Which word from another language do you need in your language?

I have two Irish words:

1. Sláinte (The equivalent of "cheers" - Literally translated as "health") - Totally baffles people when I say it in pubs.

2. Fáilte ("Welcome") - Such a nice way of saying it. I have a plaque by my door that says "Fáilte" and it delightfully baffles newcomers to my home.

Added bonus: Listening to people trying to pronounce them if they are read rather than spoken. :)

I have two Irish words:

1. Sláinte (The equivalent of "cheers" - Literally translated as "health") - Totally baffles people when I say it in pubs.

2. Fáilte ("Welcome") - Such a nice way of saying it. I have a plaque by my door that says "Fáilte" and it delightfully baffles newcomers to my home.

Added bonus: Listening to people trying to pronounce them if they are read rather than spoken. :)
Oh, come on! Brennus the Gaul even says ‘Cead mile failte’ when greeting you in Civ3. (let's forget that Gauls spoke non-Goidelic languages :shifty:)

And people go on about Baba Yetu…

I have never played Civ3.

catlak, I need that word, it literally means "crack" but it's used similarly like "silly", however people would not get offended or insulted by it (because if the Turk insult, they use more explicit and vulgar words) and it cracks laughter. The more closer meaning would be "crazy", but it's also not exactly that, we use it to joke around among us.

@r16

Maybe Cumhuriyet's bot can help to elaborate here.

I played it a month ago. Still fun but buggy on modern PC so it's hard.
Really? I still play it on occasions and it seems fine to me.

On steam it's not working so well for me.
Ah. I got steam for 5, and it irritated me with the problems that I have not even tried 6, the first in the series I have not played. Old school tech FTW.

It's driving me insane: I have PTW and Conquest right here, but can't find the base game DVD anymore...

Top Bottom