1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What other Civs would you like to see added to DoC

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by AtlantaMarty, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I would characterise none of the existing civs as something that broke away from Rome in something resembling civil war though.

2. Bautos42

Bautos42 Warlord

My personalities favourites are a Turkic Civilization and a medieval Egypt respawn. Both would nit even require additional Civ slots, therefore they could in Theory even be implemented before Leoreth reworks the slot system, and would not impact performance. The Turks would simply be a playable, expanded version of the Seljuks.
    Egypt already has a respawn, making it playable would not be that hard, as the core, historical area and Leaders are already implemented. There certainly would ve enough space for medueval Egypt, and it was importabt enough to merit inclusion. I would not limit the Egyptian respawn to the Mamlucks, but also represent the Fatimids and Ayubbiids. Also, Saladin could finnaly become an Egyptian Leader. :lol:
    Finally, I'm strongly in favor of adding a Tartar/Golden Horde -Civilication and splitting Russia into Muscowy and Kievan Rus, as this would make medieval Russia both more interesting and accuarte.
    Other Civilications that I think would both add to the game and acctually be feasible are Australia (obviously), a Boer Republics/South African Civilications, a Manchu civilication, a playable Incan respawn as Peru, a post Mongol China respawn (Ming/Qing/Republic of China/PRC), Sweden, Austria and a Swahili Coast civilication. (Maybe also a playavle Indian respawn)

I personally don't think a civilication from the Balkan would work, as there just is not enough space. Romania or Macedonia would not even have space for their capital, and Hungary or Serbia would be basically OCC, wich does not seem fitting for these civilizations.

I don't think the Zulu would work either, as they both don't have enough Space and would probably spawn to late (around 1800). I think that's just to late for a pre-colonial civilication (Same argument for many native American Civilications).

3. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Warlord

Re: Keivan Rus.
    Again, I would implement if the Vikings hold Kiev, maybe spawn as vassal? Also, given our current map, the area is a bit small for Poland, Keivan Rus/Ukraine, and Russia. Not to mention the Byzantine/Turkish, German, and Viking/Sweden involvement in that area.

I think the Khazars could be fitting. In part because they could populate an area of the game that is often ignored (meaning that they won't cause too much havoc and could create a nice interaction)

Given that we have the Harappa & the Polynesia, why not the Mississippian? They could be extinguished as a result of a conqueror event. Would the tile improvements be too OP for the Americans?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

It's not true exactly that I could "easily" use existing slots for civs already. There's a reason that respawns like Peru and Egypt are so shoddy and unpolished right now. If civs are uncoupled from slots, it's also easy to make a "Peru" or "Misr" (or whatever else you want to call the medieval Egypt respawn) civ with its own leaders, units, flag, colour and so on, including modifiers. Otherwise that kind of thing is either impossible or not worth the effort.

5. star15389

star15389 Prince

I really don't see a reason to add Kievan Rus. Historically they spawned and died within a few dozen turns and then respawned as Ukraine a few turns before the end of the game. If we really want to represent them Russia can just spawn on the Kiev tile instead o the Moscow tile

Kojinesha, 1SDAN and inthesomeday like this.
  6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

This thread motivated me to organise and prioritise which civs I would start to add when possible.

Zaduzai and ales_ like this.
  7. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Warlord

Awesome! I know that you've been eyeing a Turkic/central Asian civs for some time. I look forward to seeing which you choose for that department.

8. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

You're not the only one. :lol: In fact, I already started.

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

... I'll probably intentionally ignore any modmods that come out in the meantime to not get influenced too much.

10. Malchar

Malchar Prince

I will vigorously debate both sides of the argument until it is resolved :crazyeye:

11. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

The map of DoC is a little too small to add new civs. If the map is the GEM(Giant Earth Map), then we could have more options. Now the number of civs is just right, if there must be some new civs, I would suggest new civs replace old civs in history, for example, Italy and Rome, Iran and Persia, Modern China and China, Modern India and India(those two are my suggestion, although they're more likely to be a country than a civ).

Also, for new civ, I suggest Jurchen(Qing Dynasty) and Sweden, we have already make a modmod of DoC-Jurchen in 1.13 version. I also remember merijn has make a Sweden modmod in 1.12.

Jurchen modmod in 1.13: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4355640315
    Download: http://pan.baidu.com/s/1c1pab1u

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  12. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

China and India already have different leaders for the modern era - no need to create separate civs.

Different UHVs for the 1700 AD start would be nice, though.

For China it could be something like:
    1. Have the highest production of all civs in 2000
    2. Be one of the top three economies in 2000
    3. Achieve legendary culture in Peking

Though you could replace one of the first two with some goal related to trade in Canton, if you don't want the 1700 AD's China's goals to be too PRC-heavy.

A Manchurian/Jurchen civilization would be nice, with the original Chinese civilization respawning c. 1910.

I'm not sure that having two Scandinavian civilizations would fit on the map.

Zaduzai likes this.
  13. Ecthy

Ecthy Warlord

I believe it obvious that next to a Turkic civ, we need Judaea / Israel in this game. With UHVs both in antiquity and the modern era (respawn wise lol).

Judaism remains the only religion without at least one civ to have practices it in real life. Jerusalem is even in the game, and is doomed to be either independent or colonized by neighbouring powers.

Naples/Sicily is for RFCE, obviously. Go Hauteville!

14. ozqar

ozqar King

But Scandinavia is huge in the game, there's plenty of room to have two civs (even three, but I don't think there's a historical justification to have three). Moreover, without a division between Sweden-Finland and Denmark-Norway, they can be quite overpowered.

Another idea, would it be possible to double the amount of turns in the late game, say everything from 1900 onwards, or the last 100 turns of the game, etc? That would make it more viable to play with modern, respawned civs.

15. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

I agree with Sweden and I agree with extending the modern period. For me that's the period that's most fun and if it were extended there would be room for mechanics like World Wars, Cold Wars, decolonization, terrorism, and climate change. Plus in lower difficulty levels AI can't keep up with the right tech level towards the end of the game.

Back to Sweden, it seems like the Norse are overpowered in ~60% of my games, often conquering ahistorical territory in the Balkans and Poland and holding onto Russian and German territory way too long.

16. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Warlord

Okay so I have two major problems with the inclusion of a Judean civ. 1) The map. As it stands the area around Jerusalem is significantly tiny. Even under a proposed G.E.M., the city or civ would need substantial support in order for it to produce things (that is to say, for the game to be fun). and 2) The game play. Judea, or to be exact, Yerushalem, would be a One City Challenge. Sure you could capture Sur to the north and maybe settle Sinai. But as a civ you are essentially on the same time scale in-game as Babylon, and will likely loose to the Persians, Greeks, Roman, Byzantine, or Arab Spawns. And if you are alive 5 turns before the Persian spawn, you are already in alternate history land. Maybe you can resurface for 10 turns for the Hasmonean Dynasty, but even Herod was a Roman Vassal. So, no, WE "need Judaea / Israel in this game." But the GAME does not need nor encourages them to exist. That is the sad reality here.

If you want a Jewish Civ, I propose the Khazar. That civ spawns a few turns before the Arabs, has a core area (caucus mountains) that is usually not populated, and already has an easy to identify UHV (Such as control the Pontic–Caspian steppe, and have no barbarians there). The civ will be in conflict with the AI vikings & (I'd argue) AI Arabs & Byzantines. Heck, there is a Civ 4 mod for them: HERE (though in my opinion the art is a bit weak).

Here is my rough draft for them:
    UU: Arsiyah (Cavalry)
    UB: Qaghan Beg (lit. the house of the Qaghan. According to Ahmad Ibn Fadlan, the Khazars were led by two simutinious leaders, a Malik/Melekh who was in charge of legislative authority and trade, and the Qaghan (Khagan). The Qaghan was a spiritual and military leader who ruled from his semi-nomadic home or beg. Therefore the Qaghan Beg easily replaces the courthouse, stables, or Barracks)

Power: Power of Correspondence, each temple produces an extra trade route. -50% unhappiness from non-state religions

UHV 1: Control X cities by 750 CE
    UHV 2: Have X commerce in your capital by 950 CE
    UHV 3: Build a Jewish Academy in Kiev

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  17. Lokki242

Lokki242 That One Guy

From a thread I made a few months ago...

Spoiler :

For an inclusive list of all the civs I personally would enjoy playing, even if none of them are feasible;
    Spoiler :
    Iroqouis Confederacy
    Sweden
    The Sioux
    Australia
    South Africa
    Central Asian Turkish Civ (playable respawn as Timurids)
    Celts (playable respawn as Scotland)
    Modern Greek Respawn
    Mamluks (Egyptian Respawn)
    Armenia
    Playable Peru
    Modern Arabian Respawn
    Modern Indian Respawn
    Pakistan (Mughal Respawn)
    Split China into "Ancient' China, the Ming and the People's Republic
    Modern Israel (as OOC)

I really enjoy the suggestions of Khazars, Hungary and Modern Iraq
    EDIT: I also like the Inuit and Amazon Tribe suggestions, who I have also considered before but left out of my list because I thought I was the only one who'd want them :lol:

inthesomeday likes this.
  18. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

It would make a lot more sense to have the Celts respawn as Ireland, given that Scotland is not an independent state.

19. Lokki242

Lokki242 That One Guy

I disagree. Scotland has frankly had a larger impact (imo), a more varied dynamic with England, would be easier to represent, and was independent through most of the 1000s-1600s (which is what I intended them for)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  20. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That might already be different when I get time to implement that :)

ales_ likes this.