Which book are you reading now? Volume XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just purchased a second hand copy of:

The Medusa Chronicles

by

Stephen Baxter & Alastair Reynolds

I don't know what it is about, but these two gentlemen
are very much in my top ten of living active British authors.

You forgot to post a link to the new thread, Edward, but issue solved.

In times of political persecution I am being a man's man and reading political satire and political analysis. Will post more.

Devine has the curious accolade of being one of the leading scholarly critics of Scottish romanticism while at the same time being one of the leading intellectuals of Scottish nationalism, which makes him a very good author of this sort of book, because he is equally stubborn in his refusal to capitulate before shortbread tins and tartan dollies on the one hand, and inhumane narratives of "progress" on the other.

Oh! a new thread. :)

The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu (translated by Ken Liu) is engrossing, imaginative science fiction. It tells the story of the first contact between humans and aliens and the fallout from that. The story jumps around between the cultural revolution in China, through the 80's and into the very near future. I can't get over how darn interesting the story and fictional worlds are.

It's beautifully written in an unconventional (or more accurately, non-western) style. Liu leans heavily on exposition and the dialogue is stilted and unrealistic. Surprisingly, the story doesn't suffer for this as it is primarily plot-driven and has good, tight prose.

I loved this description of the chaos of the 60's in China:
Battles like this one raged across Beijing like a multitude of CPUs working in parallel, their combined output, the Cultural Revolution.

I was a bit surprised to read on Wikipedia that Liu is a staunch supporter of Chinese policy on controversial topics because this book was an earnest and brave take on the madness that consumed their country in the 60's. While I know that a lot of the prohibitions on discussing the Cultural Revolution have passed, Liu doesn't try and make the case that the government was fundamentally reformed after those tumultuous times. If anything, he shows echos of that fanatical excess in Chinese government in the story's modern timelines. But it's only echos; the book isn't a deep critique of the modern state even if he doesn't shy away from showing its warts or exposing the skeletons in its closet. It also may be the case that he is a staunch supporter of official policy because he has to be.

There are some oddities in his writing style that are not unwelcome. On top of the aforementioned exposition, he also compresses events across time into single scenes. For example

Spoiler :
When the aliens create a nanomachine weapon out of a proton, it takes them several attempts over several years. Yet the time passed from sentence to sentence seamlessly in the same paragraph. Characters were having active conversations with each other across years which was very unusual and yet awesome.

He also included a character list in the very beginning which I have never seen before and was super helpful in keeping everyone straight.

I would not say his characters are either idealized or caricatured but they all have very stilted, unnatural dialogue. It would be easy to ascribe this to the translation process but the translation has been held in high esteem and I got the sense that while some turns of phrase might be due to misfit metaphors, mostly I just think Liu writes stilted characters. I can't stress enough though that this isn't really a problem, or at least it wasn't for me.

Liu constructed a tight narrative that leaned heavily on plausible (even if fantastical!) science for the most part and it is all just so darn interesting. I know I've used that word now twice but really that's how I'd sum up the whole book: Extremely Interesting.

Spoiler :
I found the aliens to be the best part. At the very end of the book they are fully revealed and their plans laid bare. They are so supremely confident in themselves that they openly taunt mankind and share their plans for domination and displacement knowing the humans are but mere bugs from their perspective.

What I think is telling though is how insanely confident they are. During one of their attempts to create a nanomachine weapon out of a proton, they unleash a nemesis from a higher dimension which sets about trying to destroy their entire planet. They stop the attack and showed absolutely no concern for the damage that it caused and how narrowly they avoided catastrophe. For them, it was just another day.

Or at least that is how their leaders are shown to act. Their average citizens are briefly shown to have more normal worries and morals like us and even act with courage to right wrongs when they can. I think the arrogance of their leaders will be their downfall.

Thank you @Birdjaguar for the recommendation!

Also, damn you @Birdjaguar, now I have to make another unplanned ride up to the library for the sequel. I don't have time for this #$*^

Seriously it's a thought piece and it's been stewing in my brain for several days now. I got to the last 30 pages on the train and then didn't have a chance to finish it for several days but I kind of relish that I had some breathing room to reflect and think back on the story before it wrapped up. Not many books do that for me - and of those that do, they are rarely fiction.

Last edited:
He also included a character list in the very beginning which I have never seen before and was super helpful in keeping everyone straight.

You've never seen a cast list at the start of a book before? Read some Marcus Didius Falco novels then!

I've had Cibola Burn borrowed for four days after waiting for two months and I haven't been able to read it because I'm still working through Empress by Karen Miller. My reading has slowed incredibly in the past month and a half. Almost two weeks on Empress and I've read a third of it. It's a long book, longer than an Expanse novel, but still. I'll probably need to return Cibola Burn and re-enter the hold queue...

You've never seen a cast list at the start of a book before? Read some Marcus Didius Falco novels then!

I prefer cast lists at the end, it being best not to look at them until you need to, as premature reading may give the plot away.

The exception is if the book is a sequel and it is necessary to read the cast list to understand the starting point.

I like it at the beginning. If I don't want to look, then I just don't look.

They didn't spoil anything by putting the cast list up front in The Three Body Problem. It was super useful because the names are mostly Chinese and harder for me to memorize (and I'm bad with English names to start with). If they had put it in the back, I likely would not have seen it at all until I was done.

The translator had a 2 or 3 page section at the end of the book where he talked about the process of translating a work of fiction. It was interesting and I wish he had taken more pages to give examples of what he changed. One takeaway of his write up is that he thinks translation is sometimes more difficult and creative than writing original work. I got his point but am not sure I completely agree. Not trivializing the effort at all but I think he gave himself too much credit.

Oh one character was an absolute caricature - the American special operations general. His stories about Vietnam and Panama were so over the top and dumb I :lol:'d

@hobbsyoyo Nice review! I'm halfway through book two. It is very character driven and moving through the 400 years in leaps and bounds. Quite good. :)

Read 2/5ths of Childhood's End.
It is very plainly written. I also didn't like how the reveal was done (the first reveal).
Seems a bit dead as well - not that I am very well-read on sci-fi, but (eg) Phillip Dick stories are certainly more alive and one has the sense that the characters are there, instead of just pretending you aren't reading lines on a page.

The fact I had watched the tv series made me not care about the reveal anyway, but even so it did get presented very early in the book and in just a few lines.

Near a third into ' Fire with Fire by Charles E. Gannon' , free at Baen in all formats.
https://www.baen.com/fire-with-fire.html

The main character is a 'Polymath' and doesn't use any tricks to win, one reviewer sez he's an expert in martial arts, not that I see, it's just he sees what's around and uses it to his advantage.

As i posted am nearly a third way thru and his mentors are going to give him a watcher, a female watcher.

The story involves his being tasked with exploring a highly valuable planet for intelligent life, naturally there are those that want the planet to be exploitable and will do 'anything' to stop him

Read the short story "A surgeon's tale", by J.P. Dixon.

The last part of it isn't realistic at all, but has a Grand-Guignol vibe. If anyone has watched scenes from the infamous movie "Boxing Helena", it is a similar setting.

Anyway, if you feel like reading it, here is a brief review I wrote of The Surgeon's Tale:

The tipping point - A review of the story “A Surgeon’s Tale”, by J.P. Dixon

Regarding its theme, “A Surgeon’s Tale” is alluding to the literature of the Grand Guignol, the french 19th century horror theatre. Dixon consciously constructs this tie, by both referring to the Grand Guignol as well as meticulously describing a bleak neighborhood in London where an obscure theatrical venue for such acts aspires to maintain an audience of horror-enthusiasts.

Form-wise, the story is essentially written in a third-person limited narrative. We do get to read of how some other characters feel, but only in relation to the long narration by the protagonist, the surgeon Tobin. Tobin is addressing some of his colleagues, decades after the main events. The narration itself has the typical dynamic of first-person narrative, which in this case creates a very powerful effect, due to Tobin’s guilt about the part he played in the strange and sinister case of Paulette – the female actress in that out-of-the-way theater's macabre show.

As far as the personalities of those two are concerned we, again, see a very familiar, and potent, dynamic: Tobin is the observer, a scientifically-oriented personality who in the process gets more and more involved with the object he observes, up until he becomes the facilitator of Paulette’s final descend to annihilation. Paulette, on the other hand, is the centerpiece of the story, given she initiates the tragic events and seems to be happy to continue destroying herself. At this point, we should – of course – present what exactly it is that Paulette does in her show, and why she does indeed seem to be both a person and an object.

She was originally was hired by the theater's manager because of her lack of ability to feel any pain whatsoever, and consequently was paid for a while to – merely – sink needles inside her body, or make a few not so deep cuts. However, the popularity of her act waned, and the loss of interest by the public lead to a tipping point: One night, as the show was ending, someone from the audience yelled at Paulette that anyone could do what she does. Paulette – having already been relegated to the last supporting act – instinctively reacted... Using the knife in her hand, she chopped off one of her fingers, and then reproachfully asked the spectator if that too was something everyone could do. Her unexpected, gruesome, but perhaps more poignantly irreversible action, instantly caused a frenzy. Paulette had just acquired a loyal fan-base.

For nine more shows she could enjoy this effect, by cutting off the rest of her fingers. Then she had to decide what would come next.

Surgeon Tobin meets Paulette for the first time in a small pub. Already Paulette has lost large parts of her hands. Tobin at first assumes the girl had a series of terrible accidents, but later he visits the theatre during one of her shows and gets to see her fully amputate the last remnants of her hand. By that time, her legs already are partly gone as well. A discussion in her dressing room follows, and during their talk it is revealed that Paulette wishes to establish how much of her body she can lose without dying.

The final part of the story is certainly far less realistic. After Tobin finishes the amputation of both legs, he is implored by Paulette to try to take away a bit of her torso. A number of procedures follow. At some point Paulette is resembling the bust of a statue, but soon she requests more operations, and her face is erased as well. By the end she resembles a small box of flesh and has no ability to do anything other than breathe and – we are to assume – think. Briefly afterwards, Tobin discovers that the box of flesh is cold: Paulette has died.

I think that the story contains some very memorable images. A problem is that its final part doesn’t come across as convincing, and given that the writer was reliant on both historic and medical information to build up his narrative, I sense that the epilogue likely diminished the overall effectiveness of his work. Perhaps a fault was that Dixon attempted to present a great many focal points: apart from the core focus (Paulette’s progressive transformation into an amorphous bit of flesh), we also are told of Tobin’s erotic inclinations towards the girl (they even have sex just before Paulette’s genitals are removed), his ever-present aspirations to be a notable scientist (we are told that this is why he keeps operating on her, completing procedures which are surely unheard of) and, lastly, his guilt about his own role in the story. Those concurrent focal points are, in my view, not adequately examined:

Tobin feels remorse, yet we don’t read any elaboration; Tobin is proud of being a cutting-edge surgeon, but nothing becomes of his work and even the loss there is to be merely inferred, though analyzing it might have helped the final part of the story acquire a more believable tone.

In conclusion, I do think that the first part of the story was very elegantly crafted. There we had to follow Tobin in his quest to understand – first understand what exactly was happening to Paulette, then understand why she was doing this to herself. This first part concludes with his personal involvement in the last ever operation on the stage of the theatre of the macabre. The second, and final part, seems to be a fusion of unrealistic events and inferred shame. Tobin continues his work on Paulette, yet the reader is in a way, I feel, robbed of a much needed intervening passage where Tobin’s progression from an obsessed fan of Paulette to a sadistic enabler of her final destruction would have become available. Perhaps such a passage would satisfy another type of audience: not Tobin or the other fans in the Grand-Guignol-like theatre, not someone interested in observing the cut, but someone wishing to learn more about the tipping point...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom