What other Civs would you like to see added to DoC

Imo the peoples that really need to be represented are the southern Slavs. Really unfortunate that history there goes Roman -> Byzantine/HRE -> Ottoman/Austria with no medieval or industrial era native civs. Some serious gameplay difficulties both in terms of the map and coming up with distinct UHVs for as many as four different justifiable civs I admit but at least Serbia should be there
never large enough in terms of territory.

Serbia's probably best for Southern Slav representation, but I'd argue Romania or Bulgaria should be used to represent the Balkans-- or, actually, the Magyar/Hungarians would probably be best.

Serbia's probably best for Southern Slav representation, but I'd argue Romania or Bulgaria should be used to represent the Balkans-- or, actually, the Magyar/Hungarians would probably be best.
none of those controlled enough territory. still only 2 cities big.

Magyars/Hungarian aren't Slavs. In fact, the Magyar language isn't even Indo-European - it's closest relatives are Finnish, Saami, Estonian, and a bunch of languages of minority groups in the European part of the Russian Federation.

Magyars/Hungarian aren't Slavs. In fact, the Magyar language isn't even Indo-European - it's closest relatives are Finnish, Saami, Estonian, and a bunch of languages of minority groups in the European part of the Russian Federation.
Actually, Romanians aren't Slavs for that matter either.

Recent update: still not on top of my priority list, and dependent on other changes.

On that note, would it be possible @Leoreth to redesign how civs work, as I know you're going to work on that sometime, so that it'd be feasible to have civs that only control 2 or so cities in the later eras?

What do you have in mind?

Any recent updates on breaking up the Vikings into Denmark/Norway and Sweden?

I updated my Swedish modcomp to the latest git version, which is now on my local git. I did not launch it yet, because I want to release it when the new spawning mechanics are up. Also, the tech balance is a bit of now. It is much easier to balance Sweden if I base it on a version which is balanced itself.

I also got a Swahili civ which is in the same state as Sweden.

What do you have in mind?

I was thinking if it was possible, find some way to represent smaller civs as individual nations without making a huge impact on performance.

I'm not exactly sure what is the most impactful in performance when adding an extra civ, so I have no idea how one would tailor smaller civs for performance.

I've always been so amazed by how this game tries to simulate real history, and I think if we could start adding the smaller civs, that'd be really cool.

Oh, I thought you were talking about things like tech speed etc. Additional civs will always come at a performance cost. The only thing to do against that is either try to optimise the code or cut other features that are performance heavy.

Oh, I thought you were talking about things like tech speed etc. Additional civs will always come at a performance cost. The only thing to do against that is either try to optimise the code or cut other features that are performance heavy.

So do you think it would be possible to optimise the code, and if necessary limit the smaller civ's gameplay options, to the point it would be feasible to have these kinds of small civs in the later eras? It'd be really cool to see things like the afformentioned Serbia represented, given they are historically relevant enough. I know nothing about Serbia, so I'm not one to argue their inclusion. I just think it'd be awesome if you could find a way to make the game run well whilst allowing for these kinds of things.

I don't know. I don't even know what the performance impact of doing something like this would be.

I don't know. I don't even know what the performance impact of doing something like this would be.

Me neither. It may be a good idea to see what the community thinks are the most historically impactful small nations for each era just to get an idea what we'd be looking to accomplish.

May I make a thread discussing said small civs? I know this thread discusses adding civs in general already, but it may be a good idea to redirect discussions about tiny civs to another thread. Even if nothing comes of my idea, it'd make a place for people to discuss these ideas without others telling them their choice's territory is too small.

Sure, you don't have to ask for permission to start threads here.

Me neither. It may be a good idea to see what the community thinks are the most historically impactful small nations for each era just to get an idea what we'd be looking to accomplish.

May I make a thread discussing said small civs? I know this thread discusses adding civs in general already, but it may be a good idea to redirect discussions about tiny civs to another thread. Even if nothing comes of my idea, it'd make a place for people to discuss these ideas without others telling them their choice's territory is too small.
Sure, you don't have to ask for permission to start threads here.
I'm going to honest with you. I've been playing Civ-style strategy games since I got my first Windows PC (Windows 95) back in the late '90's, and Civ2 was the very first game I bought for it. And I don't play them to slavishly re-tread the tracks of history in a binding, chained way. Having civ-specific benefits, flavour, and abilities is one thing, but artificially limiting their POSSIBLE growth ability just because in history they had been small is not something I can get on board with. If I want to, say, carve out a large, globe-spanning empire with Serbian Tsar Stefan Dusan, and my playing skill and strategy is up to snuff, why should I have some artificial limit in the mechanics of the game stopping me from being such a successful, large-scale conqueror because people say, "Serbia was small in history, it has to be capped to be small in-game?"

I'm going to honest with you. I've been playing Civ-style strategy games since I got my first Windows PC (Windows 95) back in the late '90's, and Civ2 was the very first game I bought for it. And I don't play them to slavishly re-tread the tracks of history in a binding, chained way. Having civ-specific benefits, flavour, and abilities is one thing, but artificially limiting their POSSIBLE growth ability just because in history they had been small is not something I can get on board with. If I want to, say, carve out a large, globe-spanning empire with Serbian Tsar Stefan Dusan, and my playing skill and strategy is up to snuff, why should I have some artificial limit in the mechanics of the game stopping me from being such a successful, large-scale conqueror because people say, "Serbia was small in history, it has to be capped to be small in-game?"

Of course it's always fun to break history, but I think whats fun about DoC is that the AI is supposed to simulate history but the player can break it at will.

Of course it's always fun to break history, but I think whats fun about DoC is that the AI is supposed to simulate history but the player can break it at will.
I disagree with that as well. I remember back in Civ2, struggling for world domination in the Modern Age, and even competing for the space against, against Mongol, Aztec, and Celtic AI opponents. That was fun. Boadicea and Montezuma each beat me to Alpha Centauri at least once each in my earlier games, in fact. But, maybe we're at a disagreement on these issues there.

Top Bottom