What Video Games Have You Been Playing? Eight times I've died...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soon my numberless HORSE ARCHER shall destroy you all!
upload_2018-7-17_13-28-8.png

"But that unit isn't even in this game!"

Well, I self-imposed some restrictions. Only colonize new habitats when old ones fill up. Only build outposts in valuable nearby systems and enough adjacent systems to reduce piracy after I researched all the pirates’ tech. Don’t interfere with primitive or presapient species at all (I got some nasty neighbors from that restriction when I could have had them under my protectorate). Use console commands to replace mineral deposits on ringworlds (and poor quality mineral planets, such as the size 12 Gaia world I still haven’t colonized) with energy (constant day), food (perfect climate), or research (precursor’s ringworld, hello). As such, I got to repeatable techs before I built the Science Nexus and ended up colonizing an Ocean World (my species’ prefered planet) for the minerals and set it to my new capital (because Utopia Expanded allows Fallen Empire buildings to be built on Ringworlds, Machine Worlds, Gaia Worlds, and Capital Planets and Tier V buildings be built anywhere). Now that I’m in a Federation, my total fleet size is only 142, which is approximately the limit. Asteria A has Automatic Fabricators on its mineral deposits (can’t change colonized planets and Asteria A is my homeworld).

Yeah it does. If you're going to portray a galaxy as a 2D map then why not have map game features. If SPACE is just window dressing rather than an actual feature, then commit to it.

To some extent yeah? I'm very much aware that I mentally reduce FPS games to Architecture, Void, Players and overlay these with Routes of Travel and Estimated Vision Cones.
Mechanisms is the only part thats real y'know?
:shake:
That's just sad.

I'm not on the Paradox forums, but can I deduce from these posts that hyperlanes-for-everyone are the Stellaris equivalent of 1upt ?
I like the change. It makes expansion more strategic and wars less chaotic.
I'm also playing Stellaris right now. Found a random derelict Ringworld and had the Cybrex event chain, so now I have I two broken down Ringworlds in my territory, and Sanctuary is also close to my borders. And of course I have Living Metal and the research option for it. Perfect start for a Pacifist empire.

No, they're the equivalent of RUINED FOREVER, given that they work much better than 1 upt ever did.

I die a little more inside each time I see someone saying that the massive dumbing down of hyperlane-chokepoint is "making the game more strategic" :vomit:

Well, just like those who loudly announce that they'll be staying on 1.9 forever, you're no longer the target audience.

As Orson Scott Card reminded us, you cannot defend in space wars, only attack.

And in a video game, that's boring and silly and dumb.

I'm not on the Paradox forums, but can I deduce from these posts that hyperlanes-for-everyone are the Stellaris equivalent of 1upt ?

I guess probably. I hardly noticed a change since I played with hyperlanes only checked before the big patch, since that was what it said to do on the forums if you're a beginner.

I tried playing with worhmholes once and found the microing to be very intensive.

I thought it was really great of them to go into detail about why they felt the different FTL methods were hampering the development of the game. Also a brave choice to go seeking a more global optimum rather then waste effort on what was nevertheless an established and familiar feature.

I dunno, I did like the idea of different travel types in the game. But they changed it before I felt like I had a handle on it. I had played a few (abortive) games in all-FTL-type galaxies as a Hyperspace empire before the patch rolled in.

Oh wow, they are using those graphics in 2017?

Why? Even the most potato of potato computers could support at least tenfold better... they're going to be stuck in obscurity forever.
Hey, I thought one of the signs of being part of the PC GAMING MASTER RACE is that unlike the DIRTY CONSOLE PEASANTS we don't go "muh grafix".

Anyhow, the devs have said the effort to remake well over a thousand sprites as 3d models that looks good is well beyond the resources of two guys working part time. While some of the sprites need help badly, the newer factions like Bogarus or Mekone have some pretty nice sprites.

:shake:
That's just sad.

Let me share something with you that I think is legit sad: That you lose the ability to enjoy mostly good (or even just mostly ok) things due to small niggles. I mean, I struggle with perfectionism in my own work, losing time to making trivial improvements on something that is sufficient, and I hate that about me. But to suffer other peoples mistakes like aching teeth? That sounds a terrible burden to bear.

I dunno, I did like the idea of different travel types in the game. But they changed it before I felt like I had a handle on it. I had played a few (abortive) games in all-FTL-type galaxies as a Hyperspace empire before the patch rolled in.
Have you tried Sword of the Stars?

(The original)

Eh?

How the hell did I miss this?

Ender's Shadow said:
“Well of course fortifications are impossible in space,” said Bean. “In the traditional sense, that is. But there are things you can do. Like his mini-fortresses, where you leave a sallying force outside the main fortification. You can station squads of ships to intercept raiders. And there are barriers you can put up. Mines. Fields of flotsam to cause collisions with fast-moving ships, holing them. That sort of thing.” Dimak nodded, but said nothing. Bean was beginning to warm to the discussion.

“The real problem is that unlike Vauban, we have only one strong point worth defending — Earth. And the enemy is not limited to a primary direction of approach. He could come from anywhere. From anywhere all at once. So we run into the classic problem of defense, cubed. The farther out you deploy your defenses, the more of them you have to have, and if your resources are limited, you soon have more fortifications than you can man. What good are bases on moons Jupiter or Saturn or Neptune, when the enemy doesn’t even have to come in on the plane of the ecliptic? He can bypass all our fortifications. The way Nimitz and MacArthur used two- dimensional island-hopping against the defense in depth of the Japanese in World War II. Only our enemy can work in three dimensions. Therefore we cannot possibly maintain defense in depth. Our only defense is early detection and a single massed force… [E]ven that was a recipe for disaster, because the enemy is free to divide his forces.

and then, a little later,

“There’s no point in trying to defend Earth at all. In fact, unless they have some defensive device we don’t know about, like some way of putting an invisible shield around a planet or something, the enemy is just as vulnerable. So the only strategy that makes any sense at all is an all-out attack.

Have you tried Sword of the Stars?

(The original)

Nope, I've got it in my Steam library but haven't yet gotten to playing it.
Oh God the original Sword of the Stars is awesome. Nothing quite like the rush of a perfectly executed blitz raid using the Terran Node Drives (think Foldspace drives from Dune) or the oncoming dread of the Hivers (they only have sublight drives but freakishly tough ships, and once their fleet gets to a location (not even conquered it, just get there) the Hivers can deploy warp gates that lets them instantaneously bring in new ships).

My space-tanks got pwned by a space-spearman on a space mountain!
:spear:

Civ 3 Worse Civ of all time. ALL TIME !
(I gave up because of the endless crashes and bugs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom