Gerrymandering used to be prominent in Canadian politics, but is no longer prominent, after independent electoral boundary redistribution commissions were established in all provinces.[85][86] Early in Canadian history, both the federal and provincial levels used gerrymandering to try to maximize partisan power. When Alberta and Saskatchewan were admitted to Confederation in 1905, their original district boundaries were set forth in the respective Alberta and Saskatchewan Acts. Federal Liberal cabinet members devised the boundaries to ensure the election of provincial Liberal governments.[87] British Columbia used a combination of single-member and dual-member constituencies to solidify the power of the centre-right British Columbia Social Credit Party until 1991.

Since responsibility for drawing federal and provincial electoral boundaries was handed over to independent agencies, the problem has largely been eliminated at those levels of government. Manitoba was the first province to authorize a non-partisan group to define constituency boundaries in the 1950s.[85] In 1964, the federal government delegated the drawing of boundaries for federal electoral districts to the non-partisan agency Elections Canada which answers to Parliament rather than the government of the day.

As a result, gerrymandering is not generally a major issue in Canada except at the civic level.[88] Although city wards are recommended by independent agencies, city councils occasionally overrule them. That is much more likely if the city is not homogenous and different neighborhoods have sharply different opinions about city policy direction.

In 2006, a controversy arose in Prince Edward Island over the provincial government's decision to throw out an electoral map drawn by an independent commission. Instead, they created two new maps. The government adopted the second of them, which was designed by the caucus of the governing Progressive Conservative Party of Prince Edward Island. Opposition parties and the media attacked Premier Pat Binns for what they saw as gerrymandering of districts. Among other things, the government adopted a map that ensured that every current Member of the Legislative Assembly from the premier's party had a district to run in for re-election, but in the original map, several had been redistricted.[89] However, in the 2007 provincial election only seven of 20 incumbent Members of the Legislative Assembly were re-elected (seven did not run for re-election), and the government was defeated.
probably should have looked that up before posting but meh.

Some of those are some pretty surprisingly recent dates though! Today I learned a thing

This phrase appears in the Declaration of Independence, not in the US Constitution
Er.... The Founding Fathers got the right idea than ! It's about time ! 17 hundred years after Christ is born for a politician to have a right idea !

edit: and only as it appears only under pressure from his colonial overlords ..... sad...

I envy America's Their Founding Fathers - They were truly politicians doing good, and not in for the money or status .

Were they be doing this out of their heart or under pressure , struggling to be free ?

Funny thing is I know more of the amendments rather than the original one .... though I am European I didn't learned at school much about it .

Last edited by a moderator:
I envy America's Their Founding Fathers - They were truly politicians doing good, and not in for the money or status .
This is emphatically not true, they just represented a cultural context in which civic virtue was not assumed to be in contradiction to personal ambition, so they could be sincere reformers and ambitious self-aggrandisers in the same moment. It's really only over the course of the nineteenth century that the idea of public service as a professional vocation emerges; in this era, it was something that men of status did to demonstrate and enhance their standing within a political community.

Top Bottom