Which book are you reading now? Volume X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reading two.

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain. This one is on my Kindle app. It's a fictionalized story about Ernest Hemingway in the twenties, told from the perspective of his wife. Fascinating read. Unfortunately it is pretty true to life and I made the mistake of googling the story so I know the ending. :(

The Conscience of an Anarchist by Gary Chartier. Simple an awesome piece of work. Gary is so warm and expressive when he explains how he became an anarchist. The introduction alone is worth the cost of the book and much more awaits.

It's completely true though. The founding and revolutionary career of the US Navy was fantastic chutzpah.

I'm not doubting that the founding of the US Navy isn't an awesome story worth telling (and having read the book a few years back, I still recommend it). I thought it was funny the British version specifically mentions how awesome the British navy is while talking about the founding of the American navy. :)

Also, this book doesn't focus on the Revolutionary navy, but more on the US Navy that fought the Barbary Pirates and the War of 1812. I'm not sure that's what you meant by the phrase "revolutionary career", but I figured I would point it out in case anyone picks up the book thinking they will be seeing the 1770s and is disappointed to find the story is set 2-4 decades later.

I'm not doubting that the founding of the US Navy isn't an awesome story worth telling (and having read the book a few years back, I still recommend it). I thought it was funny the British version specifically mentions how awesome the British navy is while talking about the founding of the American navy. :)

Also, this book doesn't focus on the Revolutionary navy, but more on the US Navy that fought the Barbary Pirates and the War of 1812. I'm not sure that's what you meant by the phrase "revolutionary career", but I figured I would point it out in case anyone picks up the book thinking they will be seeing the 1770s and is disappointed to find the story is set 2-4 decades later.

Oh I see. Well to be fair, the situation the Navy found itself in in 1812 is obviously similar to that in the 1770s. And the Barbary adventure was indeed epic!

The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. Dick.

Awesome book btw.

The German Genius: Europe's Third Renaissance, The Second Scientific Revolution, and the Twentieth Century - Peter Watson

"A Dance With dragons" by Geroge RR Martin. Im reading this first
"The rainbow and the Worm: The physics of organisms" by Mae-Wan Hoe
"Slow light" by Sidney Perkowitz

Those are my Xrismas gift :)

Juggling Karl Marx, Anthropologist by Thomas C. Patterson and Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe by Norman Davies, because I have no patience.

The House of Silk, by Anthony Horowitz -- The new Sherlock Holmes novel, approved by the Conan Doyle Estate. I love Horowitz, and I love Holmes, so should be a good combo!

Do Hard Things, by Alex and Brett Harris -- a book growing in popularity among Christian circles for teenagers. Alex goes to our church, actually.

1Q48 by Haruki Murakami
The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han by Mark Edward Lewis
The Generalissimo: Chiang Kai-Shek and the Struggle for Modern China by Jay Taylor

I so excited.

1493. Pretty interesting.

His previous book floored me. I'd be very much interested in hearing your take on this when you finish it.

I've got my "Christmas read", Sharpe's Enemy, which is set in late December 1813...and a book I received for Christmas, John Grisham's The Litigators. This one is sort of like The King of Torts meets The Street Lawyer with some three stooges thrown in.

I have finished it. It's interesting, but it's a little hard to follow. The author tends to wander around a bit and then tie it together later.

The premise of the book is to explore what changed in the world as a result of Columbus' voyage and "discovery of the new world". What he most follows is the biological effects of of the mixing of the species of the old world and new. It's a very different way to look at the history of a number of places. And a very different view of some of things "known" about the new world.

With this guy, I'm glad I read his work, for the information, but I'm less pleased by the presentation.

I'm starting Pacific Crucible by Ian Toll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom