What Video Games Have You Been Playing? Eight times I've died...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, dunno why they never fixed empire with napoleon's features
The one thing Napoleon got right that no other TW game has understood is scale - specifically, the scale of the map and the scale of time. Empire with a proper map, scaled to Napoleon's size (i.e. keep everything that was on the Empire map but make it much bigger and more granular), and a proper time scale, rather than two turns per year, would've been delightful.

EDIT: deleted extraneous quotation mark

Last edited:
Playing Dominions 5 as Yomi, a nation inspired by the Oni of Japanese mythology. One thing that makes Yomi unique is that apart from some early game chaff they don't recruit units normally. Instead, they generally only recruit commanders -Demon Priests and Oni Kings. By trashing your scales (ie: the general bonuses your Pretender God can give your empire) it increases the chances of lesser oni spawning so you can rely on freespawn rather than recruiting your own units.

I'm rather hard pressed right now, facing a two-front war against Atlantis -one of the underwater nations capable of going on land- and Rus - a nation based off of pagan Lithuanian/Slavic mythology. While the Atlantis campaign is going well Rus just took one of my forts. I've struggled against them as they field units that are very good at taking down my heavily armed Oni Kings and various lesser oni. Hopefully my gamble is going to pay off as I've spent the game beelining Thaumaturgy spells so I can cast a double whammy of Global Enchantments - Burden of Time, alongside End of Culture. Burden of Time vastly accelerates the rate units age at and gives a whole host of unrest and income penalties across the board. My demons aren't really affected by aging and my research mages have a unique spell that lets them transform into demons. End of Culture vastly boosts the rate at which oni spawn. Hopefully I'll be able to drown Atlantis, Rus, and the other nations in an endless sea of demons while their own economies and armies grind to a halt.

Oh wow, they are using those graphics in 2017?

Why? Even the most potato of potato computers could support at least tenfold better... they're going to be stuck in obscurity forever.

WOTs I was certain that the Australia server would be more mature, but trash talking is just as bad, weekend gold spammers are as horriable as ever and seal clubbing at low tiers with $100 premium tanks.
The low tier Italian tanks are surprisingly easy even when running them with 50% crews, I cant be bothered wasting credits with crew retraining at low levels, it dosnt take long to get to tier 6 anyways

The good news is most of the aimbotters seem to be playing on the Asia server, where it was maddening to have your gun shoot out by the first shot of the game, then use your repair kit only to have the gun shoot out again straight away

Also have been playing some Sanctum 2. It's got the key elements of the first one, but with different balance. The first one was largely about building a puzzle, and was pretty free-form. It also had the choice of a tower or FPS focus. The second one constrains the resources a bit more, so you can't just build a crazy-long puzzle for the monsters. Thus is also forces a bit of balance to FPS vs tower defence. But each map is very well-balanced, round-to-round. Whereas in the first one you could have maps where you'd coast easily from round to round, only to have a sudden surge in difficulty, in the second one the pacing is a lot better. Which is also more important, since it's structured as a storyline, and you have to beat one map to go on to the next.

Not sure I have a preference yet, but it's a good sequel. Keep the core elements that made the first game popular there, but with a somewhat different focus of those elements that provides variety.

I admit I used a mod that allows your home system to be a 12-section ringworld.

I hope most of the sections were ruined or it would make the game not very fun (way too easy).

I just fired up a new game of Stellaris and found the changed hyperlane system pretty challenging, it made my empire nearly indefensible since I started in the outer rim, then a freaking Star Wraith appeared in a chokepoint system between two parts of my territory. Reading on the forums and whatnot I see you basically need a powerful midgame fleet (~40k) to take the wraith down (my total fleet power at this point is around 4k), and in the meantime it's gliding around destroying my systems.

I'm going to start a new game with more hyperlane density.

Be careful with a higher density - it reduces the amount of choke-points and makes fortresses less useful.

Be careful with a higher density - it reduces the amount of choke-points and makes fortresses less useful.

It's generating too many chokepoints as is. I rely much more on fleets for defense than fortresses in any case.

Yeah, we wouldn't want the endless void of space lacking in... chokepoints ?

Yeah we wouldn't want a game to use an....abstraction
And chokepoints are an abstraction of... what, exactly ?
The star systems are 2D, the galaxy map is functionally 2D, so might as well have Space Terrain tbh.
The last point does not logically follow from the first two.

I really wonder if you people actually see the games beyond the mechanisms or if you just would play Excel sheets just as well :crazyeye:

And chokepoints are an abstraction of... what, exactly ?

The hyperlane system, which creates chokepoints, is an abstraction of space travel.

If you're arguing that chokepoints are unrealistic in space, well, the whole game is totally, utterly unrealistic. There is zero realism to it, period.

If you're arguing that chokepoints make for a worse game, then just do that and don't reference the "endless void of space."

Your armies are gonna get dumpstered by my space cataphracts camping on this space mountain terrain.

The last point does not logically follow from the first two.

Yeah it does. If you're going to portray a galaxy as a 2D map then why not have map game features. If SPACE is just window dressing rather than an actual feature, then commit to it.

I really wonder if you people actually see the games beyond the mechanisms or if you just would play Excel sheets just as well :crazyeye:

To some extent yeah? I'm very much aware that I mentally reduce FPS games to Architecture, Void, Players and overlay these with Routes of Travel and Estimated Vision Cones.

Mechanisms is the only part thats real y'know?

Your armies are gonna get dumpstered by my space cataphracts camping on this space mountain terrain.
My space-tanks got pwned by a space-spearman on a space mountain!
:spear:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom