What television shows are you watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EgonSpengler

Deity
From another thread:

SELL ME ON A NEW SHOW!

... and I thought I'd open it up to everyone.

Some people say that we're in a "Golden Age" of television, because there's so much content available, and so many ways to access it. To me, it's more of an "Industrial Age."

I've heard/read that at the recent "TCAs" (the annual Television Critics Association event) there were four hundred scripted series on the 2015-2016 schedule. If you watched television 12 hours a day, every day, you wouldn't be able to watch everything. (And that's just American television, with a dollop of British and Canadian shows, and doesn't even count old shows available through streaming services.)

For all the television that I watch, there aren't many (any?) shows I would really miss if they were cancelled tomorrow. I drop shows like a stone all the time, searching for the one that'll grab me by the... er... lapels.

Networks and streaming services are struggling with advertising, viewership numbers, business models, scheduling. You name it, the industry is banging on it, bending it, trying to make it profitable. Content producers are throwing everything at the wall, trying to see what sticks. There seems to be a show for every niche, and they're looking for new niches, too. Meanwhile, we the viewers are trying to drink from the proverbial firehose.

tl;dr - What television shows do you like to watch? Why do you like them, who would you recommend them to, and where can we find them?

I haven't watched TV proper since the analog-digitial shift in 2009, but I collect DVD collections on the cheap. I'm about to start the fifth season of The Office and the ninth season of How I Met Your Mother, followed by the fifth, third, and third seasons of Little Mosque on the Prairie, Jeeves and Wooster, and The Wonder Years, respectively.

Downton Abby is the only show I watch that still airs, but it only has one more season.

I never watch anything on a TV, but I do have several TV-series on DVD. The only one I am currently still watching is "The Big Bang Theory", and I usually watch it on the side while I browse the internet. The lowbrow humour works well when I just want something to "half-watch" while I do something else and it doesn't do the "kill off likeable characters for cheap shock value" that is so prevelant in so many shows.

I also "cut the cord" a couple of years ago, which has cut me off from some things I'd probably watch. AMC, BBC America, and SyFy have some shows I know I'd like. There are a few of those shows that I'm able to see, such as Turn and Halt and Catch Fire.

Lately I've been watching Friday Night Lights, which aired on NBC 2006-2011, and is currently streaming on Netflix. Just as good sports movies are never about the sport, per se, it's a very good character drama that almost makes me want to watch football. :p Well written, well acted, well directed. Insanely good-looking people of both sexes, but that's American television, for better or for worse. Lots of closeups and a little bit of "shaky cam", both of which aggravate some people, but I like the directing and photography. For me, the ages of the actors playing high school kids is a little bit distracting - most of them were the age of graduate students - but it's by no means a deal-breaker. Overall it's the best show I can recommend right now, provided you have a way of watching it.

Hannibal just ended, with its 3rd and final season. I thought the 3rd season was actually the weakest, so I'm okay with it drawing to a close, and the finale was mostly satisfying. It's a very niche show, but if you like gory, bizarre stuff, I definitely recommend the first season.

I watched the first two seasons of The Walking Dead, but eventually the nihilistic, dystopian post-apocalypse where everybody's a tool got on my nerves. Still, if you like that sort of thing, the show does it better than most.

Fear the Walking Dead is a contender for stupidest title on air, but it also broke viewership records when it premiered. I like Cliff Curtis, and the idea of watching the slow swirl of society into the toilet bowl has some appeal, so I may give it a try when it reaches Hulu.

I just recently got into the whole "serials / miniseries made outside of the networks" world. Here are some of the ones I have really enjoyed that you might not know about:

Dexter, Carnivàle, Transparent, Deadwood, Orange is the New Black, Show Me a Hero, Olive Kitteridge, Fargo.

Of course, there is also Breaking Bad. But you would have to live on a different planet to not know about that.

I just recently got into the whole "serials / miniseries made outside of the networks" world. Here are some of the ones I have really enjoyed that you might not know about:

Dexter, Carnivàle, Transparent, Deadwood, Orange is the New Black, Show Me a Hero, Olive Kitteridge, Fargo.

Of course, there is also Breaking Bad. But you would have to live on a different planet to not know about that.
I only watched the first two seasons of Dexter, but I really liked it. You may also like Weeds.
I almost got Amazon Prime just so I could watch Transparent and season 2 of The Americans, but they make you buy a whole year at once, so I couldn't pull the trigger. They're also doing The Man in the High Castle.
Orange is the New Black is good, as is Daredevil, if you're into people knocking the crap out of each other.

Oh, I forgot to mention The Americans. That is also fantastic.

Unfortunately, Dexter falls off a bit at the end. But I guess that is true of just about any TV show.

You can buy Transparent in SD pretty cheaply. I highly recommend you do so, and the first episode is free. You can also sign up for a free month of Amazon Prime and cancel it before the first month ends for no charge at all. They even let you continue to do this after a brief period, at least more than once! I plan to do it again to watch the new seasons of The Americans and Transparent. The Americans is also available on DVD on Netflix.

That show is simply wonderful. I just watched the first couple of reruns and enjoyed them almost as much as I did the first time I watched them. His "new" character is probably even more delightfully likable in a sleezy and reprehensible sort of way. And there is the added bonus of having other characters from Breaking Bad making reappearances in similarly slightly different form.

I haven't watched TV proper since the analog-digitial shift in 2009, but I collect DVD collections on the cheap. I'm about to start the fifth season of The Office and the ninth season of How I Met Your Mother, followed by the fifth, third, and third seasons of Little Mosque on the Prairie, Jeeves and Wooster, and The Wonder Years, respectively.

Downton Abby is the only show I watch that still airs, but it only has one more season.

I watch NCIS, Big Bang Theory, the Voice [occasionally] and some news. Everything else is DVDs, almost always bargain-bin dvds..

Oh yeah, I blundered across a Mythbusters episode yesterday, the first one I've seen since 2009! :woohoo:

I watch NCIS, Big Bang Theory, the Voice [occasionally] and some news. Everything else is DVDs, almost always bargain-bin dvds..

Oh yeah, I blundered across a Mythbusters episode yesterday, the first one I've seen since 2009! :woohoo:
If you like Mythbusters, I recommend keeping an eye out for Rocket City Rednecks. It's kind of "Mythbusters-meets-the Blue Collar Comedy Tour." Episodes include "20,000 Kegs Under the Sea", "Sweet Drone Alabama", "Rocket-Powered Bass Boat", and "Hillbilly Hovercraft."

These people are too stupid for words.

Link to video.

Not only did they nearly kill themselves, they broke all sorts of federal and state laws while recording themselves doing it.

Did you hear about NCIS: New Orleans? With Scott Bakula?

Maybe it's time to retire all non-Gibbs containing NCIS serials...

Did you hear about NCIS: New Orleans? With Scott Bakula?

They lost me :thumbsdown: in the spin-off episode in which the agents from NCISNO beat up two (2) suspects! :eek: Bakula hurled a lobbyist across the hood of a car and later the lady agent bounced a guy's face of the interrogation table. WTF?! :gripe:

I had hopes for Killjoys the science fiction bounty hunter series, but the characters have the personalities of cold, mash potato sandwiches. :sleep:

It's not like the original NCIS agents were very nice... But I find that the characters are fairly boring and don't have much character.

For some reason, the DC NCIS has found a good balance in personalities which doesn't make them overtly ridiculous..Something that the LA NCIS is missing so hilariously it's not even funny. All of them are some kind of clowns.

I don't watch a ton of TV but one series grabbed my attention recently which was Mr. Robot. The pilot episode was phenomenal. It was well acted, well written, has a group of demented but interesting characters, and the computer hacking scenes were at least somewhat realistic instead of the shallow, slapdash way its done in other TV series.

Unfortunately the rest of the season devolved into "Fight Club - With Hackers!" and relying on shock factor to keep the audience's attention. I guess that was enough though to keep me interested as I watched every episode and I'm at least mildly anticipating season 2.

I started watching Drunk History last night, extremely entertaining.

Oh, I forgot Vikings. I've watched seasons one and two of it on DVD. I like it more for the pitched battles and scenery than the power-drama, but it's very well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom