What's the deal with Serbia?

Sidney Magal

Latin Lover
People keep making Serbia jokes around here. Is there any particular reason, like an impopular Serbian poster or something?

What did Serbia do wrong?

How many Serbs does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None. They just get 10 Poles to do it for them! :lol:

You got Serbs in Serbia and thats Serbia and Serbs in Kosovo and Croatia but that's not Serbia.

What's the deal with that?!?

Generally Serbia was always hated by everybody except for Russia. English hated Serbia because they:
Loved Turks
Always throughout is history prevented Serbia from gaining a seaport, always always prevented them from having one. Either with Montenegro, or some war forced on little Serbia.
I am not sure why they would bother so much with such an insignifciant people, I figure that these people had such big hearts that even with their small numbers the British feared to death what would happen if Serbia was to be allowed the ability to unite itself. Serbs were living all the way to the adriatic, I am not sure why in their evilness or shortsightedness they forbid these people from getting a seaport, and Greater Serbia.
So any literature written in English is always negative about Serbia, whether by calling them slaves or insignificant or monsterous or animals and all other adjectives in english used to call their enemies.
There is not any positive thing written abouts Serbs because England hated Serbs.

Ha, I thought they just force a Croat, 3 Kosovars and 5 Bosniaks to do it for them at gunpoint :mischief:

I dunno. Polish jokes are the only Eastern European jokes I know exist so I tried incorporating that but I'll have to remember that one!

I hate Serbia because it is filled with South Slavs.

Serbia doesn't get along with there neighbors..... Oh and there stinky too!:p

For a more serious answer I suppose....Serbia along with Albania and Bosnia, is basically the frontier of None-Former USSR Europe. It is one of the few areas of the continent still plagued by disorder on a national scale and the relating crime and poverty that pore out of the region have an effect on all of Europe. Basically it just stands out. Compared with the rest of Europe where peace is the norm, even other former Eastern Bloc areas like Bulgaria and Romania, it is like a place trapped in time.

It is crazy to think some place so poor and conflict ridden is so close to places like Austria where the standard of living is amongst the highest in the world.

For a more serious answer I suppose....Serbia along with Albania and Bosnia, is basically the frontier of None-Former USSR Europe. It is one of the few areas of the continent still plagued by disorder on a national scale and the relating crime and poverty that poor out of the region have an effect on all of Europe. Basically it just stands out. Compared with the rest of Europe where peace is the norm, even other former Eastern Bloc areas like Bulgaria and Romania, it is like a place trapped in time.

It is crazy to think some place so poor and conflict ridden is so close to places like Austria where the standard of living is amongst the highest in the world.

It is at least partially their own fault due to the rampant ethnic nationalism. Though really after Tito's death I guess it just couldn't last.

Top Bottom