While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because, while GPA is influenced by four years of high school, SAT is a single test taken over the course of several hours. So people prepare for it a lot more even though that kind of effort would've been better suited for actually studying.

Also, it's a standardized test, which means I walked away with a 2310 because that is easy. Acing the SAT is done with increasing frequency.

Oh and people spend hundreds (thousands?) on SAT prep material and classes. It's a racket.

It's always surprised me that the "preparing you to enter the work force is the primary purpose of education" people have never tried to push for something like the ASVAB to become standard as opposed to SAT/ACT. It was far more practical-minded.

People give Skyler a lot of grief but I'm on S4E10 of Breaking Bad and Ted Beneke is far and away the dumbest character in the show.

Spoiler :
"My life is ruined either way!"
No, broheim, your life will be demonstrably worse if you're serving 5 years in a federal prison rather than if you're just bankrupt.

I see. Doesn't seem exactly ideal as an assessment method to me, but I suppose no assessment method really is.

It certainly isn't ideal; the College Board is one of the more insidious fixtures of the American corporate House of Horrors.

Technically we don't have a counterexample to know what it *requires*. If you simulate n alternate worlds with 0 governments and give me a t score of the monopolization level mean which exceeds 2sigma, you can be right for f(g)>f(0), which is presumably inverse to the monopolization.

"Hey guys, I know how to write stuff that looks math-y!"

People give Skyler a lot of grief but I'm on S4E10 of Breaking Bad and Ted Beneke is far and away the dumbest character in the show.

White, male fans of the show give Skyler a lot of grief because she's a dumb whore who doesn't know how to appreciate what a genius and only incidentally criminal person her husband is.

It should be noted that certain colleges look for vastly different things in their admissions process, and weight the factors differently. For larger universities, they look almost entirely at GPA and SAT (or ACT -- different test but basically identical in every meaningful way) scores. For smaller ones, application essays have a bigger role (though as noted by Symph they are also a matter of luck), while some weight is also given to AP or IB test scores, extracurricular participation, and other nonsense. But probably the most perverse thing is that you have to target which colleges you apply to so as to neither aim too high OR too low; schools don't like wasting a spot on candidates they don't think will matriculate, so a stellar candidate who applies to, say, Harvard and Grinnell may well get rejected from one for being too good, and the other for not being good enough.

...respectively, of course. :mischief:

I honestly suggest people applying to university look north of the border. Much cheaper (I paid three grand a year) , less ridiculous essays when applying, and universities that are world class (u of t, McGill, u de m, western, etc.)

White, male fans of the show give Skyler a lot of grief because she's a dumb whore who doesn't know how to appreciate what a genius and only incidentally criminal person her husband is.

And here I thought it had to do with her being an annoying, whiny hypocrite. But male criticisms of females do tend to always be rooted in them having the gall to defy the patriarchy.

This is ignoring that the collaborationist decisions Skyler ultimately made towards the male authority figures in her life were highly anti-feminist. Simplistic analysis, stick to the math cave, C-. Would have been a C if you hadn't brought up an irrelevant racial lens.

I thought the politically correct term was post-feminist?

(Also non-white males are extraordinarily non-misogynistic I guess.)

Why Internet denunciations of patriarchy are always rooted in some "White guys hate women the most" narrative is well beyond me, in a highly general sense the African-American and Hispanic communities are not on good terms with the feminist movement, vis a vis misogynistic rap music, absentee fatherhood (family values!) and Catholicism.

But maybe I am being racist.

(Mockery aside, I think "white [cisgendered heterosexual] males" is just an idiom. I don't think it really has any meaning when people use it like that, it's just a parasite that some people can't/won't bother to resist.)

Why Internet denunciations of patriarchy are always rooted in some "White guys hate women the most" narrative is well beyond me, in a highly general sense the African-American and Hispanic communities are not on good terms with the feminist movement, vis a vis misogynistic rap music, absentee fatherhood (family values!) and Catholicism.

But maybe I am being racist.

Well, you are. It's more socioeconomic than racial, though the latter often manifests itself as the latter for obvious reasons. :p

Er, aren't most of the things he's talking about cultural? Which of course may be predetermined by socioeconomical factors and are taken for racial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom